E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

hid lights for 2010 e60 528i xdrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013 | 09:44 AM
New Members

Default hid lights for 2010 e60 528i xdrive

new to the forums and my 528 had pretty much everything i wanted but the dawm xenon headlamps. i tried searching but no luck on anything certain. just looking to replace my halogens with xenon. i know its h7 and need a canbus kit but need advice on a website.
not looking for cheap 50$ kits. help is appreciated.
Old 05-27-2013 | 10:44 AM
Members

Go to these guys and get this kit with Can-bus.

H7: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

I installed it on my 2008 528i a little over a year ago. Rock solid, no problems, high quality bulbs, ballasts and wiring. Comes with a five year warranty. I bought the 4300k bulbs with the 35 watt ballasts. This gives a light output, color and beam pattern that is identical to BMW factory xenon headlights.

The headlights on our cars are a royal pain to remove and even more finicky to get back in and seated correctly. You want to get a kit that is high quality so that the job only has to be done once. Some cheap kits like DDM that offer "lifetime warranties" may or may not be there in the future, but even more important is you don't want to be pulling out the headlights to replace cheap parts over and over. Believe me, once is enough.

One installation tip: You will need to "notch" the metal base of the HID bulbs so that the return wire of the bulb is sitting below the bulb when it is installed in the headlight assembly. Doing this will avoid having the return wire cast a shadow in your headlight beam.

Oh, and most important, once you get new HID lights installed, make sure you aim the headlights correctly to get the maximum benefit.

Good Luck.
Old 05-27-2013 | 10:56 AM
Members

You mentioned that you had halogens. Are you getting the projectors as well? It is not recommended to use halogen housings with xenon headlights. Not to mention that you'll be blinding oncoming traffic if you put HID bulbs in halogen housings...

Last edited by 540i; 05-27-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2013 | 11:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520D 2008 E60

Originally Posted by acefuture

I installed it on my 2008 528i a little over a year ago. Rock solid, no problems, high quality bulbs, ballasts and wiring. Comes with a five year warranty. I bought the 4300k bulbs with the 35 watt ballasts. This gives a light output, color and beam pattern that is identical to BMW factory xenon headlights.

The headlights on our cars are a royal pain to remove and even more finicky to get back in and seated correctly. You want to get a kit that is high quality so that the job only has to be done once. Some cheap kits like DDM that offer "lifetime warranties" may or may not be there in the future, but even more important is you don't want to be pulling out the headlights to replace cheap parts over and over. Believe me, once is enough.

One installation tip: You will need to "notch" the metal base of the HID bulbs so that the return wire of the bulb is sitting below the bulb when it is installed in the headlight assembly. Doing this will avoid having the return wire cast a shadow in your headlight beam.

Oh, and most important, once you get new HID lights installed, make sure you aim the headlights correctly to get the maximum benefit.

Good Luck.
Hi Ace,

Any chance to show a pic or 2? Can I ask when you install yours, do you need to remove the entire headlight?

Thanks..
Old 05-27-2013 | 01:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

The OP car is an LCI in which the Halogen version for LCI uses projector housing.

Originally Posted by 540i
You mentioned that you had halogens. Are you getting the projectors as well? It is not recommended to use halogen housings with xenon headlights. Not to mention that you'll be blinding oncoming traffic if you put HID bulbs in halogen housings...
Old 05-27-2013 | 02:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acefuture

Good Luck.
+1 I put the same kit in my 528. Great kit
Old 05-27-2013 | 02:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
The OP car is an LCI in which the Halogen version for LCI uses projector housing.
Oh ok, I learn something new every day.
Old 05-27-2013 | 09:40 PM
New Members

Thanks guys for the help...very helpful
Old 05-27-2013 | 10:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ah_heng
Hi Ace,

Any chance to show a pic or 2? Can I ask when you install yours, do you need to remove the entire headlight?

Thanks..
If you mean pictures of the installation process or where I put the ballasts, I didn't take any at the time. With the lights now installed, I'm not going to take them out to show the parts. But, if you mean pictures of the headlight beam down the road or projecting on a wall, I suppose I could do take those in the next couple nights.

You do need to remove the entire headlight assembly to get access to the bulbs and to mount the ballasts and wiring harness securely behind the headlights. I wish it wasn't necessary but the headlight assemblies are so big and there is no access or room to work with them installed in the car.

Don't worry though, believe me, I'm no mechanic and I was able to do it. It's not hard to do, just very time consuming because the headlight assemblies are very fiddly and finicky about going back in correctly and you have to be careful not to scratch your bumper while doing it. It took me over two hours just to get the headlight assemblies back in correctly. A lot of trial and error and starting over and over until finally I did something right (never could figure out what) and they finally went in correctly.

Maybe if I was a professional and had been taking these lights out and installing HID kits in other BMWs every week it would probably be a lot easier because then I'd know exactly what I was doing. But I'm just an owner who watched a couple youtube videos of some Asian fellow popping the headlights out of his E60 and reinstalling them. I just tried to do what he did in the videos.
Old 05-27-2013 | 11:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 520D 2008 E60

Thanks Ace!

Quick Reply: hid lights for 2010 e60 528i xdrive