E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID kit for fogs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did anyone install a HID kit for the fog lights on an e60? if yes then do you need cancellers to stop check bulb stop errors and flickering or its not the same as the low beams?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. You will need error cancellers. Just like you do with low beams. You need them just not bc of the error code but bc if you don't have them the HIDs will draw too much power and then your kit will blow. The error cancellers no only cancel the error message but also reduce the power intake so your kit won't blow. I've had experience haha
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 AM
New Members

HID kit for fogs-%E8%A4%87%E8%A3%BD-i-phone-photo2-639.jpg
Originally Posted by np0218
Yes. You will need error cancellers. Just like you do with low beams. You need them just not bc of the error code but bc if you don't have them the HIDs will draw too much power and then your kit will blow. The error cancellers no only cancel the error message but also reduce the power intake so your kit won't blow. I've had experience haha
The cancellor will not generate power so it cannot save power. It just stablize the power consumption and pretend 55W halogen bulbs.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Members

I bought the HID fogs from John (forum vendor). I'm not sure if the ballasts have built in cancellors but I have no errors that shot up anywhere and love the light from the fogs now.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

yes i know some kits seem to have cancellers built in which is nicer.
the cancellers however get pretty hot and would need to be mounted to a metal frame which is fine for the low beams (loads of metal in the engine bay) but i doubt there is anything like that inside the m sport bumper?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Members

I zip tied mine down to the plastic cover plate under the engine near each fog light (the permanent spot). I've not had any trouble with heat that I can tell and just had everything apart this past weekend looking it all over.

Edit: pic included, sorry not of great quality.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

ah ok so its not actually inside the bumper, but outside, in the engine bay just behind the fogs.
your bumper is however different than mine so they might not be the same.
i know it was the biggest PITA to replace the fogs last time since you more or less need to get under the bumper.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
ah ok so its not actually inside the bumper, but outside, in the engine bay just behind the fogs.
your bumper is however different than mine so they might not be the same.
i know it was the biggest PITA to replace the fogs last time since you more or less need to get under the bumper.
i have the mtech bumper and its fairly easy to mount the fogs. i just removed my headlights and i had more than thought room to mount my fogs
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i 1997 318ti - Sold 1990 535i - Gone

I got the HID fog kit from John also. I don't have any errors and the lights were completely plug and play. The hardest part was finding a place for the ballasts. I just wound up screwing them into the thick metal bar of the front bumper; right under the headlights. They work and look fantastic.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

our Canbus HID 35W is $95.
It is completely plug and play and comes in 6000K, 3000K, 8000K.
it will not cause errors, requires no cancelers, no failures and comes with a 2 year warranty.

It is in stock and ready to ship.

Also, the ballasts come with a built in bracketing and bolts so you can mount them pretty much anywhere you want.

We've been doing lighting longer than any other vendor - over 10 years now, so we've seen it all literally and have the expertise to back it up. Give us a call, you won't be disappointed

Quick Reply: HID kit for fogs