E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID Fogs won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

Well I'm trying to install some HID fog lights and cant seem to get them to work. Yes I am using Error Cancellors and still cant get them turn on? My truck has 9006 fog lights as well so I hook them up to the truck everything works fine, plug them into the E60 and nothing! Not a flicker, not a strobe, the bulb never even lights up. If I plug the stock bulb back in it instantaly lights up. Ive tried the cancellors in any different combo I can (in the middle and in the end of the circuit) and still nothing. ANY IDEAS?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Polarity reversed?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Polarity reversed?
I thought that maybe, but the plugs can only go one way...Im only trying one at a time, would that matter? I dont know why but I seem to remember on a past vehicle of mine I had to try both at the same time to get them to work. Just didtn want to take apart the other side and keep going back and forth trying to get it to work...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Reverse the polarity of the socket that fits into the error cancelor.
If that doesnt work then reverse the polarity of the socket that connects the cancelor to the HID BALLAST.
You can always reverse the polarity or the cancelor and the ballast but you cant reverse the polarity of the Xenon Bulb ?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Try it without the anti error cables.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

sounds like polarity is reversed. Try that before putting on the error cancellors. I do recommend to get actual CANBUS units instead of using cancellors.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Members

ok so now Im a little worried I have bigger problems...before starting to put the HIDs in the fogs everything worked fine. Well I have the bulb out error for the front right fog light (the one Ive been working with) even with the stock bulb in there, and the light isnt working. So Im thinking ok I have a bad bulb well I go test that bulb in my truck and it lights up just fine!?! SO is there like a fuse for the foglights that could be messed up or do I have BIGGER problems?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Maybe a fuse. I know what that feels like I blew a fuse in my Lexus installing LEDs and now none of the lights work. It was just a 7.5A fuse. But usually if the fuse is blown error lights should not come on neither should the other fog. Try the other fog and if that does not work then you might have damaged the harness/assembly.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Maybe a fuse. I know what that feels like I blew a fuse in my Lexus installing LEDs and now none of the lights work. It was just a 7.5A fuse. But usually if the fuse is blown error lights should not come on neither should the other fog. Try the other fog and if that does not work then you might have damaged the harness/assembly.
The other fog light is working fine, and I checked the fuse panel chart in the trunk and nowhere did it have the foglights listed, much less R and L fog lights. I swear if by trying to install theses damne HIDs I messed up the harness or light module or something Im going to be pissed! No way changing out lights should be this difficult!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
The other fog light is working fine, and I checked the fuse panel chart in the trunk and nowhere did it have the foglights listed, much less R and L fog lights. I swear if by trying to install theses damne HIDs I messed up the harness or light module or something Im going to be pissed! No way changing out lights should be this difficult!
Try the working foglight in the non working foglight's housing.

Quick Reply: HID Fogs won't work!