E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID AE install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATLNinerfan, that looks great!
Are you having any issues with people flashing their lights at you at night? How would you say they look at night with your headlights on when looking at them? Do they overpower the headlights and turn them into blobs of light when you look at it, or are the rings still visible?

Sorry for all of the questions...I'm still considering this mod. Any way you can shoot a pic at night with just the AEs on to show how much light they project forward? I heard some people can almost drive with only the HID AEs on, LOL...
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Carbon Black 2008 550i, 20% Black Tint, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, HID (6000k) Fog Lights, RPI GT Exhaust, iPod integration Module, SAT

Nice job on the AEs
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jim165
Are you having any issues with people flashing their lights at you at night? How would you say they look at night with your headlights on when looking at them? Do they overpower the headlights and turn them into blobs of light when you look at it, or are the rings still visible?

Sorry for all of the questions...I'm still considering this mod. Any way you can shoot a pic at night with just the AEs on to show how much light they project forward? I heard some people can almost drive with only the HID AEs on, LOL...
I haven't had to use my headlights yet. At night I just use my AE's with my HID 6000k fogs, It's that bright. I'll try to get a night shot for u tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i 95,000 miles, light silver grey color/ black interior, SMG tranny, Radar cruise control, Logic 7/ 8.8 inch navi, CDC, PDC, HUD, 20" staggered Beyeron wheels, LCI taillights, window shades, Mtech v3 AE, 8000k HID Bulbs, Full interior LED kit courtesy of (John@motorcepts)

Hi, I too just got this kit installed by John and I must say these lights look better in person more than any pic. The best part is when your stuck in traffic on a bright sunny day and you see the the AE reflection on the car in front of you! And Yes I also drive around with just my AE at night without my Foglights, you won't regret this mod
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

Nice job, now detail that engine compartment
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NyC545I
Hi, I too just got this kit installed by John and I must say these lights look better in person more than any pic. The best part is when your stuck in traffic on a bright sunny day and you see the the AE reflection on the car in front of you! And Yes I also drive around with just my AE at night without my Foglights, you won't regret this mod
Wow, that's crazy bright if you guys can drive around with just the AEs! Can't wait to see the pics of the AEs projecting forward at night...
Old 09-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Wow, that's crazy bright if you guys can drive around with just the AEs! Can't wait to see the pics of the AEs projecting forward at night...
I hate to be the party pooper, but you don't actually want to do that. The light is tossed everywhere, and not only is it not projected properly, it interferes with the beam pattern with low beam on.

It's why I've had request from people with HID AE to code off AE when low beams are on.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I hate to be the party pooper, but you don't actually want to do that. The light is tossed everywhere, and not only is it not projected properly, it interferes with the beam pattern with low beam on.

It's why I've had request from people with HID AE to code off AE when low beams are on.
Thanks Nomis,
The scattered light at night was one of the concerns I had, but I had no idea that it would interfere with the low beams' light pattern. I have no intentions of driving with just my AEs on, of course...just curious how much glare there was projecting forward...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

That's probably why the OEM AE's dim when the lights are on. I'm not driving through any pitch black back roads, so my set up works just fine for me.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by atlninerfan
That's probably why the OEM AE's dim when the lights are on. I'm not driving through any pitch black back roads, so my set up works just fine for me.
Quite reasonable. It's probably negligible, but I suppose it's better for them to think of everything.

Quick Reply: HID AE install