E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID AE install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience with my HID AE project. As I mentioned in another thread, I tried to piece together my own kit. I thought if others can do it so can I... WRONG! I did have forum members try to help me, and I thank them, but it was still a no go on my kit. After spending a lot of time/money on 3 different set of ballasts, 3 set of bulbs, 2 different types of resistors, capacitors, 2 not so correctly wired relays I ended up contacting the expert, John from Motorcepts. I shared with him my set up and how I have everything wired and he made some suggestions that could get it to work, but since it wasn't the same set up he uses he couldn't guarantee it. After spending another weekend trying to get them to work correctly I gave up. I figured I would just cut my losses and purchase John's kit. The kit has been used and tested by many members here and I had no doubt it would work on my car also. I noticed on his thread people were questioning the reason for two relays, it's really not that bad to wire up, and it will prolong the life of the kit, so I'm ok with it.

The kit arrived nicely packaged, and everything connected so you can visualize how it's to be wired. That helped tremendously, it's completely idiot proof. I laid everything out first before installing the kit. When you receive your kit you'll notice that one side has a longer power wire for the relay, that is the passenger side to be able to reach the positive terminal. John has really thought of everything to make sure you don't have to do any cutting and splicing. The install went fairly quick since this was the forth time I have installed everything. The AE's are super bright, and they work as advertised.

Driver side ballast. I didn't notice how dirty my engine bay was until I took these pics.

Passenger side ballast w/relay

Driver side AE

Passenger side AE

AEs w/headlights and 6000k fogs

I will be updating this thread with direct sunlight pics later, the sun started to set when I finished the install.

Learn from my mistake. If you want HID AEs on your ride, save yourself the time and money and buy the kit from John.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi Stock for the moment!!

Looks GREAT!!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 550i alpine white

few questions,

1. will it work on pre LCI model with bi xenon?

2. is it brighter than ORION's v2 or perhaps v4?

thanks in advance

BTW the AE looks AWESOME
Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dashit550
few questions,

1. will it work on pre LCI model with bi xenon?

2. is it brighter than ORION's v2 or perhaps v4?

thanks in advance

BTW the AE looks AWESOME
I think they're for LCI only, but you should ask john@motorcepts these questions. He can answer them better than me. From what I've heard with the orions you have to take apart your headlights to install them. Not something I want to do.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 550i alpine white

Originally Posted by atlninerfan
I think they're for LCI only, but you should ask john@motorcepts these questions. He can answer them better than me. From what I've heard with the orions you have to take apart your headlights to install them. Not something I want to do.
How much is the kit anyways? its a simple hid system so it should be cheaper than orion's right?

is it up to par or at least brighter than the orion's?

i'm in SOCAL... so i guess if my only option is to go orion's than i'd go to SIMON personally and get it installed..

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Members

How much is the kit anyways? its a simple hid system so it should be cheaper than orion's right?

i'm in SOCAL... so i guess if my only option is to go orion's than i'd go to SIMON personally and get it installed..

Thanks.
John lists the prices here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/967...h-xenons-only/

And it's not just a simple HID kit. In order to make it work with our cars it needs relays, and error cancelling devices installed. They have to be wired a certain way too, like I said... just hit up John and he will get everything you need.

That's what's great about options. If you don't mind cutting open your headlight, or know someone who will do it cheap then it's your choice. With HID if I want to change my bulb color I have that option, with orion's you don't.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Members

Here are the daylight pics.

Front w/6000k fogs

Driver side (daylight)

Passenger side (daylight)

Front w/o fogs
Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

badass
Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Thanks.
They are pretty different in terms of brightness. Message me if you want to hear detailed differences.

Also, HID AE's only fit LCI xenons.

Quick Reply: HID AE install