E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

help with suspension and 19s please

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm hoping to get some input as to whether to get the sport package or not for a 535i. What attracts me the most is the black window trim, I want metallic black sapphire exterior with tint, kind of the blacked out look with 19s.

Is it best to get the sport package with the 19s? Or buy some coilovers and just skip the sport package? I really like the idea of coilovers to soften up the ride and drop the car a little. It doesn't make sense for me to spend all that money on the sport package just for the blacked out window trim and pay for 18" wheels that will be coming straight off.

Is it possible to skip the sport package, get some coilovers, and order blacked out window trim? Is the black trim mandatory for sport package?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just a bit confused as to what is the best option.

Thanks.

Mods I meant to post this in the mod forum please move it there. Sorry.

Edit - Well I was able to read in a post the shadowline trim is available as an accessory approx $250, and with coilovers I save a bunch of money. Although I will probably regret not getting the contoured seats, I think I can live without.

Is the roll stabilization (...19s) and the seats worth the option?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by aika' post='604850' date='Jun 18 2008, 01:21 AM
Hi, I'm hoping to get some input as to whether to get the sport package or not for a 535i. What attracts me the most is the black window trim, I want metallic black sapphire exterior with tint, kind of the blacked out look with 19s.

Is it best to get the sport package with the 19s? Or buy some coilovers and just skip the sport package? I really like the idea of coilovers to soften up the ride and drop the car a little. It doesn't make sense for me to spend all that money on the sport package just for the blacked out window trim and pay for 18" wheels that will be coming straight off.

Is it possible to skip the sport package, get some coilovers, and order blacked out window trim? Is the black trim mandatory for sport package?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just a bit confused as to what is the best option.

Thanks.

Edit - Well I was able to read in a post the shadowline trim is available as an accessory approx $250, and with coilovers I save a bunch of money. Although I will probably regret not getting the contoured seats, I think I can live without.

Actually both of your theories are correct, you could just go non-sport and add some coilovers, wheels and black out the trim or you could go sport and save the bucks on the coil overs to get the sport package. Personally If I had to choose between the two options I would go sport all the way. Aside from just the springs/shocks being different the entire geometery of the suspension set up is different, its designed to be more agressive.

I mean if you planning to buy used, the how much price difference are you going to save non-sport vs sport a couple thousand???? You'll spend almost that much on a good set of coil overs and still have to replace your trim. The wheels are a wash becuase youre planning to buy a new set anyway, so in the end you'll have 18's to use for snows or sell in the end.

I think youre gonna get opinions either way, but for me I would go SPORT!!!

GL and post some pics when you pull the trigger!

I am not sure about the seats so someone else will have to chime in, but I heard really good things about the active seats with side lumbar support, thats one option (and Logic 7) that I wished I had.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

First off, great choice with the 535i . If the only reason you are wanting the sprt pkg is for the shadowline trim you could always just not get the sprt pkg and buy/install the shadow line trim after the fact. Many members on here have done that. I went with the sport pkg for the ARS also, but I think it's one of those things that if you've never had you wouldn't know it, but once you have it, it's gotta be included in the next car. Doing the math when it comes to parts and labor when going aftermarket suspension it's almost the same as going with oem sprt pkg

The sprt seats are great IMHO. side lumbar option is great. Some members have a hard time finding a comfortable position and some back pain, I am not in that group. I am sure other members will chime in here....

Member ITNurse has 535i, non-sprt with OEM 19" 166 wheels. Think he is in the process of mod'n his suspension. Shoot him a PM as well....

The 19"s you are planning on ordering, they are oem, which ones?

to the forum, good luck with your purchasing decisions...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='604977' date='Jun 18 2008, 07:28 AM
First off, great choice with the 535i . If the only reason you are wanting the sprt pkg is for the shadowline trim you could always just not get the sprt pkg and buy/install the shadow line trim after the fact. Many members on here have done that. I went with the sport pkg for the ARS also, but I think it's one of those things that if you've never had you wouldn't know it, but once you have it, it's gotta be included in the next car. Doing the math when it comes to parts and labor when going aftermarket suspension it's almost the same as going with oem sprt pkg

The sprt seats are great IMHO. side lumbar option is great. Some members have a hard time finding a comfortable position and some back pain, I am not in that group. I am sure other members will chime in here....

Member ITNurse has 535i, non-sprt with OEM 19" 166 wheels. Think he is in the process of mod'n his suspension. Shoot him a PM as well....

Gene's right on! I've got non-sport but wish I had bought the sport in the first place and I swapped the chrome for Shadowline trim, like was mentioned. You'll end up spending more trying to do what your talking about. My ride is a bit too soft and ill upgrade my suspension because of that and... the ride height is not where I want it also. If you want to lower you car beyond sport, then coilovers are the way to go.

The guys above know what they're talking about. PM me with any questions.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aika' post='604850' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:21 AM

Thanks.

The anti roll stabilization is a cool feature, but you cant bolt in a set of after market sway bars. Like genatals said you either pay the 1500 or so dollars and get bmw's sport kit or you get coilovers, eibach pro kit with koni fsd struts and or H&R sport springs with koni yellow sport struts etc...Choose where you wanna put your money. If you're getting bmw M wheels that are 19's then bmw will charge you 1500 with trade in I believe for the rims that were on the car. Close to 3K you get 19's, you're shawdowline and the sports suspension of choice ,not too bad. Still have ecu reflash, cold air intake and a exhaust but thats another thread LOL

p.s that 3,000, you're financing 1500 of it which is like a 15.00/m add on
Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='604933

Thanks. I'm going to buy some Morr VS8. I don't have back pain, wallet pain.

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='605000' date='Jun 18 2008, 10:06 AM
Gene's right on! I've got non-sport but wish I had bought the sport in the first place and I swapped the chrome for Shadowline trim, like was mentioned. You'll end up spending more trying to do what your talking about. My ride is a bit too soft and ill upgrade my suspension because of that and... the ride height is not where I want it also. If you want to lower you car beyond sport, then coilovers are the way to go.

The guys above know what they're talking about. PM me with any questions.
I saw your car today with the new wheels, looks really good. The sport package drops by about 0.5", while the coilovers drop by about 1.2". I think the best thing for me to do after reading all these replies is to get the sport package. After seeing your car, the sport may give me the look I want. So I'll just take it from there.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Members

SPORT!

ARS is amazing, at least if you're like me and like to accelerate on off-ramps.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Members

My wife told me last night she wants a 535i too! I told her Oh shit. Luckily she likes the Mercedes c300 and I had a hard time picking between the two, so I think that is the one she wants. And I guess it's cool that way now I get both hehe. Or does she?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

She does, Im sorry.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='606023' date='Jun 19 2008, 01:56 PM
She does, Im sorry.

My wife was liking the new c classs as well, for about 3 seconds and then she saw the back end...

Quick Reply: help with suspension and 19s please