E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP Please: Where can I find pictures/cost/specs of OEM BMW wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing the beautiful replacement wheels recently posted here (by znod, e60vta), I've looked at various web sites but could not find one where all the BMW OEM wheels are listed and/or pictured. If there is such a site, would you please post?

I've read a little bit about offset, staggered wheels setup, etc., but I'm fairly new to this and would really appreciate some pointers.

When you go to tirerack, etc. web sites, how do you know a replacement wheel is of safe/good quality? By brand, by where they are made (Germany vs. Italy vs. Mexico)? I assume for quality, it's safest to stick to OEM wheels offered by BMW?

What are the critical numbers to look for to assure that the new wheels will fit? Assume that I am to stay with 18 inch for a 550 with Sport package?

Is the tire pressure monitoring system an issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by cannga' post='221241' date='Jan 8 2006, 08:26 PM
After seeing the beautiful replacement wheels recently posted here (by znod, e60vta), I've looked at various web sites but could not find one where all the BMW OEM wheels are listed and/or pictured. If there is such a site, would you please post?

I've read a little bit about offset, staggered wheels setup, etc., but I'm fairly new to this and would really appreciate some pointers.

When you go to tirerack, etc. web sites, how do you know a replacement wheel is of safe/good quality? By brand, by where they are made (Germany vs. Italy vs. Mexico)? I assume for quality, it's safest to stick to OEM wheels offered by BMW?

What are the critical numbers to look for to assure that the new wheels will fit? Assume that I am to stay with 18 inch for a 550 with Sport package?

Thanks in advance.
Here is a web address that shows the wheels for a specific BMW Series car. All BMW Wheels
It gives wheels specs, offset, tire sizes and BMW part numbers. Prices should be obtained from a BMW dealer parts department. Not all are available in the US, but must be ordered in from Germany.

You can also go to BMW TIS and invest $25 for 24 hours of access to similar information for specific E60 models. Some pricing is available, but should really be checked with BMW dealer parts department. During your 24 hour time slot you can also print out scads of technical information on your specific E60 series car.

Neither site tells where wheels are produced. I found out that the wheels I purchased were made by Borbet in Germany by reading it on the inside of the wheels after I purchased them.

Critical in my mind is a wheel that BMW says will fit your car. By definition this means correct offset, correct clearance for brakes, etc. Some will put on any wheel that they can cram into a wheel well. This can have a serious negative effect on handling, tire wear, and probably other issues. Call me conservative.

Tire pressure monitoring is not a problem. The Flat Tire Monitor is just that. It does NOT monitor tire air pressure. It monitors any changes in wheel speed due to loss of air pressure (pressure drop changes rolling radius of tire, thus speed change of wheel). No alarm is made until pressure drops by about 30%. (Yikes!!) Hence, Flat Tire Monitor and not Tire Pressure Monitor. It was designed for use with Run-Flat Tires to let you know when they have lost pressure, as visually it is difficult to tell. This will also be true of Low Aspect tires like I have now on my 19" wheels.

I hope this helps you out.

[/quote]
Side note - my previous ride was a 2005 Porsche Carrera S (997S) Coupe. Seal Grey with Sand Beige full leather interior. I added PSE and Sport Shifter. An amazing car, but I just never really felt comfortable in it. It was my fifth Porsche 911 and my sixth Porsche.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Members

E60VTA,

Thank you for the very helpful reply. The site you gave is great. http://crass.on.ru/bmw/wheels/e60_wh.htm

I like to stay with 18 wheel as this car is for my wife. It's too bad the two styles I like most, yours and 172, are only available in 19 inch size.

Does this list include *all* available BMW wheels? That is, is there any other style available besides what is not listed here?

I also like the M Parallel replica from the wheel exchange but have no idea how reliable that wheel is.

Re. Porsche 997, what happened? Was comfort an issue or the car just doesn't fit you physically?
Attached Thumbnails HELP Please: Where can I find pictures/cost/specs of OEM BMW wheels?-bmw_wheel_172.jpg   HELP Please: Where can I find pictures/cost/specs of OEM BMW wheels?-bmw_wheel_125_2.jpg   HELP Please: Where can I find pictures/cost/specs of OEM BMW wheels?-parallel_machined_01.gif  
Old 01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Members

This site is also pretty good, listing & pictures of almost everything.

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cannga' post='221241' date='Jan 8 2006, 11:26 PM

OEM wheels are also included in the "545i Accessories Catalog" that probably is available at your dealer.

I can't help much on these issues.

I would seriously consider 18" BBS wheels from tirerack.com if you cannot find an OEM wheel that satisfies your needs. When you go to tirerack.com, "start by saving your car." Then, go to "wheels." You will be able to see mock-ups of your car with the various appropriately spec-ed wheels.

I think that you have received that info by now. The wheels shown at tirerack.com will fit appropriately, and if you play with the links your will find the key spec.

Not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by cannga' post='221935' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:47 PM
E60VTA,

Thank you for the very helpful reply. The site you gave is great. http://crass.on.ru/bmw/wheels/e60_wh.htm

I like to stay with 18 wheel as this car is for my wife. It's too bad the two styles I like most, yours and 172, are only available in 19 inch size.

Does this list include *all* available BMW wheels? That is, is there any other style available besides what is not listed here?

I also like the M Parallel replica from the wheel exchange but have no idea how reliable that wheel is.

Re. Porsche 997, what happened? Was comfort an issue or the car just doesn't fit you physically?
I think it includes all of the BMW wheels that are made specifically to fit E60 series cars. I considered 172M, but felt it was too busy and would be a pain to clean. In addition they were more expensive and required ordeing in from Germany. As suggested elsewhere in this thread, The Tire Rack is reputable and offers a range of aftermarket wheels that will fit the E60 specs.

As to the 997S, it is hard to explain. Physically the car fit fine. It drove like a dream - best of all the Porsches I have owned. Maybe it is my age and station in life, but I found it increasingly hard to get in and out of - very low to the ground. My wife did also. To have a $90+K car for driving to Vons seemed a bit of a waste, so now I have a mere $60+K car to do the same. I would never begin to reach the physical limits of the car in the real world. In addition I can now easily carry my two grandkids - ages 6 and 3.5. They love the 550i, as do I. While I still will likely never stretch it to its limits, it is a comfortable car with plenty of power and very good handling.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi E60VTA,

You wouldn't have a pic or two on your new 550i?

I would love to see your car with the Styling 125 wheels!
Old 01-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='223742' date='Jan 13 2006, 08:06 AM
Hi E60VTA,

You wouldn't have a pic or two on your new 550i?

I would love to see your car with the Styling 125 wheels!
Go to this earlier posted thread. Style 125 wheels on my 550i
Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cannga' post='221241
Nope...
Old 01-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='222125
E60VTA,

I think it includes all of the BMW wheels that are made specifically to fit E60 series cars. I considered 172M, but felt it was too busy and would be a pain to clean.

As to the 997S, it is hard to explain. Physically the car fit fine. It drove like a dream - best of all the Porsches I have owned. Maybe it is my age and station in life, but I found it increasingly hard to get in and out of - very low to the ground. My wife did also.
[/quote]

Agreed re. 172. The more I look, the more I like the simple beauty of the 5 spoke design such as yours.

Because I wanted to stay with 18, I emailed thewheelexchange re. a wheel that is similar to yours but is in size 18. It is made in China. Yikkeessss !!! (Although, considering how a few OEM 124's have split in half recently, how could this be worse.)

Would you please comment on the ride of the 19? Has it become too hard? I realize it's a different comparison, as your new tires now are not run flats?

Sorry 997 doesn't work out anymore. In your case I agree the 550 is much more practical.

Quick Reply: HELP Please: Where can I find pictures/cost/specs of OEM BMW wheels?