E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP PLEASE! Breaking car to install these &*&^%$ ang

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1090958' date='Jan 14 2010, 06:49 PM
All you vendors out there selling these bulbs with such little support material should be ashamed of yourselves IMHO. If I was in your line of work I would have photos and tips for every possible step, if for no other reason than it would probably help me to sell more of them!
The problem is that there are a number of different headlight assemblies and they might not have access to them to document how to install them.

I have designed some, on the fly, color changeable halo/angle eye/parking lights that I will probably never sell since I simply do not want to document all the different headlight assemblies they they would fit in nor do I want to help anyone change their OEM bulbs. At least some of the guys that sell different bulbs have offered some help.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='1090968' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:01 PM
And for me, those were people that always had a different head light assembly than me. They all had the basic ones. Not the newer bi-xenon... etc. I feel your pain.

I guess you have a different headlight assembly than mine too. I don't have any amber bulb in mine where the 'halo' angle eye (parking light) is located. Mine looks like this:

And it's behind here:

That's EXACTLY what I have! I just can't move it.

I'm going to attempt what mbp727 advised above (Thank You!!), although I'm not clear on how to remove that back black panel. It does look like I'd have a much easier time getting to the bulb that way though. Maybe after I pull out the cords it will be more obvious laying on the ground.

I'm glad I'm not alone! It does make me feel better, and sitting here for a few minutes I have calmed down a bit. Again, though, if I truly knew it was going to be this difficult I never would have attempted this.

All you guys who don't help and just point people to use search can KMA. I have helped people here when I can -- which I admit is not that often because I'm totally lame when it comes to mechanical stuff -- and I have never done that.

Btw, even I, the clueless one, DID change out my air filter tonight to the K&N filter, and I also removed the carbon filter from the housing above it. Can't wait to see if I notice a difference... although I can't drive anywhere right now because I don't have any headlights, lol....
Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

The black part should easily screw off

P.S. If I lived closer to Orlando I would come out and help you! I completely understand how annoying it can be when you just can't seem to be able to get things done on these cars. Even something as simple as changing a bulb in your headlight needs a 20 page manual...
Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mbp727' post='1090981
I'm glad I'm not alone! It does make me feel better, and sitting here for a few minutes I have calmed down a bit. Again, though, if I truly knew it was going to be this difficult I never would have attempted this.
The real reason that I had to take my entire headlight assembly out was because I managed to get the parking light out ... but I could not for the life of me get it back in.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Thanks guys -- really appreciate the encouragement and tips.

I did go back and review this thread again and I'm going to go out and buy some needle nose pliers tomorrow:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36860
Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1090983' date='Jan 14 2010, 07:24 PM
I did go back and review this thread again and I'm going to go out and buy some needle nose pliers tomorrow:
If I could make a suggestion... That will mar up the plastic with out some sort of protection. You should be able to get the black plastic cover off to access the parking light with out the need of pliers. I just worry that more will go wrong with this approach.

Use a thick rag to protect the plastic if you must the pliers. In fact, while you are at the hardware store pick up the 3M blue painters tape. That will do wonders in protecting the area around what you are working on (i.e. you can put it all over the bumper to protect it from scratches from the headlight, or put it on plastic parts to protect them when you are waxing...)
Old 01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

I must sympathize with your thread. I too had the WORST time installing my angel eyes. I went through pretty much everything you stated here, with the exception of scratching my bumper. My hands looked like I had a fight with an angry cat..

The key is patience. I had to walk away several times. Particularly with the drivers side headlight. That thing just did NOT want to go back in. I almost bashed the headling in with my foot. $$$$ was the only thing that stopped that.

You really need small hands...I don't have em...Please report back on how you did with the pliers. Keep posting here. If you need help, people will not point you to the search feature...well, at least I won't

Worst part of all this is I have to pull my headlights out AGAIN to install my 6000k HID low beams....I've had the lights for two weeks but I know what is in front of me. It seems like magic that I got them back in the first time.

Others do make it seem very easy, don't they?

Lastly....you should try to call John/Brabus....he posts his number on his sig and is avail to help you over the phone. Very well respected memeber on the forums. Good luck man, you can do it...you'll be very experienced when it's all over!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Smile

Honestly, my true opinion of these MTEC Angel Eye bulbs is that unless you are a trained mechanic, who also happens to be a midget or at least have the hands of one, OR unless you are willing to pay for professional install somewhere, DO NOT BUY THEM!

I went out and bought needle nose pliers today and was ecstatic when with a simple left twist of them the OEM bulb became loose and was then a total breeze to remove. Great -- making progress! However, holding up the OEM bulb to the MTEC I knew I was in for major trouble. It's much, much larger.

I have now been trying to maneuver it back into the housing with no success. I have tried every possible angle I can and no matter what I do it will not fit into the circle. The cord is very short and I don't like that I'm having to pull on it to do the install. I also tried removing the back access panel to all the other bulbs, hoping that it would grant me more finger room from another angle, and proceeded to EASILY break one of the assembly's molded plastic holders it was clamped to. I'm hoping that 3 out of 4 fixtures will be enough to protect it from the elements. If not, I'm now out of my entire passenger side front light assembly!

Again, all these vendors on here selling these should not be allowed to say that installation is a breeze and only requires a few minutes. I'm extremely disappointed with the misleading information and I should have never made this purchase.

I hope someone who's thinking about doing this mod will find this thread in a search and stay away from making this purchase. I know if I had I wouldn't have made this terrible mistake.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Contributors

yep this is why i stick with oem lights in the front

the easiest bulbs to change are the trunk lights and thats about it
Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1091471' date='Jan 15 2010, 04:03 PM
Honestly, my true opinion of these MTEC Angel Eye bulbs is that unless you are a trained mechanic, who also happens to be a midget or at least have the hands of one, OR unless you are willing to pay for professional install somewhere, DO NOT BUY THEM!

I went out and bought needle nose pliers today and was ecstatic when with a simple left twist of them the OEM bulb became loose and was then a total breeze to remove. Great -- making progress! However, holding up the OEM bulb to the MTEC I knew I was in for major trouble. It's much, much larger.

I have now been trying to maneuver it back into the housing with no success. I have tried every possible angle I can and no matter what I do it will not fit into the circle. The cord is very short and I don't like that I'm having to pull on it to do the install. I also tried removing the back access panel to all the other bulbs, hoping that it would grant me more finger room from another angle, and proceeded to EASILY break one of the assembly's molded plastic holders it was clamped to. I'm hoping that 3 out of 4 fixtures will be enough to protect it from the elements. If not, I'm now out of my entire passenger side front light assembly!

Again, all these vendors on here selling these should not be allowed to say that installation is a breeze and only requires a few minutes. I'm extremely disappointed with the misleading information and I should have never made this purchase.

I hope someone who's thinking about doing this mod will find this thread in a search and stay away from making this purchase. I know if I had I wouldn't have made this terrible mistake.

um... not really... the best way to do this is.. take the whole headlight out and disconnect them and install.. no need for pliers to take those bulbs out... mtech is not as big as AIB... and when i installed AIB i didnt even take the headlight out...

when i changed from AIB to Mtech, it took me 5 minute each side after taking whole headlight out... literally, it took me less than 35 minutes to take headlight in and out and install those mtech bulbs and install new low hid bulbs... and Johns DIY is very good so you are actually misleading to forum members... no professional install needed.. if you have tools.. thats all you need.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE! Breaking car to install these &*&^%$ ang