E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP PLEASE! Breaking car to install these &*&^%$ ang

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Help please?

I am attempting to remove my headlight so I can put in the new angel eye bulb and it's, OF COURSE, nothing like the YouTube video or John's DIY pictures here:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...mp;gopid=969316

I have removed the top two screws, and the 8mm bolt below -- which I must complain was never mentioned that that's what it is, an 8mm bolt so all previous attempts to remove it with the same screwdriver I used for the other two and the front bumper for the last 30 min. were fruitless -- and 'everyone' says it should just pop right out, NP. Well, it's, again, of course, NOT popping out. John even says it's easier with the M-tech front bumper, which I have, so I'm a complete failure.

This is why I never attempt to do anything mechanical to this car!! You guys assume everyone can do this stuff and for us non-car, non-mechanical types, it's impossible. Right now I'm hoping I haven't ruined my bumper and headlight assembly!

It's all loose on the top. It's loose down there where that 8mm bolt is because I have slid it from under where it was held. However, the whole bottom edge where the bottom of the assembly meets up with my bumper is solid, not budging anywhere.

Sorry about all the exclamation points. Please understand that I did everything I could to prepare for this, including looking at multiple DIY's, and now I'm hearing cracking, creaking noises as I "simply slide out the headlight assembly." If I knew it was going to be this horrible I would never have bought these damn lamps. Nothing's worth this.

Do these have THREE screws holding them in place, or is there a FOURTH screw somewhere? Of course, no one mentions that fact as far as I can find. And does it matter that I have the cold weather package with the headlight wetter thing?

Again, sorry about being so crabby, but I'm so pissed off right now and I just want my car back to the way it was. I'm scared to even look at it closely because I know something's probably broken or scratched.

Help, please, despite my anger? I'd really, really appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

there are 2 bolts on the bottom. i assume you only loosened 1 of the "8mm" bolts.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Contributors

Just came back -- yes there were TWO 8mm bolts holding down the assembly. I now have the light assembly out but can not extend it anywhere as far as John did in his DIY. I can barely turn it because the cord is not long enough.

Now, again, another major missing part to the DIY: How do you access the bulbs? John's photos show him with the dark black panel already removed and him taking out the bulbs. How is something this important not covered??

If you're going to sell something as simple DIY you should have every detail covered and not assume that it's obvious.

I'm going to try this one more time but I'm probably just going to put back together what I can and send the bulbs back for a refund. I already see scratches at the top of my bumper, and this on what used to be a completely flawless car!!!

Anyone with tips on how to remove this large black panel so I can access the bulbs?

Thank you, above, for trying to help out. I do appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Contributors

Ok, now realized that the DIY John has is for changing out the main headlight apparently NOT the angel eyes. There is no such DIY. I see the same user posting "You should use the search feature in DIY's and look this up," but he never provides the link and obviously has never done it himself.

Seriously, try the search feature right now and type in "install angel eye bulb". You will get plenty of threads posted by happy guys who have changed out their bulbs, showing off pics, etc. but nowhere is there a DIY for the change. There are several threads from people like me asking for help, but they're just directed to search for the information themselves. Real helpful there...

Now I realize I'm supposed to try and take out that dark orange bulb housing. How? I have no idea. The Chinese guy in the YouTube video just reaches in there like it's nothing and doesn't even struggle. I, on the other hand, have now cut open my hand attempting to turn the bulb that WILL NOT BUDGE in any direction.

Those who are on the fence about changing these bulbs out yourself? Unless you are an auto mechanic or are willing to pay someone to do the install for you (which I would have GLADLY done in hindsight), I advise you to stay far away from buying these. Ask for help and all you'll get is "use the search box." :thumbsdown:
Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by jay bimma' post='1090938' date='Jan 14 2010, 06:12 PM
there are 2 bolts on the bottom. i assume you only loosened 1 of the "8mm" bolts.
+1

When I took mine out, the only part I found difficult was slipping the tabs under the two lower bolts.

Just take a deep breath and chill out. You will eventually get it back in.

For comfort here is what mine looked like:

Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Despite my extreme anger over all this I was still hoping to be able to change out the bulbs, especially since I'd already ruined the top of my bumper to do so. However, I cannot turn or twist the dark orange bulb in any direction. It's 100% impossible. I'm giving up, looking for some band-aids, and calling it a night. I think it's best I walk away from the car for a while.

If anyone has any tips on removing the OEM dark orange angel eye bulbs I may give it one more try tomorrow. After all this crap it would be nice to having something to show for it.

All you vendors out there selling these bulbs with such little support material should be ashamed of yourselves IMHO. If I was in your line of work I would have photos and tips for every possible step, if for no other reason than it would probably help me to sell more of them!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1090951' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:41 PM
Ok, now realized that the DIY John has is for changing out the main headlight apparently NOT the angel eyes. There is no such DIY. I see the same user posting "You should use the search feature in DIY's and look this up," but he never provides the link and obviously has never done it himself.

Seriously, try the search feature right now and type in "install angel eye bulb". You will get plenty of threads posted by happy guys who have changed out their bulbs, showing off pics, etc. but nowhere is there a DIY for the change. There are several threads from people like me asking for help, but they're just directed to search for the information themselves. Real helpful there...

Now I realize I'm supposed to try and take out that dark orange bulb housing. How? I have no idea. The Chinese guy in the YouTube video just reaches in there like it's nothing and doesn't even struggle. I, on the other hand, have now cut open my hand attempting to turn the bulb that WILL NOT BUDGE in any direction.

Those who are on the fence about changing these bulbs out yourself? Unless you are an auto mechanic or are willing to pay someone to do the install for you (which I would have GLADLY done in hindsight), I advise you to stay far away from buying these. Ask for help and all you'll get is "use the search box." :thumbsdown:

i believe the angel eyes is a plug and play item but might require some pliers or small hands if you are installing orions thats a different story

regards,
Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the words of encouragement, or 550, but I'm not even at that point yet. I saw that it was probably going to be difficult to slide those two bottom tabs back in though... Not looking forward to it.

I have turned off the garage lights and have given up for the night. I can't get the orange bulb out no matter what I do. It's like it's super-glued in there and is not budging.

Damn it, I was really looking forward to this mod.

THANKS for the pics, btw! Yes, that's as far as I can remove mine too -- nothing like what I have seen elsewhere.

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1090951' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:41 PM

Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

First off, I fully understand your anger as I changed my AE's 2 weeks ago and found it extremely hard to make the switch.
If you haven't already, I recommend taking off the black cover (on the back of the light) before trying to take the light out. It will not come fully out of the housing if you don't do so.

Second, if you have not removed the wiring for the light, the longer black plug will slide up then out and the bottom plug just un-clips (pull hard)

Once you have the housing removed from the vehicle, the orange bulb with twist about half an inch then out. Apply pressure inward (towards the light) and twist. If that's not enough, then use pliers.

You will again find it difficult (and seemingly impossible) to get the large orange bulb out of the small space inside the light housing, but once you turn the bulb 90 degrees with in the housing, it should be fairly simple to wiggle out. The new AE goes right in. Apply pressure and twist the bulb into place, plug it in and replace the light.

The bottom mount for the headlight (closest to the fender) is going to be very challenging to get right. The clip from the headlight will continuously want to go over the washer. I recommend you have someone help you out with a tool to hold up the washer as you apply downward pressure with the headlight and slide it in.

Hope this has helped GL
Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1090951
Now I realize I'm supposed to try and take out that dark orange bulb housing. How?
I guess you have a different headlight assembly than mine too. I don't have any amber bulb in mine where the 'halo' angle eye (parking light) is located. Mine looks like this:

And it's behind here:

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE! Breaking car to install these &*&^%$ ang