E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help: Just installed cradle phone not charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

I just installed the eject box last night following the directions provided on this site (Thanks!)

Antenna strength is greatly improved in that I did the trunk connection too?problem is as I was driving to the office this morning?I noticed the phone was not charging. And subsequently it died on me after putting up a low battery warning.

I connected the power connector along with the antenna in the rear of the center console and I checked to make sure it was secure; it is

So is there anything else that needs to be done in order to get this thing to charge maybe a setting on the phone, I have a v600? I?m running 16.1?how do I trouble shoot?

Maybe a setting on the phone?
Maybe a setting in the car?
Maybe a bad cradle?

TIA

Chris
Old 04-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Apr 27 2005, 10:37 AM
I just installed the eject box last night following the directions provided on this site (Thanks!)

Antenna strength is greatly improved in that I did the trunk connection too?problem is as I was driving to the office this morning?I noticed the phone was not charging. And subsequently it died on me after putting up a low battery warning.

I connected the power connector along with the antenna in the rear of the center console and I checked to make sure it was secure; it is

So is there anything else that needs to be done in order to get this thing to charge maybe a setting on the phone, I have a v600? I?m running 16.1?how do I trouble shoot?

Maybe a bad cradle?

TIA

Chris
[snapback]120820[/snapback]
Here is a document supplied by Rudy in response to similar issues by others. Mine was the opposite problem, charge but no antenna, fixed finally by finding my UNCONNECTED antenna cable behind left rear seat back (6er not a 5xx). I believe ledbettm and perhaps one other had similar problems to urs. Do a search on cradle and ledbettm to find more info.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Interesting read. Are the specs on the US GSM antenna the same as the EU one? Our freqs are different... I'd assume ours would do at least 1900, but hopefully 850 as well. Can anyone confirm? 1900 only would be okay for TMobile, but not so good for Cingular.

Also, I too have the v600 - what's the best (cheapest) way to get the snap-in adapter?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

OK read the PDF (thanks for the link)...it looked to me that the only thing I have needed to do was re-pair the phone with the car...just did that and still nothing...anyone with any other suggestions or similiar situations
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Apr 27 2005, 10:37 AM

Maybe a bad cradle?

TIA

Chris
I recall reading on this site a service bulletin that some '04s (pre 9/04 builds?) won't charge with a cradle due to different wiring and there is no fix. I gave up on a cradle for my early '04 car after reading the bulletin.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dstompkins' date='Apr 27 2005, 10:45 AM
[quote name='ch7656' date='Apr 27 2005, 10:37 AM']I just installed the eject box last night following the directions provided on this site (Thanks!)

Maybe a bad cradle?

TIA

Chris
I recall reading on this site a service bulletin that some '04s (pre 9/04 builds?) won't charge with a cradle due to different wiring and there is no fix. I gave up on a cradle for my early '04 car after reading the bulletin.
[snapback]120848[/snapback]
[/quote]

Uh oh...well not to late to return if need be...can anyone confirm this
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

I believe that the dealer needs to "tell" the car that it needs to charge the phone. So they get you for a service visit anyway.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Apr 27 2005, 11:27 AM
Interesting read.? Are the specs on the US GSM antenna the same as the EU one?? Our freqs are different...? I'd assume ours would do at least 1900, but hopefully 850 as well.? Can anyone confirm?? 1900 only would be okay for TMobile, but not so good for Cingular.

Also, I too have the v600 - what's the best (cheapest) way to get the snap-in adapter?
[snapback]120839[/snapback]
They are multi band so yes they are supposed to be the same to cover all, I believe, four bands. I am on Cingular and was just OK without cradle but much improved signal after cradle up and working.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VTbound' date='Apr 27 2005, 12:10 PM
I believe that the dealer needs to "tell" the car that it needs to charge the phone. So they get you for a service visit anyway.
[snapback]120855[/snapback]
I got that same impression on perhaps older installs (pre '05?). I don't think they had to do that on my '05 but I could be wrong.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Apr 27 2005, 01:18 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Apr 27 2005, 11:27 AM']Interesting read.? Are the specs on the US GSM antenna the same as the EU one?? Our freqs are different...? I'd assume ours would do at least 1900, but hopefully 850 as well.? Can anyone confirm?? 1900 only would be okay for TMobile, but not so good for Cingular.

[snapback]120839[/snapback]
They are multi band so yes they are supposed to be the same to cover all, I believe, four bands. I am on Cingular and was just OK without cradle but much improved signal after cradle up and working.
[snapback]120858[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, this is still a question since the .pdf claims the antenna is multi-band 900-1800 GSM, neither of which works in the US. The US antenna must have different specs, but it might not cover the 850 band which hasn't been in use for very long here.

I've had good luck so far with my Cingular V600 just sitting in my pocket, but the power drain is a big concern.

Quick Reply: Help: Just installed cradle phone not charging