E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP | Wiring OEM M5 LCI Mirrors on Pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Not sure if you seen it ... Can you try reverse this DIY doc somehow? I know you'll run into the same problem 3 and 1 bolt thingy ...

https://5series.net/forums/topic/548...-by-step-guide
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Isn't it possible to open the mirrors and trace each wire to find the individual functions? There are only so many options in a mirror: folding, power glass, memory, heat, dimming and puddle lights. By dissecting both sets of mirrors and seeing where each wire goes, it seems to me that eventually you will only have a few orphan wires that are functions previously not available to you. At some point it will be clear which are which. Then it is just a matter of finding a clean way of connecting the wires. The only way I could ever imagine this being complicated beyond comprehension is if you had mirrors controlled via the CAN-bus, in which case the proprietary functions of each wire would not be so straight forward.

But I don't listen to me, I've never done this.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I have a Brand New auto-fold module that will allow any mirror to Auto-Fold without any coding required. Anyone interested?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

But that won't solve my motor mount & wiring issues right? Also, 80% of the reason I took the plunge for OEM was to code folding via key fob, not manually pushing a button inside the car...do you have any thoughts on achieving that on such an early E60?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

anyone have any thoughts?

here's one....if i were to buy this module you have Bruce, can the button/trigger be hard wired into the lock/unlock mechanism or puddle lights to activate the auto-fold with the locking and unlocking of the door?

i find it surprising that no one in our community has undertaken auto-fold on a 2004 E60....we've gotta have a solution out here right?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

I think you worry to much 'bout havin' the auto fold to work ... I would suggest to worry about the basic function first like std mirror movement adjustment (simple left+right & up+down) ... now take a step back the mirror only has 3 wires I'm pretty sure we can rule out that uses some sort of signaling now take the 8 wires from your car then how do you sort out which of the 3 out the 8 you can connect?

Let say 4 out of the 8 wires from your car control 4 basic movements ... but the mirror only got 3 that control more than 4 basic movement

Sorry, not tryin' to ruin your project just simply state the facts.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

im not sure what youre saying here....are you saying that its impossible?

if i were happy w/ only the mirror motor movement, i could simply repurpose my old pre-05 mirror motor and ECU and secure it to the new OEM housing....but hell, i already have a set of NVD replicas that look amazing....90% of the reason i shelled out the copious amount of money for OEM mirrors was to gain the auto-fold feature. make sense?

the auto-fold via key-fob feature is the exact reason i bought this new set....otherwise i can still retain my aesthetic look via my NVD reps...

hopefully there's a solution out here or this has been an exercise in futility.

thanks to everyone who's responded thus far though!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Just to make sure you understand that the issue is wrong model year.
It has been discussed for more than 5 years about mixing parts from different model year, check some of these threads:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/347...0905-built-car
https://5series.net/forums/topic/316...ost__p__338125

As you already know if the donor car where your M5 mirror came from is also pre-9/'05 then you'll be golden.

Well, in any rate ... GL on your journey!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

DAMN.

ok, well sounds like i have two options....transplant all my items from my old mirrors into these new LCI mirrors and attempt to find a way to get the auto-fold feature working or sell them lol. ouch.

thoughts for getting the auto-fold motor to activate (fold up and a separate command to fold down)? it appears that there are only two wires going to the motor assembly....to me this means that the command must come from the actual ECU and these two wires are simply power and ground...has anyone deciphered that yet?

if there is a way to command the motors to fold up/down w/o the ECU i could create a remote work-around and wire in a new command module and pair it with a separate key-fob (oh yea, im dead set on making this happen lol)...

thoughts?

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Just to make sure you understand that the issue is wrong model year.
It has been discussed for more than 5 years about mixing parts from different model year, check some of these threads:

http://forums.5serie...-0905-built-car
http://forums.5serie...post__p__338125

As you already know if the donor car where your M5 mirror came from is also pre-9/'05 then you'll be golden.

Well, in any rate ... GL on your journey!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by umichchris
DAMN.

ok, well sounds like i have two options....transplant all my items from my old mirrors into these new LCI mirrors and attempt to find a way to get the auto-fold feature working or sell them lol. ouch.

thoughts for getting the auto-fold motor to activate (fold up and a separate command to fold down)? it appears that there are only two wires going to the motor assembly....to me this means that the command must come from the actual ECU and these two wires are simply power and ground...has anyone deciphered that yet?

if there is a way to command the motors to fold up/down w/o the ECU i could create a remote work-around and wire in a new command module and pair it with a separate key-fob (oh yea, im dead set on making this happen lol)...

thoughts?
I did tell you to swap everything from your old mirrors to the new. The new ECU will just not work on the car because the ECU of the LCI mirrors expect the commands to come from the KGM module which you won't have.

The motor has got two wires. voltage in one direction moves it clockwise, opposite turns it anti-clockwise. But you have to supply voltage precisely for about 2.x seconds otherwise you risk over turning the motors.

You can very easily use the motors with the SAM 1.0 module that I was selling. It gives you everything you need. Plus if you use the CAN module you get the lock and unlock triggers as well.

I have done enough research on these mirrors. But even then I didn't know there were any motors that were held with 3 screws. I did convert my full optioned LCI M5 mirrors to pre Sep 05 mirrors for a member on this forum. See https://5series.net/forums/topic/934...1#entry1105329

P.S. : Don't bother comparing the wires between the LCI mirrors and the pre-Sep 05 mirrors. It works completely different. On the pre-Sep 05 mirrors the mirror is completely "dumb" and every function terminates in a wire that plugs into the door module. On the post Sep 05 and the LCI the mirror houses an ECU that controls everything. The 3 wires are +12V, GND and +Lin Bus. The KGM sends a message on the Lin BUS that the mirrors pick up and dechiper.

Quick Reply: HELP | Wiring OEM M5 LCI Mirrors on Pre-LCI