E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, L7. Mods: Sprint Booster V1, 8000k GP Thunder Headlight, 8000k HID fogs, LED Interior, LED License Plate, Rear Red Reflectors Wish List: Mtech Kit, Style 172 Rims, KSport Coilovers, Shadowline Trim.

Ok, I know people have asked about this, but i started doing a little research as to what parts are in my car already.

First of all, if you look at realoem.com it says Version with seat heating (also suitable for vehicles without seat heating) at the beginning before listing the parts of the seats. This makes me think that the heating element is in all seats since they are all the same part number? Obviously could be wrong of course.

Then i checked the seat module under my seats since there are many different ones and I got the part number off it, 61356927273. at realoem.com it says that the module is

For vehicles with
basic seat (standard seat)
and
Seat heating driver/passenger YES
and
Active seat for driver and passenger YES
and
El. front seat adjustment w. memory YES
and
Lumbar support, driver and passenger YES

01 Seat module 1 03/2005 61356927273

So the module that I have does everything, so wouldn't need to change that. So now I wonder if I just need the heated seat buttons on the console, and the wire between the module and button, if its not already there, and programming from dealer and it would work?

Now I'm probably wrong on the seats, but just going off of what realoem says. Just seems weird that the module in my car does heat, active, lumbar, and memory and i only have lumbar and memory.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your seats have no heater element in them-you are misinterpreting realoem.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, L7. Mods: Sprint Booster V1, 8000k GP Thunder Headlight, 8000k HID fogs, LED Interior, LED License Plate, Rear Red Reflectors Wish List: Mtech Kit, Style 172 Rims, KSport Coilovers, Shadowline Trim.

There are no seat parts on realoem that say they are for the heated seats. i went through everything and there is only one part for each part of seat.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtitus
There are no seat parts on realoem that say they are for the heated seats. i went through everything and there is only one part for each part of seat.
Dude I have taken out my cushion and swapped it out with the passenger-there is nothing there-if you want to think there is then get the switch adn wiring and then you will find there is nothing to connect it to-again read it more carefully-you are reading realoem wrong. it tells you there is a specific piece for heated seats.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

This has got me thinking as well. Would it be even possible to retrofit heated seats into a car without the cold weather package? Like install the heating element and wiring? It would be too costly to change out the entire seat imo, unless you got a used one from a totaled car.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at this for some time. Originally I had the basic velour seats but with heating function as standard. In a rush, I bought LCI M SPort seats and fitted them and got rid of the basic seats.

Only problem now is that I got the heated seats button on my dash and the connection in the box under the seat (used original wiring box), but no elements in the actual sports seats.

Now, being in the UK, the heated seats are very handy, so I went about researching how I can replace just the elements. I got the idea from another member on here who done a heated seats element insertion DIY into his M Sport Leather seats. The only problem there was that it was after market and had to install a different button into the side of the seat. Totally not OEM.

Anyway, long story short, if I can undo the leather as per members DIY and slip in the original elements, I can get my heated seat function back.

So after some research I found out that the BMW does not sell the heating element for the E60 seats. But they do for the E90 seats.

Heating element, sports seat leather - 64116973943 $107.88
Heating element, sports backrest - 64117140539 $83.47
Heater element, thigh support - 64117138803 $20.88

Now I know the seats are marginally smaller than E60 seats, but I'd rather the elements be smaller and be able to slip in and fit, than be bigger than the seats.

Now, I'm guessing the connectors will be the same. Even if they aren't, The buttons on the dash for both E90 & E60 are exactly the same with the 3 stage heat. So the wiring should be exactly the same even if the connectors aren't.

Is my theory correct? Is it straight Plug and play? We are talking about carbon elements so size doesn't matter?

Your advise would be apreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

You are all right and wrong.

If your car left the factory without seat heating you have nothing in the seats, you maybe have a seat module that is capable of controlling seat heating because you have other add-on combinations like lumbar support, memory, active or ventilated seats or you don't have a seat module at all. Unfortunately the factory optimises this process with the seat building factory saving them maybe 10-15 Euros per seat and making you easy retrofit almost impossible.

In realoem you only have part numbers with heating elements because in case they get damaged you can order only with heating, regardless whether your car has seat heating or not. This is because the heating element is sawn into the cover for faster and more even heating, easier stock issues and seat covers are rarely replaced since they cost a fortune.
That is why there is no retrofit package as this would include:
- new switch panel in centre console (button unit)
- new seat modules for each seat
- new seat covers (2 per seat)
- Bus cable loom to seats
- labor (5-6 hours)

Using E90 heating elements with E60 seat modules might also be a problem since E90's do not use temperature sensors on all heating elements (4 wire concept) so I am not sure how that will work. Has someone made it work?