E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Heated seat element retrofit on M Sport seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at this for some time. Originally I had the basic velour seats but with heating function as standard. In a rush, I bought LCI M Sport seats and fitted them and got rid of the basic seats.

Only problem now is that I got the heated seats button on my dash and the connection in the module box under the seat (used original wiring box), but no elements in the actual sports seats.

Now, being in the UK, the heated seats are very handy, so I went about researching how I can replace just the elements. I got the idea from another member on here who done a heated seats element insertion DIY into his M Sport Leather seats. The only problem there was that it was after market and had to install a different button into the side of the seat. Totally not OEM.

Anyway, long story short, if I can undo the leather as per members DIY and slip in the original elements, I can get my heated seat function back.

So after some research I found out that the BMW do not sell the heating element for the E60 seats. But they do for the E90 seats.

Heating element, sports seat leather - 64116973943 $107.88
Heating element, sports backrest - 64117140539 $83.47
Heater element, thigh support - 64117138803 $20.88

Now I know the seats are marginally smaller than E60 seats, but I'd rather the elements be smaller and be able to slip in and fit, than be bigger and not fit.

Now, I'm guessing the connectors will be the same. Even if they aren't, The buttons on the dash for both E90 & E60 are exactly the same with the 3 stage heat. So the wiring should be exactly the same even if the connectors aren't.

Is my theory correct? Is it straight Plug and play? We are talking about carbon elements so size doesn't matter?

Your advise would be apreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abbizle
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at this for some time. Originally I had the basic velour seats but with heating function as standard. In a rush, I bought LCI M Sport seats and fitted them and got rid of the basic seats.

Only problem now is that I got the heated seats button on my dash and the connection in the module box under the seat (used original wiring box), but no elements in the actual sports seats.

Now, being in the UK, the heated seats are very handy, so I went about researching how I can replace just the elements. I got the idea from another member on here who done a heated seats element insertion DIY into his M Sport Leather seats. The only problem there was that it was after market and had to install a different button into the side of the seat. Totally not OEM.

Anyway, long story short, if I can undo the leather as per members DIY and slip in the original elements, I can get my heated seat function back.

So after some research I found out that the BMW do not sell the heating element for the E60 seats. But they do for the E90 seats.

Heating element, sports seat leather - 64116973943 $107.88
Heating element, sports backrest - 64117140539 $83.47
Heater element, thigh support - 64117138803 $20.88

Now I know the seats are marginally smaller than E60 seats, but I'd rather the elements be smaller and be able to slip in and fit, than be bigger and not fit.

Now, I'm guessing the connectors will be the same. Even if they aren't, The buttons on the dash for both E90 & E60 are exactly the same with the 3 stage heat. So the wiring should be exactly the same even if the connectors aren't.

Is my theory correct? Is it straight Plug and play? We are talking about carbon elements so size doesn't matter?

Your advise would be apreciated. Thanks.
Hi Abbizle,
I am following this idea for quite some time and have also thought of this as I have only basic seats w/o heating. However, looking briefly into the wiring diagrams I noticed that the E90 heating elements do not have a temperature sensor in each element (4 wires) but only in one (not sure seat or backrest), so the E60 seat module will not be able to work correctly with this heating elements. That the buttons look similar (3-stage heating) is because of BMW corporate design, not because all electronics is the same.
To make it work the whole chain has to work together (button control unit - bus - seat module - heated element and temp. sensor).

If someone can confirm to have successfully installed E90 heated elements with E60 seat modules please post here.
Regards,
Straba