E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Headlights: What direction should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

So I've been a member here for a while now. I don't really post since pretty much every question I've ever had has been asked/answered on here already... but now I'd like an opinion instead of looking up facts.

What I have are pre-LCI halogen headlights. I purchased one LCI halogen projector light (so far, still looking for another) since it seems this conversion is the least painful as far as errors and coding goes.

The plan is to then just put in xenon H7 bulbs and ballasts to get the xenon light output.

So what I'd like is an opinion on what direction to take, seems like I have a few options at this point....

1) Keep the LCI halogen headlight I bought and see what I can do with it as far as angel eyes and xenons as kind of a project until it gets nice out. Keep in mind that I want decent looking angel eyes and it seems that the plug in H10w bulbs solutions don't really deliver anything special (espcially in the daytime). Installing the Orion v2 looks like the only option here.

2) Get rid of the light I got and just go for the LCI Bixenon retrofit. More expensive. Possible coding and wiring issues?

3) Forget the headlights all together and go to a different project (speakers, nav retrofit, whatever) for now.

I've done hours (and hours) of research on this and now just want to see what some of you guys think.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Nocrapplease

You can buy 501 bulbs on eBay that fire x2 led beams around the older style light, and are actually brighter than a single led new style, so either keep your current and upgrade the bulbs or buy the bi xenons and fit and have coded, in the uk if you fit these you would require the headlamp wash retrofitted, if you don't already have it
Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Members

Hmmm... thats an idea but I kind of wanted to get the projector lights versus the reflector lights I have now. I'm still keeping an eye out for LCI bixenons but theyre a little expensive.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

It really comes down to how much you want to spend. Obviously going to LCI xenons will cost you the most. The simplest upgrade would be pre-LCI to LCI halogen. With that said, there are members are here that just put a HID kit in there since it's projector anyway, and it works great for them.

But of course, regarding angel eyes, it really depends on the look you like. HID angel eyes or Orions. If you like HID AE's, then obviously your only option is to go LCI xenon.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have LCI halogen lights and I have put 8k HIDs inside them and they look great. The LCI halogen angle eyes look nice and bright compared to the Pre LCI angles. You can get angle eyes for the LCI halogens from John...contact him at John@motercepts.com. Should run you pretty cheap.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
It really comes down to how much you want to spend. Obviously going to LCI xenons will cost you the most. The simplest upgrade would be pre-LCI to LCI halogen. With that said, there are members are here that just put a HID kit in there since it's projector anyway, and it works great for them.

But of course, regarding angel eyes, it really depends on the look you like. HID angel eyes or Orions. If you like HID AE's, then obviously your only option is to go LCI xenon.
I think what I might do then is use the one LCI halogen I got to see how installing the Orions in there goes and take it from there.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Members

Also while I'm thinking of it, what would be a way to test a headlight while not connected to the car?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

How do you mean by testing the headlight? Obviously you can use a power supply, but really the safest/easiest would just to plug it into the harness of the vehicle.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
I have LCI halogen lights and I have put 8k HIDs inside them and they look great. The LCI halogen angle eyes look nice and bright compared to the Pre LCI angles. You can get angle eyes for the LCI halogens from John...contact him at John@motercepts.com. Should run you pretty cheap.
What brand of lights do you have and did u have any issues with error codes?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
What brand of lights do you have and did u have any issues with error codes?
sio
Thanks
I have 8k HID's that I got from hidextra.com. Get the H7 conversion kit. No error codes due to the error cancelers.

Quick Reply: Headlights: What direction should I go?