E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HDD works with USB option :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i non sport monaco blue dk poplar gray leather multi contour seats NAV cold weather fold down seats comfort access Logic 7 sat ipod

Originally Posted by Bart sMartWeed' post='451826' date='Jul 25 2007, 01:15 PM
Then I saw a portable 2.5" USB powered 160GB hard drive (hard disk) from Plextor and tried it. Guess what ... it worked and still works after 3 weeks now. You know how many songs fit on a 160GB hard drive??? Check out the drive here => Link to Plextor site
Does it fit in the center console under the 'phone' holder where the usb port is?

C
Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i SMG
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ats77' post='451664' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:43 AM
if you have no Lci get the GateWay 500
ATS77,

I requested the same thing on Dension thread.

It is a great device selection to purchase DENSION'S model Gateway 500 for those of us PRE LCI. With this device I understand we can have USB, iPod adapter, AUX connector, and few more things.

IS your already working. I just ordered mine and I can use your idea. Is it DIY. Do yu have any pictures, please.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='451896' date='Jul 26 2007, 04:37 AM
?
http://www.dension4u.de/shop/index.php?cPath=151
Old 07-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='452011' date='Jul 26 2007, 04:38 AM

Interesting!
But how it has to be installed ?
Most of all, where ?
What is the location of the little box in which you insert the USB stick, once installed ?
Any pics of the job completed ?

Thank you, bye!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='452110' date='Jul 26 2007, 10:16 AM
Interesting!
Most of all, where ?
What is the location of the little box in which you insert the USB stick, once installed ?

Thank you, bye!
pics you need to wait sorry, you install it in the glove comparement and altough the device is "sexy" you install it behind the separator plastic in the glove comp. (behind you have all wires etc, only the connecting cables for Ipod, aux, etc, yes then you have a 2nd aux if you already had one from BMW).

Send me or post here all questions and will ask Dension to reply, they will also come to our show on 11-12 Aug 2007. thx
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by ats77' post='452132' date='Jul 26 2007, 01:49 PM
pics you need to wait sorry, you install it in the glove comparement and altough the device is "sexy" you install it behind the separator plastic in the glove comp. (behind you have all wires etc, only the connecting cables for Ipod, aux, etc, yes then you have a 2nd aux if you already had one from BMW).

Send me or post here all questions and will ask Dension to reply, they will also come to our show on 11-12 Aug 2007. thx

http://www.juanignacioacosta.com/uploaded_...bio2-705014.jpg

Can you edit the JPG and attach it in the reply ?

I didn't understand .. Anyway, ok, I can wait
Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by curlytoons' post='451900' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:42 PM
Does it fit in the center console under the 'phone' holder where the usb port is?

C
Yes, it does. It will be possitioned in an angle |/| but there is space enough and the drive doesn't get warm so ... ho heat problem.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributors

What is the hard-drive like for performance? I have a 16Gb branded USB stick, apparently one of the fastest you can get. But it's still a bit painful.

Using the i-drive to scroll through the folders is slow, I guess it's reading them "live" as it doesn't copy the data at all. When you use the steering wheel buttons to skip back or forward a few tracks, it's awful to the point of being unusable - as everything just stops, the display doesn't move, then it catches up with itself.

If the hard-drive is faster then I can see this as a worth while upgrade. If it's just as slow, then I'll stick with the USB stick. 16Gb is plenty - the stick takes up hardly any space - and it's a quick job to take the stick in the house and change the folders on the rare occasion there is anything new to add or old to delete.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having hundreds of folders with my entire music collection, because a lot of what I own isn't "car music". Plus the fact that if you are in a folder and hit back, the list starts back at the beginning again. So if you have 500 folders, and wanted to come out of your ZZ top folder and put on Xylophone Classics of the 90's, it would take you 15 minutes to scroll I guess you could split the folders in to alphabetical sub folders and have high level "A", "B", "C" etc ... but I prefer just to keep the USB stick up to date with my current car-music choices. It's like swapping out your 6 discs from the CD changer every now and then - you get bored and want a change.

What do others think ... stick with the 16Gb Stick, or switch to the HD?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You bring up some valid points from the standpoint of the system starting back at the beginning of the list when you go back to the directory, etc. I'm thinking the more we talk about that, the more likely it is that BMW will fix that issue in some future software release. Even with a 4GB stick, it's a pain when that happens.

As far as the speed issue -- what year is your car? Do you have navigation? On the 2008 (LCI) nav cars, they took away the haptic feedback in the controller. Doing that has significantly improved the response time of the scrolling, etc. I actually find myself scrolling too far because I'm used to spinning the knob like a top (from the old car) and I end up going too far in the list. One thing that's important to note is that the car does keep an index of the songs so it's not reading them "live" as you suggest. In my trials, the 60GB HDD does not seem to perform any slower than a 4GB USB stick. If it is slower, the difference is very slight. The steering wheel controls do sometimes delay but again, it seems the same between the HDD and flash memory.

Bringing the unit in the house to change the content is not any different than the USB stick process. Sure, the HDD is a little bigger and a little heavier but it's no more difficult or tricky.

I'm happy with the HDD concept because I can now re-rip my collection with a higher bitrate for better sound quality. If there are songs I don't want on the disc (not "car music") then just don't copy them over or delete them.

Once I get things finished, I don't see much of a need to remove the unit because I'm not one to constantly update my music collection. I pretty much stick to what I have now, etc.

Finally, in case anyone missed it in another thread, the following is some information from BMW about the USB/iPod interface:
USB_audio_interface.pdf
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='452110' date='Jul 26 2007, 04:16 PM
Interesting!
Most of all, where ?

Thank you, bye!
For the E60 HiFi, itis not a DIY for me too much work, I let the pros do it in the HiFi shops

Quick Reply: HDD works with USB option :)