E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

has anyone ever done custom M5 fender?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i Sport package, Premium package, Xenon 2002 BMW X5 3.0 Modded to X5 4.6is (4.6is body kits, exhaust) Premium pkg., cold weather pkg. rear climate pkg., Xenon headlights, clear all around.

Has anyone ever cut your stock fender to fit M5 air vent? or do i have to go with M5 fender? well the width of M5 fenders are a little wider but not a lot that once could notice. suggestions please.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i believe it would be better to go with M5 fenders opposed to cutting the stock fenders. plus you could go with the M5 front bumper with the fenders.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple issue regarding changing or keeping fender and put M5 grille on.
If you want to go with M5 fenders, paint would be unlikely baked like OEM, and not as hard. Clear coat MIGHT be dulled or turn yellowish over the time, and you'll see significant paint mismatch b/w front door and fender. Not flow well together. So, keep that in mind.

If you want to keep current fender and make a hole, it's very difficult to do precise cutting and you might risk destroying your front fender if not cut properly.
Another thing is the grill might not fit well due to shallow distance b/w fender surface and stuffs behind it. Some modification might be needed.

I don't have a solution, and I just wanted to share my view.

This thread should be moved to Parts & Mods.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Sport package, Premium package, Xenon 2002 BMW X5 3.0 Modded to X5 4.6is (4.6is body kits, exhaust) Premium pkg., cold weather pkg. rear climate pkg., Xenon headlights, clear all around.

Originally Posted by my530i' post='462207' date='Aug 24 2007, 04:42 PM
There are a couple issue regarding changing or keeping fender and put M5 grille on.
If you want to go with M5 fenders, paint would be unlikely baked like OEM, and not as hard. Clear coat MIGHT be dulled or turn yellowish over the time, and you'll see significant paint mismatch b/w front door and fender. Not flow well together. So, keep that in mind.

If you want to keep current fender and make a hole, it's very difficult to do precise cutting and you might risk destroying your front fender if not cut properly.
Another thing is the grill might not fit well due to shallow distance b/w fender surface and stuffs behind it. Some modification might be needed.

I don't have a solution, and I just wanted to share my view.

This thread should be moved to Parts & Mods.
So i see, well you have installed the front M5 bumper on your stock fenders. did you experience the gap like other say or you were successful in squeezing it in there. I am doing only the front end right now. please suggest.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Question

ive had that done and considering getting M5 fenders now as the M5 bumber leaves a slight gap at the end of the fender, bumber meet at the front arch. I,l send some picture over on monday, not at work at the moment, but hey i think you should go for M5 fenders, a bit expensive to sart but better in the long run for sure

anyone know were i can get some cheaper M5 fenders, and also would like to know sell my fenders,any suggestions?

would appreciate it also
Old 08-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

I already saw M5 side grills in non-M5 front fenders on a E61. If the job had been done by a professional paint shop (like the one i saw) you won't notice any difference to OEM. It will seem that it came from factory like that. And if you add the M5 front bumper it will look a complete M5 conversion.

For the ones that already made the M5 fenders conversion, did you also change the wheel housing cover of the front fenders?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='462636' date='Aug 26 2007, 07:10 AM
I already saw M5 side grills in non-M5 front fenders on a E61. If the job had been done by a professional paint shop (like the one i saw) you won't notice any difference to OEM. It will seem that it came from factory like that. And if you add the M5 front bumper it will look a complete M5 conversion.

For the ones that already made the M5 fenders conversion, did you also change the wheel housing cover of the front fenders?
I like the idea of cutting the stock fender and fit the air grill, fist because M5 fenders are not that much wider than the stock ones, second the cost of getting new fenders, paint and fitted are crazy and you have to replace a couple of things besides the fenders themselves. but i dont know for sure if i ever want to cut it. thats why that will be the last thing i would do on my M5 conversion. Anyway, i just want my e60 to look as aggressive as the M5 not to pretend like M5.