E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Has anyone done the CDV delete on their 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I have had several manual transmissions, but I find the 6MT in my 545 the most difficult to shift smoothly. My Audi was much easier to shift. I have read about this delay valve and how you can delete it to make the shifts smoother. I did a search in the archives for "CDV" and "clutch delay" but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Here is a picture of a $30 part from Bavarian Auto that says it will help.

Is this a simple DIY? Is there any downside to doing this mod? will it increase wear on the transmission or clutch? thanks all
Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Yes, many from this forum have done this, including me and it makes shifting easier. Do a search since this has been discussed many times. I got my part from zeckhausen.com, not sure if the bavauto one is the same product.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:53 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='565908' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:53 PM
I have had several manual transmissions, but I find the 6MT in my 545 the most difficult to shift smoothly. My Audi was much easier to shift. I have read about this delay valve and how you can delete it to make the shifts smoother. I did a search in the archives for "CDV" and "clutch delay" but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Here is a picture of a $30 part from Bavarian Auto that says it will help.

Is this a simple DIY? Is there any downside to doing this mod? will it increase wear on the transmission or clutch? thanks all
I would recommend replacing the CDV. I would recommend installing a SSK at the same time due to the labor synergies. plus, an aftermarket SSK is much better than stock shifter. I too bought my CDV from Zeckhausen. As far as DIY, if you are mechanically inclined and have access to a lift, it is prety straightforward The hardest part is bleeding the line unless you have the proper equipment. I think doing the job on jackstands would be a royal PITA.

There are many threads on the subject, I know, because I have participated in several.

good luck

al
Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Hello..

I'm fairly new here and have been reading for my mods plan

CDV removal seems to be the first one I want to do because I HATE the way my 545i shifts.

I have one question, instead of modifying the CDV, why not just remove the whole CDV and bend the line slightly and bolt directly to the slave cylinder?

I have done this mod on my prev. Impreza STi and it was very straight forward (just bend the line slightly to mate)

Advice is appreciated.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by salaki' post='597235' date='Jun 6 2008, 02:21 PM
Hello..

CDV removal seems to be the first one I want to do because I HATE the way my 545i shifts.

I have one question, instead of modifying the CDV, why not just remove the whole CDV and bend the line slightly and bolt directly to the slave cylinder?

I have done this mod on my prev. Impreza STi and it was very straight forward (just bend the line slightly to mate)

Advice is appreciated.

+1
Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

"An alternative to replacing the CDV is to eliminate it entirely. However, there are two reasons why you might not want to do this. On some models, the steel hard line needs to be bent to a new angle if the CDV is deleted. The bend is slight and there is little risk of damaging the line. The problem is, if the line is not bent just so, it's difficult to get the threads to line up without cross threading them. This is made tougher by the fact that the fitting is slippery with brake fluid.

Another reason for not simply yanking the CDV is that some folks are concerned about future warranty issues. It's not uncommon for an overzealous service writer to try to blame any modification for whatever failure has occurred. Rather than try to argue with the service department about whether or not the deletion of the CDV was responsible for the air conditioning failure, many folks simply install a modified CDV. That way, the stock appearance is maintained and the issue of user modifications never comes up."

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

Zeckhausen do not use drilling to bore out their CDV replacement (no metal residue). Not sure how Bav Auto bore out their CDV replacement.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Members

I am very interested in doing this mod. Does anyone have any pictures of a DIY? I've searched but haven't found any pictures. Also, I checked the Zeckhausen site and no pics of the e60 install are posted.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by salaki' post='597235' date='Jun 6 2008, 01:21 PM
Hello..

Advice is appreciated.
Thats what i did
+2
Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i, 6spd manual, Premium pkg, Cold Weather pkg

I think I want to do this mod as well. Is it a hard DIY?