E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ground clearance with Sport kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

Would be interested to hear from those of you with the sport package if you have any problems with ground clearance. The front spoiler is quite low and with the lowered suspension as well this could potentially lead to problems.

Was thinking particularly about going up and down ramps in multi-storey car parks etc.

Be pleased to hear your comments.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by andy535d' date='May 5 2005, 03:06 AM
Would be interested to hear from those of you with the sport package if you have any problems with ground clearance. The front spoiler is quite low and with the lowered suspension as well this could potentially lead to problems.

Was thinking particularly about going up and down ramps in multi-storey car parks etc.

[snapback]124283[/snapback]
After only 1,200 miles I have big scrape under front bumper. I think it was there before I picked the car up. High curbs are a no no.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy535d' date='May 5 2005, 08:06 AM

[snapback]124283[/snapback]

we have quite a few speed bumps where i live and i have not had any problems with them, but then i always go over them at no more than about 20 mph.

as merv said, *really* high kerbs need to be negotiated with some care but I do not come across many in my travels, only consideration is when parking, if kerb in front looks high just take it easy, don't wait till you hear a crunch
Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Members

My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

Thanks for your replies, will keep a careful look out for high kerbs.

Am picking the car up on Saturday morning (yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) and will have to take it into a multi-storey car park in the afternoon (no its not to take the wife shopping) and didn't want to have a problem scraping the front within the first 100 miles!!
Old 05-05-2005, 04:03 AM
JDN
Contributors

The E60 sport is not nearly the problem that the E39 sport is. To make matters worse with the E39, the outdoor temp thermometer was always taking a beating since it was mounted at the lowest point in the front bumper, at least my 1996 build was. I had to replace it three times.

If you ever do catch a curb, DO NOT TRY TO BACK OFF. If you can get someone to lift the front while you ease off, that will do far less damage - to the vehicle, anyway.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

I've got the sports suspension with the ACS kit. I am normally quite careful when going over humps - no problems there. However, ramps are a different proposition. There are numerous multi storey car parks in SIN and if I forget to control my speed, then I inevitably will get a scratch on the chin. I've had this at least three times in the last 5 months, but it does not really harm the car; just a nasty scratch where you can't see. You can only feel the scratch when you wash the car.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='May 5 2005, 06:03 AM
The E60 sport is not nearly the problem that the E39 sport is. To make matters worse with the E39, the outdoor temp thermometer was always taking a beating since it was mounted at the lowest point in the front bumper, at least my 1996 build was. I had to replace it three times.

If you ever do catch a curb, DO NOT TRY TO BACK OFF. If you can get someone to lift the front while you ease off, that will do far less damage - to the vehicle, anyway.?
[snapback]124323[/snapback]
The E39 sport airdam was a huge problem for me- I had to have it repaired FOUR times in the three years I leased my 540 (about $250 a pop)! High curbs were the big problem, made worse by the fact that you wouldn't know you were on the curb until you pulled back off of it. The E60 sport airdam seems to be about 3-5 cm higher, which makes a big difference; also the view from the driver's seat makes it seem you are much closer to the curb than you really are- I would think I was right next to the curb, and find I was still quite a way's away. The PDC seems to pick up some curbing, but I wouldn't trust it....
Old 05-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Members

Thanks Edlee, thats what I was hoping to hear. Knew I would have to be careful on the ramps but as long as its possible to drive them without any visible damage.