E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

GPS Detector Installation..any pics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

well took the plunge and ordered an Origin B2, it arrives tomorrow. I am thinking of getiing this hard wired into the E60 for ease of use rather than using the cigarette lighter as the power source.

anyone in Europe using the B2 and have piccies of it installed in their E60?

i was thinking of having it mounted just above the air vent on the drivers side nr the door.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 AM
Contributors

Crappy cameraphone but here is mine, located just beside the front console switches, power from glovebox fuse panel and gps antenna on dash just behind taxdisc......didn't bother with laser detector as it was crap anyway.

B2 is FANTASTIC

DD
Attached Thumbnails GPS Detector Installation..any pics?-picture_9_.jpg  
Old 09-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

DD thx for the reply...had not considered that location as a mount point...looks good.

would the B2 fit in the space above the drivers door side vent? not on the sloped trim piece (bit thats normally wood trimmed) but just above that on the bit of dash plastic that slopes up to the lip before you reach the top of the dash (if that makes sense)kind of level with bottom of idrive screen.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributors

Probably would fit, you can take the mounting flange off the cradle and get it closer to the trim but you then have to lose the wiring bundle somewhere.

to be honest, you don't even need to see the unit as the voice warnings are pretty good and can be set really loud if you want.

I hacked a cradle to bits to get the wire down to just power and gps signal(this made it much thinner and I could feed it under the dash and into the glovebox.

A low guitar string makes a great "fish" for feeding wires.

DD
Old 09-22-2004, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

thx for info DD

have to admit i'm not much of a car DIYer so i've just paid the xtra to have a (hopefully) professional co. do the hardwire installation for me.

They said they will leave it upto me to decide where the device should go, though their guy will obviously offer his advice to.

once its done i'll post some pics
Old 09-22-2004, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Sep 22 2004, 07:19 AM
Probably would fit, you can take the mounting flange off the cradle and get it closer to the trim but you then have to lose the wiring bundle somewhere.

to be honest, you don't even need to see the unit as the voice warnings are pretty good and can be set really loud if you want.

I hacked a cradle to bits to get the wire down to just power and gps signal(this made it much thinner and I could feed it under the dash and into the glovebox.

A low guitar string makes a great "fish" for feeding wires.

DD
[snapback]36925[/snapback]
I notice the comment regarding mounting. I remember the in the Ipod thread, the Denison company produces really nice mounting brackets. Even though it is for "their" produce, you could modify it for this application. I don't know if they have a bracket for an E60 yet, but it is worth a try to check it out.