E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

got my acs replica wing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys I tried to search but no luck.
the wing came with double sided tape but
will this be enough?do I need to use something else?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525I/TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC/GREY LEATHER INTERIOR/EURO RED REFLECTORS/20% TINT/EURO STICKER/BMW CCA STICKER

Dont you ever call it a wing again.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Members

Usually doublesided 3M tape is fine. OEM spoilers are installed with doublesided tape so it should be fine. If you want a more permanent fix you could go with Betalink (your dealer sells it).
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I used tape by itself... One thing I messed up on is, when you use the tape (double sided industrial 3m (red)) if it is cold outside, ensure you put some heat to it during the installation. You can do it by yourself but you really want a buddy there with ya. Also, you can weigh it down overnight just for that extra security you know... I took my "wing" as you called it (it is a roof or trunk spoiler) off because I jacked it up. I know a lot of people who used only tape with no issues at all. I am going to call upon my buddy to help me out this time.

The good thing about tape is that you can remove it with absolutely no issues and install a totally different one should you chose to do so...

Good luck

Tonymac
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

thanks guys and yes nomore wing its a lip spoiler.lol
Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

I need help on this too,
I called 3M, today, talked to 4 people and this is what i came up with,
3M does not have anything that will adhere window to plastic, or abs painted surface.
There are metal to plastic double sided tapes for moldings

SO that being said, they gave me parts for these 2 products but they said that they can not guarantee that this will be the most efficient way of installing it.

3M, Double sided tape, part number : 06397
3M, Promoter for double sided tape, part number : 06396

I really want some thing that will not fly off and hit the guy behind me, so if there are some part numbers available , i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by bimmerspeed' post='749089' date='Dec 20 2008, 12:30 AM
I need help on this too,
3M does not have anything that will adhere window to plastic, or abs painted surface.

SO that being said, they gave me parts for these 2 products but they said that they can not guarantee that this will be the most efficient way of installing it.

I really want some thing that will not fly off and hit the guy behind me, so if there are some part numbers available , i would greatly appreciate it.

Some guys recommend silicone.... I used double sided tape... 3M.... No problems here...

Tonymac
Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by Senza007' post='743984' date='Dec 12 2008, 01:28 PM
Dont you ever call it a wing again.
Yeah this would be a wing.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

actually that looks to be some thing similar to a Rudder, and Vertical Sabilizer on a Plane, LOL

that might be a device to provide down force on a FW drive car,

these engineers are getting smarter and smarter as each day goes buy, LOL LOL
Old 12-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bimmerspeed' post='749089' date='Dec 19 2008, 06:30 PM
I need help on this too,
I think the "promoter" prepares the surfaces being joined by cleaning away any waxes or oils that would affect proper adhesion. I've used 3M double-sided automotive tape for years. The stuff really sticks; if your mis-locate the part being mounted you'll find out just how difficult it can be to reposition! Be sure to install your spoiler in a heated garage, clean the trunk surface thoroughly with a good degreaser (alcohol is usually OK). After mounting, weight the part down with sand bags or similar weight for several hours (again while in a warm location).

Quick Reply: got my acs replica wing