E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

General or Kuhmo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are good tires, I would personally go with the Generals as they are a bit cheaper in most sizes and a bit quieter.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

I would not fet the Kuhmo's that is a noisy tire. I have never used Generals so can t comment on them. Have you looked into Nitto or Continentals that would be my choice.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

I've had both, and had a more favorable experience with the General Exclaim UHP. Great tread-wear, traction both wet and dry. IMHO, I think it's more value for your money. The Kuhmos tend to get louder as the tires wear on.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I had the generals on my e46 and love them.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

I have the Kumho Ecsta SPTs. all Im saying next set of tires for me will be Falkens
let me know if you need tires guys
Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='666457' date='Sep 10 2008, 03:14 PM
...The Kumhos tend to get louder as the tires wear on.
+1.
I have the Kumho ECSTA SPTs and will try other brand next time (General Exclaim UHP maybe).
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Members

I just ordered tires/wheels from TireRack. See below:

245/40ZR-18 Kumho Ecsta ASX In Stock $142.00 $284.00
2 275/35ZR-18 Kumho Ecsta ASX In Stock $171.00 $342.00

The reason I went with these Kumhos is that in a staggered setup I can still rotate left/right because of the non-directional tread. Also, they come with a true 30K treadwear guarantee, and I put a lot of miles on my cars. The guy wasn't pushing these, and they were within $10+/- of Goodrich and Goodyeear. I've run Kumhos before on the street and never had a problem.

Barry
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
JPJ
Contributors

I thought this post looked familiar -- then realized it's mine from a year and a half ago!

Well, I went with the Kumho's. I tried to get the General's at the time, but they were on back order, so that made the choice for me. After 2 summer seasons and 2 track days the fronts still look good. The rears look great on the outside, but if you really check the inner edges they are really worn out. I'm going for 2 days at the track this weekend, then the rears have to go for sure. Hoping I make it till the swap to winter set-up -- hell, I'm hoping to make it through the weekend! We'll see what about 4 horus of hard track driving does to them. I'm taking a worn out pair of winter tires/wheels with me to make sure I have a way home (this track is 2-1/2 hours away). It was really hot at a school in June and when I came in from a session the tires were as gummy as true racing tires -- could not believe how soft they were getting when that hot.

Over the past month I have noticed they are getting louder -- not like the Yoko ES100's I had on a 330i, but I can hear more noise than in the past.

I think I'm happier with them than I would have been the General though, if only because of going on the track a little. A guy I know brought out an E46 330i ZHP with the General (only a week old) and it was not pretty. He was very disappointed (of course the times I had seen him there before he had a S4 and then an E46 M3).

Not sure what I will do next. The fronts have another year or more of tread left, so I will probably just change the rears for now. Maybe go with Kuhmo SPT again to stay matched or maybe try something else. I have a line on a pair of PS2's (285/30-19's which would be great) for a good price, so may put them on the back and see how I like it -- can always switch the fronts over as well.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Non-Sport pkg, Premium package, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, 20inch RPM R-505 Wheels, 20-35% Tint Debadged

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='667488' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:05 PM
I thought this post looked familiar -- then realized it's mine from a year and a half ago!

Well, I went with the Kumho's. I tried to get the General's at the time, but they were on back order, so that made the choice for me. After 2 summer seasons and 2 track days the fronts still look good. The rears look great on the outside, but if you really check the inner edges they are really worn out. I'm going for 2 days at the track this weekend, then the rears have to go for sure. Hoping I make it till the swap to winter set-up -- hell, I'm hoping to make it through the weekend! We'll see what about 4 horus of hard track driving does to them. I'm taking a worn out pair of winter tires/wheels with me to make sure I have a way home (this track is 2-1/2 hours away). It was really hot at a school in June and when I came in from a session the tires were as gummy as true racing tires -- could not believe how soft they were getting when that hot.

Over the past month I have noticed they are getting louder -- not like the Yoko ES100's I had on a 330i, but I can hear more noise than in the past.

I think I'm happier with them than I would have been the General though, if only because of going on the track a little. A guy I know brought out an E46 330i ZHP with the General (only a week old) and it was not pretty. He was very disappointed (of course the times I had seen him there before he had a S4 and then an E46 M3).

Not sure what I will do next. The fronts have another year or more of tread left, so I will probably just change the rears for now. Maybe go with Kuhmo SPT again to stay matched or maybe try something else. I have a line on a pair of PS2's (285/30-19's which would be great) for a good price, so may put them on the back and see how I like it -- can always switch the fronts over as well.

Jeff
I had Kumho spt all the way around, but started having vibration problems in the front and a lot of front noise. The backs were still in good shape so I put Nittos on the front and they are quiet as a mouse and grip a lot better in th dry than the Kumhos did. I haven't tried them in the rain yet. Maybe next year when it rains again.......Vegas......
Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

If I have to choose Kumho or General Exclaim UHP, I would go General. Generals are nice tires. Kumho's have a little too much road noise for my taste.

General compared to Falken. Falken FK452 FTMFW!

Quick Reply: General or Kuhmo?