E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

General or Kuhmo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've pretty much narrowed my tire choice down to the General Exclaim UHP's or the Kumho ECSTA SPT's. They both seem to be good for lower priced tires. These would be 19" staggered.

I know several people here have the Generals and are happy with them, so that's a real positive. Plus it is highest rated on the Tirerack survey by owners. However, the Kuhmo did better in Tirerack testing in every catagory -- so I this is a pretty big positive to me. The Generals have a higher treadwear rating, but that also means they are harder and give up some grip to last longer.

One specific question about the Generals -- do they have a rim protector ridge built into the sidewall? I don't see it listed as a feature on the General Tire website and in photos I can't see that it does. The Kuhmo does have this and that could put them over the top.

Your opinions on these and other tires at the lower end of the price scale are appreciated.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've never tried them myself but I've always heard positive comments about Kumho -- despite the price.

Wish I could add something more concrete...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributors

I would go with the Generals. They are great.

I did not see Kuhmo's ranked higher on TireRack. What were you looking at?

I am looking at the following: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...ay.jsp?type=UHP

I do not believe that the Generals have the rim protectors that you are referring to, but I believe that the ride is the most important thing. The Generals grip very well, especially on wet surfaces.

I have never heard a complaint here.

If you go with the Kuhmo's please report back. Good luck with your selection.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

you could also try bridgestone, they were $50/tire more than the generals ( i forgot which ones, but i was told at America's Tire) anyways, the Generals are good tires for its price, but you could try Kumho's instead
Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='406660' date='Mar 25 2007, 08:33 AM
One specific question about the Generals -- do they have a rim protector ridge built into the sidewall? I don't see it listed as a feature on the General Tire website and in photos I can't see that it does. The Kuhmo does have this and that could put them over the top.

Your opinions on these and other tires at the lower end of the price scale are appreciated.

I have UHP and it does have rim protecting edge, it does not help anyway because a 2 tons car running against the curb and, you know, those RUBBER protector can do nothing

In terms of performance, handling, etc, they're perfect for a road maniac like me. I'd get it again.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='406678' date='Mar 25 2007, 11:21 AM
I did not see Kuhmo's ranked higher on TireRack. What were you looking at?

I am looking at the following: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...ay.jsp?type=UHP
The Generals are rated higher in the surveys, but when Tirerack ran a test on an E46 330Ci the Kumhos performed better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...lay.jsp?ttid=4
Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='406728' date='Mar 25 2007, 01:56 PM
The Generals are rated higher in the surveys, but when Tirerack ran a test on an E46 330Ci the Kumhos performed better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...lay.jsp?ttid=4
I took a look at this test ranking. These rating are tests for driving your car on an oval track.

I would favor the "customer" rankings for day to day purposes.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='406836' date='Mar 25 2007, 04:34 PM
I took a look at this test ranking. These rating are tests for driving your car on an oval track.

I would favor the "customer" rankings for day to day purposes.
I would 3rd the UHP, it's been great on me so far.
For those that have 19", how long would your set last? I have these for 12k miles, and I am hoping they can last 'til 20k at least...

And yes those rim protector really can't help much, esp with 19" and I happened to scrape my front wheels even I am very careful...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='406663' date='Mar 26 2007, 12:47 AM
I've never tried them myself but I've always heard positive comments about Kumho -- despite the price.
+1

But where I am (the country that produces the Kumho tire, Korea) many modders use ECSTA SPTs with favorable comments. I've never used nor do I know anyone who has used Generals, so I can't comment on them.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

ill go General more dependable from wat i seen in the shop were i use to work at

Quick Reply: General or Kuhmo?