E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Gas "Shortage" Means Low-Octane Gas Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I've read here recently that some of you feel that octane boosters are merely snake oil. I'll agree to that concerning some brands. But that aside, with the gas "crisis/shortage" in my area, I'm forced to put 87 octane in my baby since that's all that's available for the time being and foreseeable future. I put some 104+ octane booster product (black bottle, almost ten bucks!) in my tank a week ago and it actually seemed to work. I don't believe it was the placebo affect because I've used those additives in previous cars and noticed no difference whatsoever.

Luckily, because of the shortage, I've only been letting my tank get to 1/2 between fillups, so there should be some booster still in the tank with this latest low-grade fillup. I also added some el-cheapo STP octane booster. I'm pretty sure that one is snake oil since it had "Made with jet fuel" proudly emblazened on the label. I didn't even notice it until I was throwing the bottle away. It was very disheartening considering that jet fuel is just A-1 KEROSENE! Then again, now that I think about it, kerosene has a higher flash-point than gasoline, so I guess it really does boost the octane since 93 octane is "less volatile" than 87 octane.

Anyway, I'm rambling but I hope you guys get what I'm saying. So what are your thoughts on octane boosters?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Just be careful. We had this discussion some time ago - well, I actually raised a question regarding NOS octane booster - and had lots of good arguments against using it. But the real clincher for me was the wonderful brown crusts discovered on my spark plugs from the metals (MMT) in said booster. It might simply be safer to continue using 87 without the additives and allow the car to simply account for it through its engine management solutions (timing retardation, etc). At least until you can find a place selling good stuff again. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

First you should adjust the title of your post. IF you are buying low-grade gasoline - it doesn't matter what octane you're putting in the tank - you are still risking damage to the fuel system.

Now that that's said, IMHO running 87 octane for a short period of time will reduce performance slightly but if you're purchasing from a tier1 supply the additive package - even in lower octane gasoline supplies - should provide adequate protection to the fuel system components and the engine. The electronics will dumb-down your engine to compensate for the lower octane.

I still feel that "octane boosting" additives are snake oil.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

There's no need for octane boosters.
The enigine can handle the lower grade.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I know that, but I don't want the loss of power or fuel economy that goes along with using lower than recommended octane.

And why was this moved from the E60 Discussion to Parts, Accessories and Mods?? It doesn't fall into any of those categories, and I'd like for it to be discussed...
Old 09-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

It falls into this category and can be discussed here.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

So much for a discussion here...
Old 09-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

You can't force people to discuss.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Members

I would say drive a little less or don't be so hard on the pedal. The difference you would pay at the pump over the year vs. premium octane gas is not much compared to the potential price you would pay for needing maintenance sooner or detonation causing problems in your engine. Granted the engine management system might "downtune" the engine a little to compensate, your engine would still experience detonation a few times before that would happen.

Also, you have an 08 550i. If you can afford the car, but the $0.10-$0.20 difference in regular vs premium gas is causing you monetary issues, you need to get a cheaper car.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='680911' date='Sep 29 2008, 12:04 PM
I've read here recently that some of you feel that octane boosters are merely snake oil. I'll agree to that concerning some brands. But that aside, with the gas "crisis/shortage" in my area, I'm forced to put 87 octane in my baby since that's all that's available for the time being and foreseeable future. I put some 104+ octane booster product (black bottle, almost ten bucks!) in my tank a week ago and it actually seemed to work. I don't believe it was the placebo affect because I've used those additives in previous cars and noticed no difference whatsoever.

Luckily, because of the shortage, I've only been letting my tank get to 1/2 between fillups, so there should be some booster still in the tank with this latest low-grade fillup. I also added some el-cheapo STP octane booster. I'm pretty sure that one is snake oil since it had "Made with jet fuel" proudly emblazened on the label. I didn't even notice it until I was throwing the bottle away. It was very disheartening considering that jet fuel is just A-1 KEROSENE! Then again, now that I think about it, kerosene has a higher flash-point than gasoline, so I guess it really does boost the octane since 93 octane is "less volatile" than 87 octane.

Anyway, I'm rambling but I hope you guys get what I'm saying. So what are your thoughts on octane boosters?
Yes, having the same issue here in Atlanta. Can't find Premium anywhere. Yes I know my car will run off of regular unleaded but care not to risk damaging anything. The way I see it, if the owners manual says premium then thats what i'll use.

I care not to imagine being told by BMW that the fuel system was damaged by putting regular gas in it and that that's not covered under warranty.

A relative use to put 87 octance fuel in a Mercedes that also only used 93 octane and they had to replace the fuel system after sometime.
I think 87 was used for over a year.

Luckily I have a spare car and can wait it out.

I just called a local BMW dealership about the gas issue, They said everyone is in the same boat and regular gas is ok to do a couple times but not more than that.
Says they have been bombarded with calls about this.

What I heard:"Using regular is ok for a tank or two but any damage caused from doing it more than a few times isnt covered under warranty"

Quick Reply: Gas "Shortage" Means Low-Octane Gas Only