E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Garmin Nuvi navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

My e60 doesn't have navigation and neither does my summer car - Honda s2000 (factory nav isn't an option in the s2000). I'm looking to pick up a Garmin Nuvi 350/360 but I'm looking to see if anyone has a non-discrete mounting location that works well. The unit has a built in battery that claims up to 8 hours of usage so I won't have cords draped all over the dash and I can easily move it from one vehicle to the next. Does anyone have any good ideas where to put it, or better yet....does anyone have any pics of the Nuvi mounted in their car?

thanks,
Cris
Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 manual M5 Black/Black/Tinted, HUD, Heated Rear Seats, Logic 7, iPod interface

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='389836' date='Feb 10 2007, 06:56 PM
My e60 doesn't have navigation and neither does my summer car - Honda s2000 (factory nav isn't an option in the s2000). I'm looking to pick up a Garmin Nuvi 350/360 but I'm looking to see if anyone has a non-discrete mounting location that works well. The unit has a built in battery that claims up to 8 hours of usage so I won't have cords draped all over the dash and I can easily move it from one vehicle to the next. Does anyone have any good ideas where to put it, or better yet....does anyone have any pics of the Nuvi mounted in their car?
thanks,
Cris
If you can, get a nuvi 600. It is worth the extra $$ IMHO (total mobility). I use it with my MDX. It looks nice right in the middle of the windshield about 10 inches above the dashboard. Garmin has a very stable suction cup. Neither 350/360 nor 600 will give you 8 hrs., more or less 2-3. Eventually, you'll find the way to deal with the cord, especially if you'll use the real traffic info.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Members

I have a garmin quest which has a 20 hr battery life. Can move it from car to bike as its water resistant.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I have a Garmin 360 - I'll try and get you some pics of it in-situ later on.

As the theft of these units is on the increase in the UK, I won't mount mine on the windscreen.
I use the cubby hole under the CD slot (which I presume you have, as you don't have NAV). I mount the screen mount in there, so the 360 is nestled just forward of the gear lever. I stripped the dash and hard wired the Traffic antenna and power cable in, so there are no cables dangling. This means that I can demount the 360 when I park, which leaves nothing showing on the inside of the car, and no tell-tale marks on the screen to prompt Joe Thief to smash a window to look for a SatNav.

Having the 360 in this position means you have to look down to see the maps, but as the unit speaks to you, it's not really necessary. You can hit your fingers on the screen when you change gear sometimes, but after the first couple of times, you modify your grip on the lever. If you're Auto, then this won't apply! Satellite reception isn't perfect being well inside the car, but I normally get an accuracy of around 18 to 20 feet, which isn't bad.

As far as suction mounts go, and I've tried Tom Tom and Garmin, the ONLY place to stick them is on the windscreen - even though some of the plastics seem flat and shiny, the suction cups do not work at all, or drop off after a few bumps, although I didn't try it on the iDrive screen!!! Garmin supply a disc as standard that has permanent adhesive on it. I have fixed this in the cubby, and the suction mount sticks to that.

When I use the unit in other cars, I have a spare power cable, and from experience, the battery will last at least a constant eight hours when you don't have power.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Cris,

Pictures as promised:
Garmin Nuvi navigation-dscn1747.jpg
Cubby with just the sticky pad on the base - wires tucked away at the back.
Ignore the thing with the yellow buttons, that's just my gate remote!

Garmin Nuvi navigation-dscn1748.jpg
With the wires hanging out

Garmin Nuvi navigation-dscn1749.jpg
With the suction mount added

Garmin Nuvi navigation-dscn1750.jpg
With the 360 mounted

Garmin Nuvi navigation-dscn1752.jpg
With the gear lever in third - closest to the 360.

Shots taken from drivers seat - obviously your's is on the "wrong" side, but I'm sure you get the idea!

The plug that is lying to the right of the cubby is the connection for Traffic warnings. This addition is standard in the UK, but I think its an extra elsewhere. If you get one, you MUST have the external power connected via the mount, with the traffic plugged in the side, otherwise it doesn't work. i.e. you can't use it on internal batteries.

For the 360 power, I tapped into the cigar lighter wires. This means that the unit switches off when the ignition is switched off, but it bursts into life when the ignition is turned on.

Hope they're useful to you.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

very nice thx for the usefull info I am planning to dump my tt700bt and get the mio c710 with iGO.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='390064' date='Feb 11 2007, 09:21 AM

Shots taken from drivers seat - obviously your's is on the "wrong" side, but I'm sure you get the idea!

The plug that is lying to the right of the cubby is the connection for Traffic warnings. This addition is standard in the UK, but I think its an extra elsewhere. If you get one, you MUST have the external power connected via the mount, with the traffic plugged in the side, otherwise it doesn't work. i.e. you can't use it on internal batteries.

For the 360 power, I tapped into the cigar lighter wires. This means that the unit switches off when the ignition is switched off, but it bursts into life when the ignition is turned on.

Hope they're useful to you.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the pictures. I hardwired my XM Sportscaster in the pocket below the CD player, but it's nice to see that mounting the Nuvi there is an option as well. I'm thinking about finding a way to mount it near the idrive screen or maybe on the driver's side (left of the steerign wheel in the US).

thanks again. I just bought the Nuvi 350 online minutes ago and should have it within about 5 days.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Members

I went thought the same dilemma, as I have two cars, plus a motorcycle and do travel a lot on rental cars. I purchased a Nuvi 350 last October and so far I get about 3 -4 hours on the battery.
I initially placed it on the windshield, but found that it was too far and it left a mess in the windshield when I removed the mounting bracket. Also very distracting.
I have attached some pictures of my solution, it works pretty well most of the time, as you have to make sure that the suction cup sticks to the tape.
Basically I just placed a clear shipping tape on the side of the I-Drive Screen and attach the suction cup to it.
You probably can see them in this picture toward the sides..
Garmin Nuvi navigation-img_0001.jpg

This is a view of the mounting bracket
Garmin Nuvi navigation-img_0002.jpg

Garmin Nuvi navigation-img_0003.jpg

This last one is what the driver sees
Garmin Nuvi navigation-img_0004.jpg
Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Camilosal,

That's a good option for mounting as the unit is nice and visible when driving. Even though the plastic by the screen is smooth, it is not smooth enough for the suction mount and it keeps dropping off. The idea of using tape to "smooth the lumps" out is a good one. I didn't want to mount the permanent disc just there on mine as it would look a mess when I come to sell the car. At the moment, all I need to do is replace the cubby box, which is only a few $ and easy to change. In my situation I wouldn't have wanted two wires/plugs sticking out when the unit was removed. Probably a good option for Wasupdu though.

On my E46, I made a bracket that fixed on the air vent underneath the trim panel (i.e. you couldn't see the mounting screws). It may be an option on Wasupdu's E60 to do this. IMHO the unit is better to glance at when it is on the right of the steering wheel (or left on a LHD car). I suppose we have to make compromises in life!

At one time, I did consider using the cupholder mechanism to hold the 360, so it just slid into the dash as a complete unit. I gave up on that idea as too complex! The other option I thought of was replacing the ashtray with the 360 - it is the same size. I could have quite easily got it to fit, but as the aerial has to be out, it would mean that I would have had to remove the centre trim to update my speed camera positions. Not ideal as I do this task fortnightly!

For those members thinking of going the TomTom route. Look carefully at the suction mount before you buy. It is not the best design. It is prone to dropping off, and after a while, the TomTom unit will "droop". I understand that TomTom have just released a new, redesigned mount, so make sure you get a good one.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Garmin Nuvi navigation-dscf0083_1_.jpg

I use this setup most of time. Just open ash tray, open Nuvi antenna for only 45 degrees and put nuvi like that. Works fine after waiting it locked.

Garmin Nuvi navigation-dscf0084_1_.jpg

I occasionally use this way. Open Nuvi antenna for only 45 degrees and put like that. There is enough friction on that surface and nuvi doesn't move at all.

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi navigation