E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Garmin GVN 53

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have experience with the Garmin GVN 53, Black Box GPS/Nav unit?

I have an 06 530xiT w/o nav and was thinking to get the AV interface to hook up back up cam and then add the Garmin Nav. Seems pretty sweet and can be had for about $450 and no programing or anything from the dealer...It uses the same technology as the Garmin Nuvi's and uses a remote for all the input, Also can subscribe to FM Traffic and XM Radio and XW Weather as well...

If no response, I may still take the plunge and let everyone know how it goes...Seems like a less expensive alternative to in dash GPS without the little unit on the windshield.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i want to know that too!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Very curious, I too want navi in my iDrive..........pls keep us informed.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cwickberg' post='1061061' date='Nov 23 2009, 06:13 PM
Anyone have experience with the Garmin GVN 53, Black Box GPS/Nav unit?

I have an 06 530xiT w/o nav and was thinking to get the AV interface to hook up back up cam and then add the Garmin Nav. Seems pretty sweet and can be had for about $450 and no programing or anything from the dealer...It uses the same technology as the Garmin Nuvi's and uses a remote for all the input, Also can subscribe to FM Traffic and XM Radio and XW Weather as well...

If no response, I may still take the plunge and let everyone know how it goes...Seems like a less expensive alternative to in dash GPS without the little unit on the windshield.
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing, but here are the issues I encountered:
1) The GVN 53 does not have a VGA output, so you will need to use a lower quality video input on your A/V interface
2) The GVN 53 is controlled by a hand-held remote control, so it wont be very well integrated into the car.
3) The GVN is $450, which is a bit expensive for a single purpose device like that

With this in mind, I have been thinking of using a mini laptop (Dell mini9 netbook) with a VGA output. I will put the netbook in my glove box and connect the VGA and power. I have a tiny bluetooth GPS receiver that I will mount somewhere and feed GPS to the netbook wirelessly. I will use Garmin Mobile PC software ($59) which works exactly like a normal garmin. I will also use a mini USB trackpad to control the Netbook and will mount it inside the front ashtray (so it is hidden when closed).

In addition to the relatively low cost, this setup will also provide the most flexibility. I can use the netbook for GPS, movies, email, Internet, etc... I can also just disconnect it and take in the house for loading software, etc...
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='1061175' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:07 PM
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing, but here are the issues I encountered:
1) The GVN 53 does not have a VGA output, so you will need to use a lower quality video input on your A/V interface
2) The GVN 53 is controlled by a hand-held remote control, so it wont be very well integrated into the car.
3) The GVN is $450, which is a bit expensive for a single purpose device like that

With this in mind, I have been thinking of using a mini laptop (Dell mini9 netbook) with a VGA output. I will put the netbook in my glove box and connect the VGA and power. I have a tiny bluetooth GPS receiver that I will mount somewhere and feed GPS to the netbook wirelessly. I will use Garmin Mobile PC software ($59) which works exactly like a normal garmin. I will also use a mini USB trackpad to control the Netbook and will mount it inside the front ashtray (so it is hidden when closed).

In addition to the relatively low cost, this setup will also provide the most flexibility. I can use the netbook for GPS, movies, email, Internet, etc... I can also just disconnect it and take in the house for loading software, etc...

This sounds very interesting, as you can also use the mini for other apps as well...I guess you would still need power (such as an inverter), and sound can use an adapter... what about heat in the glovebox...(is the E60 glovebox AC'd?) Also, what about shut down, etc...I guess you would have to boot it up and shut it down each time you use it...( possible to set this up for automatic?

From what I've seen on the Garmin website, the GVN 53 does have RGB output, so i think you can get a plug adapter to convert to VGA input...

I like to Mini idea heat and start up/shut down may cause some problems...