E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

FTM "Tire pressure monitor" with new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i.... Saphire Black Metallic...19 inch Axis Milanos....Auburn dakota interior.....ACS rear lip spoiler... And a whole lot of head turns ;)

Hey Guys i put the new wheels on her today (looks gorgeous) Will post pics tomorrow.

Just wondering when setting the FTM, how long does it usually take? I had the wheels put on today and before i drove it out of the bay i tried to reset it. But it said "initializing" for about 5 minutes. I drove it out either way, and tried setting it again in the parking lot, again it just kept on saying "initializing"

I drove her home and the Tire pressure light didnt come on. everything seems to be ok "knock on wood"

just wanted to know if the FTM was set or not? if not what do i gotta do to set it.??

Kris
Old 07-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 2k6e60' date='Jul 8 2005, 01:27 AM
Hey Guys i put the new wheels on her today (looks gorgeous) Will post pics tomorrow.?

Just wondering when setting the FTM, how long does it usually take? I had the wheels put on today and before i drove it out of the bay i tried to reset it. But it said "initializing" for about 5 minutes. I drove it out either way, and tried setting it again in the parking lot, again it just kept on saying "initializing"

I drove her home and the Tire pressure light didnt come on.? everything seems to be ok "knock on wood"

just wanted to know if the FTM was set or not? if not what do i gotta do to set it.??

Kris
[snapback]146822[/snapback]
In order for the car to reset or initialize the FTM, you need to reset it from iDrive (as you had done) but then you need to drive a few miles. Once the car collects enough information during the drive, the status will change from "initializing" to something like "active."

You can initialize it any time you want, just make sure that all your pressures are where you want them to be so that the car learns the proper inflation...
Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i.... Saphire Black Metallic...19 inch Axis Milanos....Auburn dakota interior.....ACS rear lip spoiler... And a whole lot of head turns ;)

Im such a clutz... I just checked it and it says "active"

So all is good!

thanks alot for the help rudy really appreciate it!
Kriston
Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Just to emphasize what Rudy already pointed out...

It's important to inflate the tires to their correct pressure before using the iDrive to initialize calibration. If your pressure is too high/low, the computer will think THAT is your normal pressure.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:30 AM
dc1
Members

just put some new wheels on. getting the FLAT TIRE error in the idrive. called the dealer, they advise me there must be a sensor in the valve stem. can anyone confirm?

i go into the idrive and reset the FTM. it will go away for about 15-25 miles, than it will come back on. when i tried to reset, it will get stuck in initialize. i let it sit for at least 10 minutes and still it stays in initialize. how long should i wait?

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='149047' date='Jul 14 2005, 06:53 AM
Just to emphasize what Rudy already pointed out...

It's important to inflate the tires to their correct pressure before using the iDrive to initialize calibration. If your pressure is too high/low, the computer will think THAT is your normal pressure.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dc1' post='310309' date='Jul 13 2006, 10:30 AM
just put some new wheels on. getting the FLAT TIRE error in the idrive. called the dealer, they advise me there must be a sensor in the valve stem. can anyone confirm?

i go into the idrive and reset the FTM. it will go away for about 15-25 miles, than it will come back on. when i tried to reset, it will get stuck in initialize. i let it sit for at least 10 minutes and still it stays in initialize. how long should i wait?
Yep, if you have an 07 (maybe applies to 06's too) it's not going to go away without the additional hardware. FTM now works with and requires sensors - it used to be based solely on differences in tire rotations. If you've fitted new wheels etc to a new car you'll need to get the sensors as wel,l whereas in the past a simple reset as above once you've put on the new wheels and tires would have sufficed.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
dc1
Members

03/04 build. 2004 530i. i have tried resetting through the idrive, it gets stuck on initializing..... i have let it initializing for 10+ minutes.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='310311' date='Jul 13 2006, 10:53 AM
Yep, if you have an 07 (maybe applies to 06's too) it's not going to go away without the additional hardware. FTM now works with and requires sensors - it used to be based solely on differences in tire rotations. If you've fitted new wheels etc to a new car you'll need to get the sensors as wel,l whereas in the past a simple reset as above once you've put on the new wheels and tires would have sufficed.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I

The vehicle has to be moving of course not just sitting there.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
dc1
Members

i have to be moving for this to reset? the idrive says otherwise, in parking position.

Originally Posted by izen2' post='310342' date='Jul 13 2006, 12:56 PM
The vehicle has to be moving of course not just sitting there.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Originally Posted by dc1' post='310309' date='Jul 13 2006, 10:30 AM
Yup, I have the same exact problem.

Quick Reply: FTM "Tire pressure monitor" with new wheels