E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

FTM and New Rims....questions!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

OK.. i have used the SEARCH function so all you forum people, please do not martar me.

I read up on the topic but still have not found the answer.

Scenario:

I have 06 OEM 17s" with the FTM (not TPMS). I know this because the stem is rubber and not metal like the TPMS. I do not want to switch to aftermarket 20s. PIAA super rozza.

I read all the posts with the TPMS malfunctioning on aftermarket rims because there is no spot for them and new holes will have to be drilled into the rim for the TPMS to function. Or one can get some steel straps to secure it down. If one does not use those functions, the warning light will be on indefinitely and the TPMS will not function.

I got that much figured out. BUT.... I have the FTM and wonder do I need to go through that same process. Or do the FTM sit on the rim differently and they will fit on any aftermarket Rim without any modding needed.

THANKS!!! please help!

-James
Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

FTM is easy to set. First make sure the tires you selected are the correct sizes, i.e. close to stock diameter. Next inflate the tires to their correct cold pressures. Then go into iDrive to the FTM menu (or say 'FTM' for voice command). Start the car up. Select RESET under the FTM menu, then go for a little drive. The FTM begins initializing to record the rolling circumference of all 4 tires. So now, if you encounter any low pressure in any tire, the rolling circumference changes and the FTM warning light will trigger. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Members

Arrow

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='571926' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:13 PM
FTM is easy to set. First make sure the tires you selected are the correct sizes, i.e. close to stock diameter. Next inflate the tires to their correct cold pressures. Then go into iDrive to the FTM menu (or say 'FTM' for voice command). Start the car up. Select RESET under the FTM menu, then go for a little drive. The FTM begins initializing to record the rolling circumference of all 4 tires. So now, if you encounter any low pressure in any tire, the rolling circumference changes and the FTM warning light will trigger. Hope this helps.
That makes sense, but my other question is will the FTM fit in the aftermarket rim or wheel grove? The main problem I read about the TPMS is that the sensor does not fit in the slot of most aftermarket wheels.

Does the FTM have the same problem????

thanks?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by bmwpwr' post='571996' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:21 PM
That makes sense, but my other question is will the FTM fit in the aftermarket rim or wheel grove? The main problem I read about the TPMS is that the sensor does not fit in the slot of most aftermarket wheels.

Does the FTM have the same problem????

thanks?
there are no individual wheel sensors mounted on the wheels on cars with the FTM system, only cars with TPMS have wheel mounted sensors.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='572510' date='May 1 2008, 02:02 PM
there are no individual wheel sensors mounted on the wheels on cars with the FTM system, only cars with TPMS have wheel mounted sensors.
Exactly. FTM is less complicated b/c there are no rim sensors like TPM. Just inflate tires, reset FTM, drive off, done.

My own predicament is more complicated because I have TPM and my Dinan rims (from my old 550 with FTM) don't have TPM sensors. I bought new sensors and tomorrow, I'll finally get them mounted. It's been a pain to live with a blinking TPM malfunction warning light this past week!