E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTM Problem, Need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, how's it going.......Here's my situation.

Just put aftermarket wheels (style 172) on my 04 545i sport. Before I swapped the wheels the FTM came on, dunno why....but tires looked ok however they're run flats. Anywho......I was informed by service dept that I would need to put sensors on the wheels since the new ones didnt come with them. So instead of taking them off, I just bought 4 new ones. They put them on the car with the new wheels. Do I need to set the FTM now, or will these sensors not work. The stock wheels (style 124) did not seem to have the same setup as they were rubber valve stems and the new wheels have metal/chrome stems.

My question is, will I be able to just reset the FTM with these new sensors in, or did I get the wrong ones?? Also, is there a way to disable the FTM entirely without is buzzzing everytime i get in the car.

I know it's alot of info, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

according to the manual of my 05 530 and a service advisor, there are no individual sensors. the speed sensor at each wheel masures the rotations and if the tire goes flat, or looses pressure it can detect that. i'd think a 2004 model is the same way. did you reset the TPM right after putting the new wheels one?
Originally Posted by Graygli' post='559352' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:45 PM

Just put aftermarket wheels (style 172) on my 04 545i sport. Before I swapped the wheels the FTM came on, dunno why....but tires looked ok however they're run flats. Anywho......I was informed by service dept that I would need to put sensors on the wheels since the new ones didnt come with them. So instead of taking them off, I just bought 4 new ones. They put them on the car with the new wheels. Do I need to set the FTM now, or will these sensors not work. The stock wheels (style 124) did not seem to have the same setup as they were rubber valve stems and the new wheels have metal/chrome stems.

My question is, will I be able to just reset the FTM with these new sensors in, or did I get the wrong ones?? Also, is there a way to disable the FTM entirely without is buzzzing everytime i get in the car.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

I had the similar problem on my 03 530i when i put 4x 172 wheels on last year, i think what you need to do is to reset the tyre pressure via the idrive and you should be fine, but i would check all tyres pressure are correctly inflated before resetting it.

And as far as i know, post 05 car (possibly 09/05), the FTM sensors are located in the ABS system, but for the pre 05 car, FTM sensors are in the valve stems. (I am not entirely sure, pls correct me if am wrong)

Goodluck
Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Members

Yea, i'm not sure about which years have which type of sensors. I did just reset the system through the Idrive, and so far so good. THanks for the replies guys!!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by Graygli' post='559352' date='Apr 11 2008, 01:45 AM

There should be no sensors... all what you need to do is to reset the pressure via i-drive. I am a bit confused on what service dept you took your car to!?!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Graygli' post='559352' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:45 PM

If I'm following your post correctly, your old tires/wheels had no sensors because you have the FTM system, not the TPM system. Therefore, no sensors would be required for the new wheels either.

I would get my money back.