E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Front door speaker replacement complete!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, just finished installing MB Quart components into the front doors of my '06 525xi. Some of you may remember my thread from last week that mentioned doing this install: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=71369&st=0

So today I set out to install the Quarts and it went very smoothly. Again, I won't get into much detail here but if anyone has any questions please feel free to let me know, thanks.

First things first: DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BY REMOVING THE GROUND CABLE!

Comparisons of the factory speakers compared to the MB Quart components:

Passenger door panel removed:

Note: if you need help removing the door panel, do a search here- there are some really good instructionals on how to do this. Basically long-story-short, there are two screws to remove and then it just pops off. But DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND so that you can easily unplug the airbag without any problems.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Members

Note the factory speakers have three mounting points; most aftermarket speakers have four, in a different orientation from the factory. So, a quick but sturdy way to mount the new speakers is necessary:

I am only using three of the four available points on the MB Quarts, but they are rock-solid and are not going anywhere...... this method works fine!

Close shot of the new crossover......... Note that I velcro'ed this to the backside of the door panel.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Members

The easiest part of the install was the tweeters. The MB Quart units are identical in size to the factory. You can just pop the factory units out, and pop the Quarts back into place. Literally, it's easy as can be.........

Old 02-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Members

I have to say that I was pretty happy with the factory speakers........ when you listen to them they don't sound that bad. BUT, you would not believe the difference that the MB Quarts make, it is a completely different sound all together. Although the Quarts are less efficient so they are not quite as loud as the factory speakers, their tonal quality is amazing and the clarity is top notch. The lack of volume was not a problem for me, because (you may remember from my other thread) I have an Alpine amp driving these, and because the Quarts are built better I was able to turn up the amplifier and regain any lost volume, but still maintained the increased level of clarity and response. These speakers are amazing! I did not plan to replace my rear deck speakers, but after hearing these in the doors, I don't think I have any other choice LOL..........

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

I had a set of Beyma Components and they're great too. I Had mb's on one of my cars and they were good but very rich in high's. overall, great speaker set. I heard focal is pretty good but pricey for a complete set up
Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60' post='804218' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:05 PM
I had a set of Beyma Components and they're great too. I Had mb's on one of my cars and they were good but very rich in high's. overall, great speaker set. I heard focal is pretty good but pricey for a complete set up

They are a tad bright with the tweeter so high in the door, so I set the driver's side tweeter at -3db and left the passenger side at zero to help concentrate. Focal makes nice components, same thing goes for Polk and Boston Acoustics if you pay for the premium stuff.