E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Foggy headlights return.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently made a topic concerning foggy headlights. I fixed the problem with a kit but it's returning again. I think it will soon be time to replace them. Can anyone give me advice on whether to go to the dealership or to a shop. And why do they fog up after only 3 years?

Thank you

-Krozi
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I guess perhaps they are really "Foglights" after all!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Can I buy aftermarket headlights and get them installed by someone else? Or does that mess with warranty or something?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='686382' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:46 PM
I recently made a topic concerning foggy headlights. I fixed the problem with a kit but it's returning again. I think it will soon be time to replace them. Can anyone give me advice on whether to go to the dealership or to a shop. And why do they fog up after only 3 years?

Thank you

-Krozi
If the fogging is occasional (i.e. they fog-up then clear) usually it's because something lets water into the headlights, when they heat up (from the bulbs) the water vapourizes and condenses on the glass. in this case, detach the glass, dry them thoroughly, refit, and seal-off any broken/chipped areas.

If the fogging is constant, then the headlights are not original ones, the plastic went bad.

the other reason maybe that this is not fogging, but rather corrosion from debris and dirt from the roads (only if you drive it in places where this applies)

give me a heads-up.... good luck, cheers.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Egypt_525i' post='687317' date='Oct 7 2008, 08:56 AM
If the fogging is occasional (i.e. they fog-up then clear) usually it's because something lets water into the headlights, when they heat up (from the bulbs) the water vapourizes and condenses on the glass. in this case, detach the glass, dry them thoroughly, refit, and seal-off any broken/chipped areas.

If the fogging is constant, then the headlights are not original ones, the plastic went bad.

the other reason maybe that this is not fogging, but rather corrosion from debris and dirt from the roads (only if you drive it in places where this applies)

give me a heads-up.... good luck, cheers.
Well I do live in Florida and corrosion is sort of a big issue here especially because I live 5 min from the beach. Is replacing the headlights a DIY job? The dealer wants 600 per headlight. I really want to replace the headlights soon but my guess is that all you have to do is replace the headlight covers.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Have you been driving with them on --on non-foggy conditions ?

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='686433' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:59 AM
I guess perhaps they are really "Foglights" after all!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

I think the washer fuid makes them cloudy right?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Senior Members

Anybody have a DIY for removing the glass from the headlight housing? How would you place it back if it is sealed in? Glue? Reason i am asking this is that I played with my lights so many times that now their is alot of dust inside the headlight housing and drasticlly decrease the power of the lights. The intensity of the lights are their but they do not go as far as they used to.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Not only they fog, they also crack ... all of them! Unbeliavable That's why we love our E60s' ... they are so human
Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hondik' post='687904' date='Oct 8 2008, 01:59 AM
Not only they fog, they also crack ... all of them! Unbeliavable That's why we love our E60s' ... they are so human
Do they crack and get pores because of the washer fluid? That's what the dealer told me.

Quick Reply: Foggy headlights return.