E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Flat Tire and Chrome Wheel Correlation

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Nov 1 2004, 10:27 PM
Just curious, trying to figure out the problem (as a metallurgist). Were the tires ever removed from the wheel in question? Is this the first time rubber was in contact with the chrome? If a tire has come off from the chrome rim, did it take some chrome with it (from off the wheel) ?? If so, the chrome is peeling off from the wheel because it is stuck to the rubber and starting the leak.? Aluminum and chrome have very different thermal expansion coefficients and the chrome is much stiffer than the aluminum.
Just a thought. I don't actually know if this is the reason for the problem.
[snapback]51993[/snapback]
Unfortunately I do not know the answers to those questions. I bought them with the car, as-is, off the show room. I thought it was an interesting response from the service folks. What's the odds of two identical 545's with same wheels, having the same symptons. Hmmm. Nothing major but it could get annoying if this occurs every 30 days or so.

Teriyaki
Old 11-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Nov 1 2004, 11:27 PM
Just curious, trying to figure out the problem (as a metallurgist). Were the tires ever removed from the wheel in question? Is this the first time rubber was in contact with the chrome? If a tire has come off from the chrome rim, did it take some chrome with it (from off the wheel) ?? If so, the chrome is peeling off from the wheel because it is stuck to the rubber and starting the leak.? Aluminum and chrome have very different thermal expansion coefficients and the chrome is much stiffer than the aluminum.
Just a thought. I don't actually know if this is the reason for the problem.
[snapback]51993[/snapback]
I don't think the wheel really gets hot enough to undergo any significant expansion. If it did, and that caused the chrome to flake, we would see that on the wheel 'spokes' closest to the hot brake disc. I haven't heard of these problems. Plus, as I'm sure you know, chrome plating is one of the toughest materials you can plate with. I don't think it's flaking off unless the plating is defective.

My guess would be chrome is tough to bond to using the adhesive they typically use for tires, and you are getting leaks between the chrome lip and the tire.