E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

First Set of Mods Done - Temp Tag Was Still On!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big thanks to John at Motorcepts!!

First set of mods in complete and here is my feedback;

1. Full interior LED kit
- Kit was very high quality and comes with replacement lenses in most cases, not just bulbs.
- Overall process was 2 out of 5 wrenches (1 meaning my wife or my car illiterate buddies could do, 5 meaning I take it in).
- Did the "crazy" kit which is everything, plus the license plate. Only "tough" part was the center dome lights because you have to take off the plastic cover and this does involve some amount of care. Everything else was really easy.
- Did lose one of the metal clips on the license plate light, working with John on a replacement. Be careful when installing not to lose these and without them the light will not seat. I now have one LED and one incandescent light! Good thing I am out of the country for a week and wont need to drive it.
- The cost to benefit ratio is well worth it in my view. I would highly recommend this mod even thought I was skeptical at first.

2. MTEC V3 H8 Kit for the Angel Eyes
- Again, a high quality kit from what I could see. I have installed light kits on my truck and on another buddies, and I would say this one was above average based on those previous kits.
- To do this mod I pulled the headlight, not because you have to (I dont think you do), but because I also changed the low beam bulb at the same time.
- I just tucked the "mini ballast" into the angel eye area, seems fine.
- The white look is much better then the stock "yellow". Not sure if I like this or the interior LED's better, but I think this one as they are on all the time.
- Without pulling the headlight this is a 1.5 out of 5 wrench. Pretty simple and high return.

3. New 6000k Low Beams
- Not something that was absolutely required, but John recommended as I was also changing the fogs to HIDs with a temp of 6000k so in order to get everything to match it made sense.
- Pulling the headlight was not easy at first. I could not find a good DIY (John has a good one by the way, but I saw it after I did the work), and did it via trial and error. I did not pull the rubber pc and was still able to get it out. I was pretty careful not to damage anything so it took me longer then I wanted it too.
- Changing the low beams themselves was pretty easy and straight forward.
- Hard to say how much return this one gave me for the investment, but at least it is done now.
- I would say this is a 2.5 out of 5. Pulling the headlight the headlight was painful the way I did it, and using John's instructions it would have been much easier. But you need the correct torques heads to get the job done, not sure everyone has those. Follow John's instructions and it will be much easier.

4. HID Fogs - 6000k
- Kit was an equivalent quality with those that I have used to update my truck and others to HID. Looked like the same manufacture even, I know the ballasts are the same, and the packaging for the bulb also appears the same. In general, it is well put together with water proof connections except the one that connects to the stock power supply.
- I did the change via the wheel well. I could have done with the head lights out, but again, I didnt find the DIY's until after I was done with everything!! If I had to do it over again, I still think I would go in via the wheel well. It worked out fine and takes all of about 5 mins total to pull both wheel wells and then the belly pc.
- I attached my ballast back to the belly pc via double sided foam take and tucked all the wires up in side as best I could.
- I also use copious amounts of electrical tape on the stock power supply connections.
- This mod was well worth the investment. The results look awesome, and now my front end matches and looks like something that was built in 2009 and cost $60k should look like!
- This was also a 2.5 out of 5 as well. Not very difficult, just go slow and take your time.

Here was the total time for each project;
Interior LED's - 30 mins
MTEC AE's - 20 mins without pulling headlight
Low Beams - 40 mins due to headlight pull and re-install. Second time around it would be about 10 mins quicker
HIDs - 40 mins total - second time would be about 10 mins quicker due to learning curve

Overall alot of fun and pumped I did it all before I had to take the temp tag off!!

Next set of Mods are already on order from Trinity!! Stand by.

If anyone wants pics let me know. I planned to wait to take some until the second set of mods was complete.

Thanks again to John.

JD
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Nice review
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Pics now, please! I want to see the MTec AEs! How much are they, anyway? I don't see them on the site...
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Awesome! Post pics, we like pics.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Considering that it was your first time installing these parts, the install time is pretty impressive.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the plane now to Frankfurt, I get back on Friday and will post up some when I return.

Re; install time - the car itself isn't so bad to work on. I did a lot of these same mods to my truck, so the core process I knew. It was the application specific items that caused some issues I.e. headlight removal.

JD