E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

First and only! Remodded my moded headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Nice work there - balls of steel, as always.

I'm surprised no one had taken on the idea of lighting up the fins over the blinkers before. I thought that one would be one that would be screaming "mod me!". Not bad

Only thing that's bugging me is the contrast from the Orion's. They're almost a yellow-ish tint. Seems a bit more noticeable with everything blacked out.

Though I suppose that doesn't matter once the rings are on
Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yah, I actually went through 5 different designs/set ups, at the end, I have discarded the idea and think if I were to continue, I will be utilizing a switchback system to power the fins instead. As you can see in two pics, I had originally intended to light up each fin by using singular LEDs, unfortunately, due to the length of the top two fins, that didn't work out -- otherwise it actually looked pretty amazing in person.

But yes, the multi LEDs in the fins, that had to go because it looked too Christmas-y to me. Plus with the Orions lit, its brightness is strongly overshadowed by the Orions.

As for opening it back up. It really depends on how you sealed it. I would say mine was quite a handful, and I definitely made new perforations instead of where I plastic soldered because of the silicone, but it can't be avoided. Thankfully, it's my own headlights, so I can deal with it should problem occur. Which I can proudly say no problem at all even after two washes so far

Oh, DK, I thought you did purchase a set of LCI headlights? Isn't that why you bought the LCI eyebrow replacements?
I always thought about lighting up the fins like the way you did after I saw M.A.C. E92 M3. But I didn't have LCI headlights. Too bad the single LED didn't work out for the top 2 fins. That would've been nice. I was going to go with LCI, but settled with the ones I got with the Orions. I still have the LCI eyebrow replacement. That's for later on when I finally jump on the LCI conversion.

I hope the harness from TheRacerBoss will fix the inner ring going in and out so I don't have to open it up again.

Good job.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Nice work there - balls of steel, as always.

I'm surprised no one had taken on the idea of lighting up the fins over the blinkers before. I thought that one would be one that would be screaming "mod me!". Not bad

Only thing that's bugging me is the contrast from the Orion's. They're almost a yellow-ish tint. Seems a bit more noticeable with everything blacked out.

Though I suppose that doesn't matter once the rings are on
Actually, quite the opposite. In person, the individual SMDs actually look blue-ish next to the Orions. I have some other pics that show this that I didn't upload.

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I always thought about lighting up the fins like the way you did after I saw M.A.C. E92 M3. But I didn't have LCI headlights. Too bad the single LED didn't work out for the top 2 fins. That would've been nice. I was going to go with LCI, but settled with the ones I got with the Orions. I still have the LCI eyebrow replacement. That's for later on when I finally jump on the LCI conversion.

I hope the harness from TheRacerBoss will fix the inner ring going in and out so I don't have to open it up again.

Good job.
That really is my inspiration. The thing is, the E92's fins are much shorter and does not have the curvature that the LCI E60s have. I took down the dimensions of the fins, and at a 3mm width, there's next to none strip type (easy way out) of ribbon to test. But yah, the E60s also have more fins as well.

Humm, so you still have the LCI eyebrow replacement? I actually need a set for a client. I am going to send you a group PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

WHAAAAA? Son, you crazy!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

wow very nice!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

Frickin' amazing bro!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

wow!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

WIN
Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Thanks for the feedback guys

I think that the average person can probably tell the headlights are custom (even when everything's off), but really only those of us that own the car or are enthusiast will see the quad projector. I am pretty happy that I am the first person to pull this off
Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

What projector did you use for the inner ring?

Quick Reply: First and only! Remodded my moded headlights!