E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi Pmmeke

The LCD out on the interface is ONLY for the iDrive screen itself, either 6.5" or 8.8". If you want to hook up more screens, then you will have to use a video switcher like the Clarion MSS 433 which I have fitted to my car. The iDrive interface can only output images to the iDrive screen.

The V1, V2, V3 and REAR RCA sockets are for your devices as you said: dvd, xbox, ps rear cam etc..

All the Best

Hobi
Old 09-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Pmmeke

The LCD out on the interface is ONLY for the iDrive screen itself, either 6.5" or 8.8".? If you want to hook up more screens, then you will have to use a video switcher like the Clarion MSS 433 which I have fitted to my car.? The iDrive interface can only output images to the iDrive screen.

The V1, V2, V3 and REAR RCA sockets are for your devices as you said: dvd, xbox, ps rear cam etc..

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]167803[/snapback]
ok and where do you connect the switcher to? So the lcd goes in the switcher and the switcher creates more outputs like lcd + svideo for the screens? Can you have idrive video and video for the hearrest at the same time or do you have to choose when installing it ...so only idrive or only 2 headrest screens...or all the devices that can play the same time.

Or do you mean for headrest only you dont need the tvnav unit only the switcher and a dvd player? If thats the case, can you hook up the aux audio to a optional aux bmw in? Does the dvd player have a aux that will fit the bmw aux in?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 08:16 AM
Hi Pmmeke

The sound from your input source, for example, a DVD player mounted in the trunk, is routed into the car audio system using the Audio Aux Input that any BMW dealer can install for you.? Once you have this Audio Aux Input, you can connect any source device to it: iPod, DVD, VCR - anything that has a LINE OUT output.? You CANNOT connect a Sony Cassette Walkman to it unless the Walkman has a LINE OUT.

You ask about the quality of sound...? The quality of sound is no different to that of the sound you get when playing a CD from the changer or CD single slot in the dashboard.? The only technical difference is that it is an analogue audio connection instead of a pure digital one.

There is no hiss, pop, transmission interference or RF noise provided you use high quality cables to connect your source input device to the Audio Aux Input.

There are forum members that have plugged in their iPod directly into the Audio Aux Input using a short cable such as Monster iPod cable.? Because the cable length is short, the signal is clean.? These people have mounted their iPod in the centre console storage area under the armrest, or in the glovebox.? In my case, all my input devices are in the trunk with cable runs of approx 5 metres.? I am using Stinger cables that are triple shielded with drain wire and twisted audio cores.? No RF pickup problems here at all...

The sound comes through the Logic 7 system just like your existing setup: 13 speakers, solid bass etc..

Pmmeke, if you use the Audio Aux Input correctly, the sound of ANY 3rd party aftermarket input device will sound as great as the buit-in CD changers etc..? Remember the computer phrase - GIGO... Garbage In, Garbage Out.? Use good quality hardware and you'll get the sound.?

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]167785[/snapback]
Hi Hobi,

Is this something you can fit on behalf of us lesser mortals. I'm in Newcastle, and I'm interested in the PAL box. Car is an 06 535dS with 6.5" no nav.

What d ya think
Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi mixterk

Geordie eh...? I've been up there many times and love the place! My wife is from Gosforth!

Yep, I can install things for you in principle. The only deciding factor is when I can do it because I'm not in the UK very much. Having said that, I know I will be there in the middle of October for 6 days, and definitely from the 20th Dec until Jan 6...

On the other hand, you could take a leisure trip over to Europe and I can install here for you

What do you want to install in your car?

All the Best

Hobi
Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Hi Pmmeke

I think it is best if I describe as simply as possible what I have done in my car.

My AV setup is based around the Clarion switcher and the iDrive interface.

All my input devices go INTO the Clarion. The Clarion has THREE separate output zones - or three screens if you like. Zone 1 goes to the front iDrive screen VIA the interface box. Zone 2 goes to a widescreen LCD at the rear of the centre console so that people in the back can watch too. Zone 3 goes to a set of AV sockets so that I can connect yet another LC screen, or TV, or video camera/VCR etc..

The point of the Clarion switcher is that ALL THREE zones can watch DIFFERENT sources at the same time! For example, I can watch a DVD movie on the front iDrive screen whilst the people in the back can play on the PS2, listening through headphones, and Zone 3 can be listening to music from an iPod. Fully independent AV switching!

So, in your case, if you wanted to have TWO rear headrests AND fron iDrive screen displaying whatever, you will need something similar to mine. The iDrive interface box will output ONLY to the iDrive screen itself - directly. You cannot multiplex it at all.

Therefore, if you only want to have ONE physical screen in your car displaying DVD, or Rear Cam, or VCR etc., then you will only need the iDrive interface alone. The interface will do the switching for you.

HOWEVER, if you want rear screens as well as front iDrive screen, together with the possibility of watching different things simultaneously, you will the Clarion or similar PLUS the iDrive interface.

Hope that is clear for you. Any chance you are coming to IAA next week?? If so, I can show you EXACTLY how it is done and works in my car. Alternatively, if garehaan or mhoutman come along, and you know them personally, they can explain it to you when you next see them...

Tell me exactly what you WANT to have in your car and I'll tell you what you need in order to do it !

All the Best

Hobi
Old 09-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 05:31 PM
Hi mixterk

Geordie eh...?? I've been up there many times and love the place!? My wife is from Gosforth!

Yep, I can install things for you in principle.? The only deciding factor is when I can do it because I'm not in the UK very much.? Having said that, I know I will be there in the middle of October for 6 days, and definitely from the 20th Dec until Jan 6...

On the other hand, you could take a leisure trip over to Europe and I can install here for you

What do you want to install in your car?

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]167901[/snapback]
Looking to fit the device described on this thread, PAL version I guess cos thats what UK TV is, no other reason. Im looking then to hook it up to a DVD player, maybe other toys later. I know gosforth very well, as my wife is from there also.

I guess its down to timing of the PAL unit and your availability....

Howay the lads
Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Hi mixterk

Understood.... Will be in touch.. Noticed that you get your new E60 in October, so no point in doing the AV install now !!!!!

Do you come down to London at all???

All the Best

Hobi
Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 AM
IMU
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 05:42 PM
Tell me exactly what you WANT to have in your car and I'll tell you what you need in order to do it !

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]167912[/snapback]

Hi Hobi - If I just wanted to add the TV function to my car is this install OTT?

Thanks
IMU
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Hi Imu

My thoughts would be if you want just to watch tv, then you're probably better off getting the official BMW tv tuner retrofitted... Bear in mind that if you want o watch tv whilst the car is in "D" mode or you're in any gear, you'll need an unlocking black box that is available from a company in Austria. This plug in box will allow TV in motion using the BMW tv tuner and costs around 200 Euros.

All the Best

Hobi
Old 09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Sep 7 2005, 06:42 PM
Hi Pmmeke

I think it is best if I describe as simply as possible what I have done in my car.

My AV setup is based around the Clarion switcher and the iDrive interface.

All my input devices go INTO the Clarion.? The Clarion has THREE separate output zones - or three screens if you like.? Zone 1 goes to the front iDrive screen VIA the interface box.? Zone 2 goes to a widescreen LCD at the rear of the centre console so that people in the back can watch too.? Zone 3 goes to a set of AV sockets so that I can connect yet another LC screen, or TV, or video camera/VCR etc..

The point of the Clarion switcher is that ALL THREE zones can watch DIFFERENT sources at the same time!? For example, I can watch a DVD movie on the front iDrive screen whilst the people in the back can play on the PS2, listening through headphones, and Zone 3 can be listening to music from an iPod.? Fully independent AV switching!

So, in your case, if you wanted to have TWO rear headrests AND fron iDrive screen displaying whatever, you will need something similar to mine.? The iDrive interface box will output ONLY to the iDrive screen itself - directly.? You cannot multiplex it at all.

Therefore, if you only want to have ONE physical screen in your car displaying DVD, or Rear Cam, or VCR etc., then you will only need the iDrive interface alone.? The interface will do the switching for you.

HOWEVER, if you want rear screens as well as front iDrive screen, together with the possibility of watching different things simultaneously, you will the Clarion or similar PLUS the iDrive interface.

Hope that is clear for you.? Any chance you are coming to IAA next week??? If so, I can show you EXACTLY how it is done and works in my car.? Alternatively, if garehaan or mhoutman come along, and you know them personally, they can explain it to you when you next see them...

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]167912[/snapback]
Ok i got the idea now. Thanks. No i am not visiting the show. Other commitments.
For the time being i am collecting info. Thanks very helpfull

Quick Reply: FINISHED testing of NEW iDrive Interface