E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Finally installed my Hamann front splitter, thanks EuroRev

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .
Thumbs down

UPDATED: DIY instructions

A few folks have pinged me with questions relating to this DIY procedure. I decided that posting it might help folks out there wanting to install this themselves. Ok, here we go...

What you'll need:
  • shot of Crown Royal (or your liquor of choice)*
  • a very good friend (or two) to help you with lining up the splitter
  • (10) 5/16 diameter bolts (1.5" length, 1.0" might also work)
  • (20) 1/4 washers
  • (10) 5/16 lock ring
  • (10) 5/16 nuts
  • Drill with 3/8 or 5/16 drill bit
  • lots of beer*
  • garage lift, or
  • very low-profile jack (there's a center jack-point under the front of the car) and 2 jack stands. Should you decide to go this route, make sure that your handy BMW jack is available. You'll need it after the installation.
You should be able to get the mounting bolts, washers, lock ring, and nut at your local Home Depot.
  1. Jack the car up. Use the center jacking point under the front of car, or the one just behind the wheel (note the red jack in the pic below). Do not jack the car up using the standard jack points on the side. You'll need these for the jack stand supports.
  2. Once you have the car raised, support the car using the jack stands on the standard jack points in the front
  3. Get one of your friends to help you at this point. Line-up the splitter under the M-tech bumper, adjust as necessary until you're satisfied with how it sits with your M-tech bumper.
  4. Get under the car and while he's holding one side, and with you on the other side, mark the inner-most holes on each side with a black marker (or a white paint pen for those with a black or dark-colored car original.gif). Use a narrow paint pen stick; it'll make it easier when marking the drill holes.
  5. Drill the inner-most holes (on each side, near the center) that you previously marked, using 5/16 or 3/8 drill bit. This will get you started with a good line-up of the splitter to the bumper.
  6. Insert one 1.5" 5/16 diameter bolt and 1/4 washer through the splitter and through the bumper.
  7. From the bumper-side, insert 1/4 washer and 5/16 lock ring, followed by the 5/16 nut.
  8. Check the alignment again. If you're happy continue to the next step...
  9. With the splitter still mounted, mark the remaining holes to be drilled using your paint pen. This will ensure a thorough alignment and installation.
  10. The splitter is already pre-drilled; you'll simply need to drill 10 holes in your bumper, 5 total on each side. On my bumper, there was already 1 hole drilled on each side. The splitter holes did not line-up with these; I had to drill all 5 on each side.
  11. Repeat steps until all holes have been drilled and mounted
  12. Remove jack stands.
  13. Lower car. If you used a low-profile jack, you'll need your BMW jack to get the other jack out.
  14. Raise the car using your BMW jack -- jack it up using one of the standard jack points on the side (front-left or front-right).
  15. Remove low-profile jack
  16. Lower car
  17. Drink lots of beer to celebrate your installation
Note: I do not condone drinking and driving. References to shots of liquor and drinking lots of beer are to be contained within your garage and your property. I will not be responsible for your actions.

Alternatively, if you don't have any reliable friends, use double-sided 3m tape to temporarily hold the splitter in place while you align it. Once you're happy with the fit, simply use self-tapping screws (ones with the built-in washer) and screw the splitter onto the bumper. Start with the inner-most hole on each side.

Before...

Hours of cursing later...

Notice the low-profile jack is still under the car ^^^.
I actually had to use the BMW jack to get the "low-profile" jack out after the splitter installation.

Left-side fitment was a little off, but it could've been from my M-tech bumper.

Now I just need to install that ACS trunk spoiler and my exhaust.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='617275' date='Jul 6 2008, 04:12 AM
Before...

Hours of cursing later...

Notice the low-profile jack is still under the car ^^^.
I actually had to use the BMW jack to get the "low-profile" jack out after the splitter installation.

Left-side fitment was a little off, but it could've been from my M-tech bumper.

Now I just need to install that ACS trunk spoiler and my exhaust.
Looks soo nice.... congrads
Old 07-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D M Sport

Now that's nice! Look forward to seeing the exhaust and spoiler.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

looking good
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Looks awesome Frank!! Wheres the DIY?

What kind of problems did you have lining up the left side?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Looks great! I am trying to decide what I want to do (if anything) to my front end.

Waco
Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='617417' date='Jul 6 2008, 11:19 AM
Looks awesome Frank!! Wheres the DIY?

What kind of problems did you have lining up the left side?
Thanks everyone. Sorry no DIY, just a few pics and lots of bitching and cursing.
But if you decide to install it yourself, here's what you'll need:
  • a very good friend (or two) to help you with lining up the splitter
  • (10) 5/16 diameter bolts (1.5" length, 1.0" might also work)
  • (20) 1/4 washers
  • (10) 5/16 lock ring
  • (10) 5/16 nuts
  • Drill with 3/8 or 5/16 drill bit
  • lots of beer
  • garage lift, or
  • very low-profile jack (there's a center jack-point under the front of the car) and 2 jack stands
As far as lining-up the splitter with the bumper, it seems that the bottom left-side of my bumper was a little off as far as being even with the other side. This made it challenging in aligning the splitter evenly. The right-side lined-up perfectly though... Heck it could be my bumper or the splitter I may have the shop look at it when I get my trunk spoiler painted.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

naks!! sobrang ganda pare!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

Looks great! Update those Sig. pics
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

looks good Frank

Quick Reply: Finally installed my Hamann front splitter, thanks EuroRev