E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Finally got a chance to paint Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Pics taken with my BlackBerry Curve

Before: I noticed the calipers looking a little rusted and with the new wheels it didn't look good at all. :thumbsdown:

Again, special thanks to Luke for helping me. Up goes the car.

Got all the Calipers off and sandblasted. While Luke sandblasted, I blasted off the rust from the Hub rings and inside of wheels.

After sandblasting we got bare metal and ready for prime after a little tape job.

Now there's a chance to get behind the wheels with some Simple Green and a power wash.

Speed up process by hanging and painting ALL pieces at one time.

Got one side complete. Front brakes are harder to reconnect to the brake line since the connection is at an angle.

Took about 10 hrs with all the drying, etc. We used airplane engine paint and it came out a perfect color IMO. Got the brake pads lubed up good (now I don't have any more brake noise when stopping)

First glance the following morning. Too bad it's raining. hummm need some nice rotors now
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Nice job, is it hard to put back together or did you get help? I was thinking about doing the same thing but dont know if i can remember to put all the pieces back together.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Honestly, Luke is the man! He did the bulk of the work. I watched what he did and it's not really that hard (that's after watching it be done.) Luke also bleed the brake lines and got them nice a tight again for me. I basically bought the material needed and took everyone out to lunch while the paint was drying. Could I do it again myself, yes, but much, much, much, much, much longer. Again, Thanks Val and Luke.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Looks really great man!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Contributors

GREAT JOB MAN! I just did this 2 days ago, too! But I did gloss black.
Contributors

Looks good. Goes well with the tail lights.
Contributors

Thanks Krozi, now I just need to get my dang signature picture to show smaller.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Looks good. Goes well with the tail lights.
Yeah, that's what Val said yesterday as we stood back from our work.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
GREAT JOB MAN! I just did this 2 days ago, too! But I did gloss black.
Thanks, I was hesitant about red at first and thought the night before that I would paint them black. Now that the work is done I'm happy with the results.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Done

Finally got a chance to paint Calipers-smaller.jpg

Quick Reply: Finally got a chance to paint Calipers