E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Few Questions on BMW IPOD Kit and Dension ICE 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Hi guys,

I am debating between BMW IPOD Kit (~$250 from Garry I think?) VS Dension ICE 500 ($450)

Since Dension has USB 2.0, I kinda leaned toward it. But, since I already have an IPOD lying around, thinking of using it and spend 50% compared to Dension.

What do you guys think? Am I missing any features on screen via Dension ICE 500? or is it pretty much same look on screen w/ IPOD kit from BMW.

And also any limitations on IPOD Kit from BMW?

Last question, I have CD changer PREP only, no CD changer, so can install the ipod cable myself, and since I have v25 program may be no need to even take it to dealer? Could you pls point me to step-by-step install pics for IPOD kit.

Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

Hmmm none knows?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Members

Firstly can you play MP3 cds via the CD player in the dash? If not then either way you are going to need to see the dealer about getting it MP3 enabled.

I went with the Dension ICE 500 as its more expandable and has more features than the BMW adapter. You can hook up bluetooth phones (via an adapter), get video out of the iPod (again via an adapter), it also gives you a USB and a pair of phono inputs as well. Its also really quick to browse the content on my iPod.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Contributors

one negative point on point - you have very limited "random play" features, but I think this is mainly because of the idrive is not "state of the art"..
Old 09-14-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BrianC' post='469327' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:43 AM
Firstly can you play MP3 cds via the CD player in the dash? If not then either way you are going to need to see the dealer about getting it MP3 enabled.

I went with the Dension ICE 500 as its more expandable and has more features than the BMW adapter. You can hook up bluetooth phones (via an adapter), get video out of the iPod (again via an adapter), it also gives you a USB and a pair of phono inputs as well. Its also really quick to browse the content on my iPod.

Yes, my indash cd player plays mp3 cds. Don't need BT, already have in car. Don't think I will ever convert videos to ipod format and watch. if divx/xvid support then may be, but looks like dension dont do that. So that leaves IPOD support. not sure if $200+ more worth for dension. Unless Dension can comeup w/DVD player support I am sold
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i SMG
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='469384' date='Sep 14 2007, 07:22 AM
Yes, my indash cd player plays mp3 cds. Don't need BT, already have in car. Don't think I will ever convert videos to ipod format and watch. if divx/xvid support then may be, but looks like dension dont do that. So that leaves IPOD support. not sure if $200+ more worth for dension. Unless Dension can comeup w/DVD player support I am sold
How about USB!. Is seems like you are not considering USB option here. I selected Dension not only I was able to get USB as well as iPod, I could add this module and keep my CD changer. Since You already have MP3 capability, all you need is the CD changer connection cable. Which may or may not be there. You need to check that. However, if all your need is iPod only and do not have a need for USB,or cd-changer BMW option is cheaper.

The USB option for me opened up a music library source. I added a 250GB HD from Western digital. I just added USB power boost option to finalize my installation.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

whats the price you guys paid for Dension ICE 500?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Members

Hi, was thinking of adding the Dension unit myself as well. I have an 04 530i built 3/04, has the premuim sound with in glovebox cd changer. Had both the cd dash slot (for MP3's) and bluetooth enabled and they work fine.

The big reason I would go with the dension over the Ipod only connection is for the few extra bucks, I get the ability to add my sirius unit via the aux input and the usb drive add on.

Does anyone know a good source for the dension and or a shop to intstall on Long Island, NY.(is it plug and play like the MOST Ipod Caple is in place of the cd changer???)
Thanks , these forums are amazingly usefull
Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Yah the install should be plug and plug itseems if you have cd changer. if not need tohave it installed in glovebox like the bmw ipod adaptor and have it programmed at the dealer.

BMW IPOd adaptor is $224+ship

Dension is $500+ship!! (dont think will ever use AUX.. not sure how the ipod video quality would be on IDrive screen)

Still debating...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='469338' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:21 AM
one negative point on point - you have very limited "random play" features, but I think this is mainly because of the idrive is not "state of the art"..
Hi!
Do you want to betatest a new Dension FW which contains some Random handling improvements?

Quick Reply: Few Questions on BMW IPOD Kit and Dension ICE 500