E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Fellow NJ folks.. What's your experience with window tints?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

I live in central NJ, in Middlesex county.

One of the mods I've been pondering for the summertime was getting tints.. I haven't done any research into what %'s I'll be looking at yet though. I noticed the rear windows already have a tint.. so I might get just the front ones made to match the rears. I like the uniform and even look. Does anyone know what the stock tint on the back side windows are?

But for the more important question...

What's the consensus with central NJ cops and tints? I've heard from people in other states that their cops will get you in no time for it, while in other states they don't seem to care much.

NJ law apparently says that no tint at all can be put on the front side windows, which is totally lame.
... but if cops are lax and/or don't care, then I'd be up for it.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

Im in north jersey bout 80% of time and Never had problem with my tints in nj.
Just becareful in ny.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Members

upstate NY,
in my home town, they don't care whatsoever about my tints, which surprises me because its a pretty quiet area, id assume they are bored. i DID get a ticket near Erie PA (on the NY side of the border) though on a sunday afternoon, at 3:00pm, after being pulled over for doing 73 in a 65, was DWI tested (wasnt drunk, smelled like beer from the night before) then my car was searched with a drug dog (reminder - i was cooperative and consented every step of the way, as soon as the officer said i smelled like alcohol, i immediately said i had no issues taking a breathalyzer) - then the a**hole ticketed me for an expired inspection (10 days expired, told him i had an appointment in 2 days to have it done), and ticketed me for my tints. I had my windows rolled down and my car off and the officers buddy went to the vehicle and put the keys in the ignition and couldnt figure out how to start it, intimidated my friend into starting it (forgot to give him the "hey dont roll these up no mater what" talk) and then measured while i was still standing on one foot looking the other direction.

morale of the story: If you are pulled over by an asshole - he is going to find a reason to write you a ticket - no matter how cooperative you are, because your car is nicer than his, be it tints, or your headlights are too low to the ground or your music was too loud....etc...etc. the way the law is written in this country is so that you can really get pulled over for anything - i mean he could even lie and say you were talking on your cell phone. Tints look cool, they actually DO help keep your interior in better shape, and they actually DO help keep the sun out of your eyes when its low on the horizon,

what you should do: complain to your optometrist about light sensitivity and ask him to write you a perscription for them, then its all set and you dont have to worry about it. but honestly - youre driving a "hot" car (as my mom would put it) and youre going to get pulled over by douchers who are jealous (not saying all law enforcement officials are buttholes but to act like this stereotype isnt legitimate in cases is just lying to yourself).

fun facts: you cant get a tint ticket at night, an officer cant MAKE you roll up your windows unless you are under arrest, pissing off a cop by using either of these tricks to avoid a ticket will ensure the officer camps outside your house every morning until he gets you, probaly more than once.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Members

Never been bothered for mine, i have 35% my other car has 15% all around never been bothered for that one either
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

i live in middlesex county too. been pulled over 1 time in 2 years. 15% all around. guy that pulled me over even told me he could care less but needed to get me for something. cock sucker
Old 01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

3 warnings no ticket, i think PBA card helped me a bit..
Old 01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Contributors

in seven years I have been pulled over 2 times for it...they are just fixit tickets, so its just a fine and forget about it....I don't regret them at all.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Members

20% all around here and I'm loving it. The blacked out windshield makes it look even better!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

how come 20% all around..????!!?

here in MA Is 35% all around!!

u must have conections..
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

i've had tints on my car since i can remember.
there was on day after a night out i was coming home and got pulled over for tints and got a ticket.
2 towns later, where i live i was pulled over again for tints.
i showed him that i just got a ticket for it and so he let me go.
i rolled up the window and was about to drive off after putting away my insurance and registration bla bla...
I GET PULLED OVER BEFORE I TAKE OFF AGAIN! WTF?!?!
It really depends on the area, and obviously if it's late at night or past midnight, the better the chances of being pulled over.

My advice: get your hands on a pba card/badge or something...

Quick Reply: Fellow NJ folks.. What's your experience with window tints?