E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats up peoples,

I just recently ordered an m-tech kit and am gonna upgrade my exhaust along with it.

I wanted to keep it simple and just do a muffler delete. Any feedback on how that would sound?

ALSO, can anyone tell me where to find some decent priced black tips?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by danny530
Whats up peoples,

I just recently ordered an m-tech kit and am gonna upgrade my exhaust along with it.

I wanted to keep it simple and just do a muffler delete. Any feedback on how that would sound?

Thanks!

Lets see, you have a 530 - and did you say you want to delete the Muffler . . . . hmmmm

Deleting the resonator would be better than deleting the muffler. Use a glass pack instead of the OEM resonator and that should add a little deep tone ( I guess). Deleting the mufler is not a good idea unless u replace it with something else.
For your tips - look at magnaflow.com, ebay , mufflermall.com etc
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by theracerboss
Lets see, you have a 530 - and did you say you want to delete the Muffler . . . . hmmmm

Deleting the resonator would be better than deleting the muffler. Use a glass pack instead of the OEM resonator and that should add a little deep tone ( I guess). Deleting the mufler is not a good idea unless u replace it with something else.
For your tips - look at magnaflow.com, ebay , mufflermall.com etc
Thanks alot man. Yeah i want it too be nice and deep but not obnoxiously loud. Perhaps delete both muffler and resonator and replace with a single magnaflow?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

dont delete the resonator!!! i just did my magnaflow exhaust and resonator delete!!! it is way to loud, i was getting headaches because of the cabin drone. I put back the resonator and the magnaflow alone is deep sound exhaust.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BET530
dont delete the resonator!!! i just did my magnaflow exhaust and resonator delete!!! it is way to loud, i was getting headaches because of the cabin drone. I put back the resonator and the magnaflow alone is deep sound exhaust.
Thats why you delete the resonator and use a glass pack

And thats something he asked for, make it a little more louder
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BET530
yeah thats the only thing, the drone will be the end of me.

Originally Posted by theracerboss
Thats why you delete the resonator and use a glass pack

And thats something he asked for, make it a little more louder
Screw it why not just delete both muffler and resonator and replace with only the glasspack
Old 11-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by danny530
It's called Ceramic Coating.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
It's called Ceramic Coating.
Yes, but wouldn't that entail spending more money?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

What's wrong with the muffler delete? There's enough stuff choking down the exhaust that deleting the muffler won't make that much of a difference. My butt dyno says I lost a little low end but gained a little top end but then again who knows.

As for sound, its not that loud. A little drove at 2-3k but every exhaust does and you get used to it. The only things I don't like about it are: Cold Idle sounds terrible (once its warmed up it gives you a little rumble). High RPM's could be a little louder.

My muffler guy let me cut off the stock muffler and drive around with it for a few days. If I didn't like it, we were going to build a system. I liked it so we welded a tip on. $40 bucks for labor; cheap and easy.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bens1088
What's wrong with the muffler delete? There's enough stuff choking down the exhaust that deleting the muffler won't make that much of a difference. My butt dyno says I lost a little low end but gained a little top end but then again who knows.

As for sound, its not that loud. A little drove at 2-3k but every exhaust does and you get used to it. The only things I don't like about it are: Cold Idle sounds terrible (once its warmed up it gives you a little rumble). High RPM's could be a little louder.

My muffler guy let me cut off the stock muffler and drive around with it for a few days. If I didn't like it, we were going to build a system. I liked it so we welded a tip on. $40 bucks for labor; cheap and easy.
So you dont have any muffler on your car but have the resonator in place . . . . . hmmmm
And you said you are fine with the drone at 2K - 3K I think I could try that setup but the greatest problem is that I dont like the drone. My wife turns and stares at my face when the car drones just a little bit on my current setup.

How I would ideally want the setup to be -- Quiet exhaust below 3K rpm. Once it reaches 3k and above the exhaust gets louder and louder. If I let go of the gas at say 5k rpm the noise should be gone completely.

You guys think this setup is possible on a 530i ?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips?