E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust tailpipe tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok I've just got my car back (530d) from repair after being tailended! One of the items replaced was the rear exhaust box due only to one of the hangars being bent. (personally I would have just straightened it!) The original exhaust, being a diesel the twin pipes pointed down, now the new box fitted has twin straight pipes that are oval and measure roughly 60mm X 50mm. My question relates to the chrome finishers, does anyone know where to get aftermarket ones that'll fit? In the UK that is!
BMW want ?47 plus vat each!!!! Realoem.com list them at $38 round about ?15. There is no way I'm paying over 50quid.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by daven' post='557430' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:09 PM
Ok I've just got my car back (530d) from repair after being tailended! One of the items replaced was the rear exhaust box due only to one of the hangars being bent. (personally I would have just straightened it!) The original exhaust, being a diesel the twin pipes pointed down, now the new box fitted has twin straight pipes that are oval and measure roughly 60mm X 50mm. My question relates to the chrome finishers, does anyone know where to get aftermarket ones that'll fit? In the UK that is!
BMW want ?47 plus vat each!!!! Realoem.com list them at $38 round about ?15. There is no way I'm paying over 50quid.
==============================

I don't know if this will fit or what you want or not, but I own a 04 530i and today just replace my stock muffler with a REMUS with quad chrome tips, I might be interested in selling the BMW 530i Stock OEM muffler and tips, if your interested make me an offer on the entire BMW OEM 530i e60 series muffler set including the chrome tips.

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Daven,

It sounds like they have fitted the later type tailpipe - used for cars with particle filters. I don't know if it will make any difference performance-wise on your car. The later type box has two outlets, but the outside one is actually only a dummy, so you will end up with one black pipe and one clean pipe. If your old exhaust used both pipes, then there will be a serious change in back-pressure that your car may not like. Also, when you give the car a bit of welly, you will find that the big black cloud that follows you will be a lot more noticeable because it is emitted straight out, rather than dispersing on the road first.

Mike
Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Members

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='557889' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:02 AM
Daven,

It sounds like they have fitted the later type tailpipe - used for cars with particle filters. I don't know if it will make any difference performance-wise on your car. The later type box has two outlets, but the outside one is actually only a dummy, so you will end up with one black pipe and one clean pipe. If your old exhaust used both pipes, then there will be a serious change in back-pressure that your car may not like. Also, when you give the car a bit of welly, you will find that the big black cloud that follows you will be a lot more noticeable because it is emitted straight out, rather than dispersing on the road first.

Mike
I've checked the part number as its still got the sticker on and checked that against realoem and it was an option and later part for the diesel. Both pipes on the original exhaust were open as are these, and there is no fancy valve arrangement fitted to the exhaust box.
Actually my diesel runs really clean....at the moment! with nice clean pipes, and stamping on the accelerator (gas pedal for the cousins! ) just produces a faint trail of 'brownish' exhaust.
As its stainless steel I may just leave it!