E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I'm a few days away from having my new exhaust installed. I had done a little looking underneath before and I noticed before that there is some kind of actuator on the muffler (see pic below). It looks to me that it opens up the "second" pipe.
I'm guessing that it must be for emissions or possibly just to keep the car quiet while not under load or WOT.

Question is... Is there a way to keep that "open" all of the time? If so, could that help some of us looking for a little more Sound without spending a G-note on a new exhaust? Will it throw an error code?

BTW, sound & pics coming Thursday night or Friday AM if all goes well.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust question.-dsc09003.jpg  
Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Yes you can keep it open permanently. I had the same flap on my old 330i and this is how I did it.

I pulled of the rubber hose that creates a vacuum to close the valve. I pushed a golfpin in the rubber hose so I wouldn't get a faultmessage from my car. When you do this your flap stays open all the time and your exhaust sound will improve a lot. In my old 330 Ci it was much more throatier then it was before. In the end I decided to reconnect the hose again because the sound was to noisy for me to be acceptable.

Goodluck with trying and dont forget to plug the rubber hose with a golfpin or something!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Contributors

BTW does this affect the performance in any way? Just wondering.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

No it doesn't affect performance in anyway. With WOT the flap opens anyway and now it will stay open always.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:10 AM
JDN
Contributors

I just unhooked, plugged the rubber tube with a golf tee, and took a turn around the block. This may work on a six, but it is not the solution for an eight cylinder.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:21 AM
Contributors

The exhaust isn't louder at low rpm?? This was the case with my old 330 six. Mmmh.. You didn't get any fault messages? That means your golftee works.

Interesting that the exhaustnote isn't louder because that should be the reason for the flap to be there in the first place.

Thanks for trying!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:55 AM
JDN
Contributors

On the quick turn I took, I redlined before shifting. I had the window down, and it could have been a wee bit louder, but not appreciably. Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't wait to give it a try. Well, maybe I can get my kicks from realtyman's camcorder -- coming soon.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Don't forget this is a low rpm thing not high RPM so Redlining will not make any difference with the flap still plugged in..

The sound should be louder between 1000 and 2500 rpm.. Lower and more rumbling.

Did you try it at low rpm in a certain gear (fixed, so M2 or M3 or M4) with full throttle..
Old 09-08-2004, 07:28 AM
JDN
Contributors

It got a pretty good work out at all rpm. I had to tool down the alley at 15 mph for about the first 1000'. Then cruised a block at about 30. Then took off from a light with the pedal bogged to a redline shift. Then let off and dragged the speed down with the weight of the car in gear -- all to no appreciable gain. I think this is different than your 330.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Pitty, it would be great if it would have had some effect.. Ah well... we tried!

Quick Reply: Exhaust question.