E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

exhaust install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i- Titanium Gray

Yeah Frank..I am doing a custom quad set up next week actually! I hope to have pics and everything done within the next 2 weeks or so!

Jake
Old 06-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Anything i can do to dampen the vibration , i can feel it more when i touch the trunk area
Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by navin' post='607034' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:00 PM
Went for a longer drive and i love the sound, figured out where the problem is, when the car is in idle a faint vibration comes up from the seats. I can hear the lic plate frame vibrating when i look close.has anyone experienced this? im thinking it has something to do with the way the hangars are holding the muffler...ideas anyone
up side is the wife loves the sound and cannot sense the vibration
She claims it's the sound She might be driving your car more often

Do you recall how the hangers were installed on the car? That might shed some light on trunk/license plate vibration.
And post some sound clips will ya?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='607285' date='Jun 21 2008, 12:01 PM
She claims it's the sound She might be driving your car more often

Do you recall how the hangers were installed on the car? That might shed some light on trunk/license plate vibration.
And post some sound clips will ya?

One hangar is welded onto the side of the muffler and attached to the stock bracket
and the other is welded on to the piping going into the muffler and attached to the stock bracket.

Was thinking pf wrapping something around the hangar rods to see if that stops the vibration,
something like the stuff they sell at kragen to fix muffler leaks.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by navin' post='607413' date='Jun 21 2008, 07:57 PM
One hangar is welded onto the side of the muffler and attached to the stock bracket
and the other is welded on to the piping going into the muffler and attached to the stock bracket.

Was thinking pf wrapping something around the hangar rods to see if that stops the vibration,
something like the stuff they sell at kragen to fix muffler leaks.
Interesting... I would've expected the stock bracket to dampen the vibration, assuming that there's a rubber piece as part of the bracket. I haven't looked under my car yet, but on my E39 I recall the rubber piece which alleviated the vibration.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Members

Can someone else who has a magnaflow muffler installed chime in here and tell me if the brackets on the stock exhaust was removed
and put(welded) onto the magnaflow and the hangar was attached to this bracket on one side and the stock bracket on the chassis on the other?
Or was the hangar welded directly onto the muffler and attached the stock bracket on the chassis ?
Help please , this vibration is driving me mad
Old 06-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Does anyone know what that is ?
It looks like a vibration damper although i also found a very thin rubber tube hanging above the muffler coming from inside the rear bumper

But i cannot seem to find that part listed on real oem

help please
Old 06-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Could part 11 be the electronic controller for the vale connected to part 12 which is the hose I'm seeing coming from inside the bumper?
In which case that is the valve to push into the secondary muffler under load and not a vibration damper.
Sorry for asking questions and trying to answer them at the same time
Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by navin' post='607755' date='Jun 22 2008, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know what that is ?
It looks like a vibration damper although i also found a very thin rubber tube hanging above the muffler coming from inside the rear bumper

But i cannot seem to find that part listed on real oem

help please
The part you are looking at is called the butterfly valve. Under heavy load, the valve is opened to allow exhaust to exit both stock mufflers.

Regarding your vibration, magnaflow do tend to vibrate more than others because of the low frequency production, but it should not cause vibration as you described. Additionally, make sure the muffler guy did not attach additional hangers onto the chassis of the car without the rubber damper. BTW, it's normal to have hangers welded on to mufflers.

On the other hand, if there is not enough hangers for the new muffler, the vibration will concentrate on the single hanger, and that vibration may lead directly to under your seat.

When I had the dual magnaflow 4" rounds, I had a slight vibration at the steering wheel on idle. If you install additional hangers, make sure to use the OE ones. Some muffler shops tend to use the cheaper flat rubbers that don't isolate vibration very well.

My guess is that if he used additional hangers, it's got cheap rubber dampers. The other case is that he may need an additional hanger.

Does your new muffler/tip vibrate on idle? Have someone (wife) look at the tips from a distance when you reve the engine. If it moves, take it back to the muffler guy.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='608102' date='Jun 22 2008, 10:30 PM
The part you are looking at is called the butterfly valve. Under heavy load, the valve is opened to allow exhaust to exit both stock mufflers.

Regarding your vibration, magnaflow do tend to vibrate more than others because of the low frequency production, but it should not cause vibration as you described. Additionally, make sure the muffler guy did not attach additional hangers onto the chassis of the car without the rubber damper. BTW, it's normal to have hangers welded on to mufflers.

On the other hand, if there is not enough hangers for the new muffler, the vibration will concentrate on the single hanger, and that vibration may lead directly to under your seat.

When I had the dual magnaflow 4" rounds, I had a slight vibration at the steering wheel on idle. If you install additional hangers, make sure to use the OE ones. Some muffler shops tend to use the cheaper flat rubbers that don't isolate vibration very well.

My guess is that if he used additional hangers, it's got cheap rubber dampers. The other case is that he may need an additional hanger.

Does your new muffler/tip vibrate on idle? Have someone (wife) look at the tips from a distance when you reve the engine. If it moves, take it back to the muffler guy.
It does not move when i rev the engine, but the rubber dampers on the hangers are new ones, he left the stock ones on the stock muffler.
So you might be right that the dampers on these are cheap and not actually damping well.
I will take the car to a muffler guy and put the stock dampers on the new hangers.
Thank you for the advice, will let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: exhaust install question