E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Excessive brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='771530' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:05 AM
Don't wait until your pads are worn out if you want to put the Axxis pads on.The OEM BMW rotors can't be turned so if the are worn they need to be replaced. GL
+1 The day you change your pads you will kick yourself for not replacing them earlier.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='771590' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:53 PM
+1 The day you change your pads you will kick yourself for not replacing them earlier.
Other than the dust issue, are there any performance differences between the OEM and Axxis pads? Is there any impact on the BMW warranty?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Contributors

I need to get these myself I hate cleaning my wheels twice a week.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='771614' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:42 AM
Other than the dust issue, are there any performance differences between the OEM and Axxis pads? Is there any impact on the BMW warranty?
No issues, I had my dealer install the pads on my car when it rolled out of the showroom (so did Westcoast 550)....that's right remove the factory pads and throw them out - brake job at 0 miles. Well worth it. No difference in performance, no warranty issues, just no dust. I have them on my X3 too and lots of guys on this forum run them. You won't regret it.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 AM
Members

White wheels are KILLIN ME!!! I'll be gettin a set as well in the spring when I'm back on the road.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Great Thread.
Question for people that are using these Axxis pads.
What kind of initial feedback/bite do these pads give?
Do they work well when they are cold? Or only once they warm up?
My concern is that most after-market pads with low brake dust feature don't work well when cold or initial bite/feedback is poor. This is where the factory pads shine. They are great in all different temps and working condition except maybe all out track session. I have moved back to factory pads on other vehicles because of this and was wondering if the same holds true for Axxis pads as well.
Thanks for your responses.
Regards.
Raj
Old 01-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='772463' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:38 AM
Great Thread.
My concern is that most after-market pads with low brake dust feature don't work well when cold or initial bite/feedback is poor. This is where the factory pads shine. They are great in all different temps and working condition except maybe all out track session. I have moved back to factory pads on other vehicles because of this and was wondering if the same holds true for Axxis pads as well.
Regards.
Raj

IMO, the axxis pads had more bite right after install. I noticed less bite after installing my 19" wheels with the OEM pads. Much improved after the axxis pads. Note: I did take the time to bed my pads initially...

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

^it's important to do that (and fun )
Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='772463' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:38 AM
Great Thread.
Regards.
Raj
I can't tell any difference, I had OEM pads on my 07 and converted directly to Axxis on my 08.................same performance - NO DUST !!!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530Xi

I want to upgrade my brake rotors and pads. What is the best configuration? I understood that there is some "matches" with pads & rotors.
Look: http://pic.datenloesung.de/sbk.jpg
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Members

I just bought my wife a CPO 06 550i and the brake dust is killing me. I thought the brake dust from my Z06 was bad, but that's nothing compared to this car! I've got the 100,000 mile warranty with the car and I kicked up the bucks for the extended maintenance work. My concern is if I change out the brake pads, will the dealer tell me when I need a brake job that since my pads are not OEM, they will not perform the brake work under the maintenance program I paid for?

Quick Reply: Excessive brake dust