E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Europe only I guess - Diesel Tuning ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Westyfield2' post='737780' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:56 PM
I'd also heard somewhere that the new 2.0D 177 can't be remapped and can only be chipped (something to do with the ECU being a new locked down type) ......... but also I guess a chip/box would be a lot easier to remove for servicing/warranty work.....

That was the case when they 1st came out but they can be remapped now
Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Originally Posted by paulmc' post='737719' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:28 PM
Hmmm, not really. I reputable remap should be miles better than a reputable box. Unless the box can pick up RPM, load and AIR flow and adjust accordingly they are pretty basic crude devices.

A remap can increased just about anything you want. Boost, Fuel pressure, injection timing, injection amount, load etc etc.

The remap can take the torque in slowly to save the gearbox, limit torque, adjust boost for a flatter power curve. The remap options are endless where as the box will only increae fuel pressure or depending on the type of box it can increase injection duration but they are really expensive.

For it is a remap 100% all the way. I only put this box on for a bit of fun until I get my remap.

I will see if I can rolling road my box before I take it off. It will be interesting to see what it does

Im gonna do some more digging on this, thanks for the reply so far.

I know a Remapper, and I am quite friendly with one of the leading tuning box owners, im gonna throw a bunch of these questions at them both and see what they have to say
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Contributors

its as paul says rearly mark.
there is no comparison between the two, the box does not (and cannot) compensate for worn or (the flow) of air/fuel and/or pressure
the ecu re-map does.
jason took 5 hours mapping my car (502 lbs/ft torque) more than a M5
it is safe it does not over fuel excessivly (does a bit obviously)

it takes 10 miniutes to install a box (work it out for yourself)
and it does not get wiped out if you have updates from BMW only if they went into the engine management software.(no need to do that)
i have had 4 retro fits that needed software updates and nothing has touched the engine re map.
the ecu re map consisted of fine tuning...check car/drive...fine tune...check car/drive and so on untill it was performing properly (on petrol engines) det cans are used to watch for engine detonation (main killer of box/re mapping engine damage)

i have 2 E60's a 530d with a re-map (ecu out)
and a 535d twin turbo with re-map (ecu out)
i would not consider a tuning box.
go to santa pod and see jasons BMW X5 that is proof enough for the mans tuning skills (would'nt get that from superchips )

but good luck to anybody that has one, its horses for courses.