E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Eibach Pro-Kit Install - 2008 550i with sport pkg

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by TX-T.Silver' post='791185' date='Feb 12 2009, 06:46 AM
What is the downside of only changing the springs and not shocks/struts (ie, doing a whole suspension change).

I know it is less expensive at least short term to only change springs and do alignment. What does this do to the stock shocks which have been manufactured/calibrated for the stock springs and set to ride at a certain stiffness, height.

Will this lead to premature wearing out of the shocks, or put all the weight bearing and load on the springs (since the car has been lowered) and thus the shocks are less extended (if that the correct way to say it) compared to the stock OEM springs.
stock shocks will wear out quicker whether sport or non-sport. personally I had only eibach pro-kit springs on my non-sport, put them on at around 25k miles and I was good until 45k miles when the ride started getting bouncy. from there I went with bilstein sports to complement the springs. it will depend what condition the stock shocks are in when you put on the springs, but most would recommend going with springs and shocks from the get-go. as for price, there is no additional charge with us if installing shocks with springs and getting alignment at the same time compared to installing only springs and alignment
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='791326' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:27 AM
stock shocks will wear out quicker whether sport or non-sport. personally I had only eibach pro-kit springs on my non-sport, put them on at around 25k miles and I was good until 45k miles when the ride started getting bouncy. from there I went with bilstein sports to complement the springs. it will depend what condition the stock shocks are in when you put on the springs, but most would recommend going with springs and shocks from the get-go. as for price, there is no additional charge with us if installing shocks with springs and getting alignment at the same time compared to installing only springs and alignment

Thanks. I only have 7500 miles on my car and I only put about 8K miles a year on my car. If I just went with springs, my stock shocks would probably last longer than my ownership of the car then.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='791326' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:27 AM
but how about just coilovers with stock springs?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='791326' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:27 AM

I have the sport package and the car is new, less than 1k miles.
Seems to make sense to run the stock shocks like you did.