E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Eibach lowering on non-SP E60

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='392712' date='Feb 17 2007, 05:57 PM
If you're interested in OEM springs I'm sure you can pick them up from one of the MANY e60 members here who have switched to Eibach or H&K. I vaguely remember seeing another thread where MikeBuzzsaw said he'd sell his (springs...NOT shocks).

That brings up another question. How much lower would the car be with sport suspension opposed to non-sport (both OEM)?
It was the entire kit, shocks and springs. I sold them already and I don't think they fit 530.

Replacing springs will effect your ride quality. My suggestion is to go to your dealer and drive a 5 series in sport. Eibach springs are the closest thing to sport regarding comfort.

HR springs are more stiffer and more aggressive.

Coilovers you'll hate. I'm a young guy and I like the way they feel...
Old 02-17-2007, 05:48 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='392721' date='Feb 17 2007, 09:12 PM
Coilovers you'll hate. I'm a young guy and I like the way they feel...
I'm about to turn 46 and think the OE sport package is too soft. However, I will admit that I'm a worried that I'm getting too old to live with H&R coilovers on a daily basis -- so will probably just stick to the Eibach springs!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sparky12' post='392693' date='Feb 18 2007, 01:14 AM
Car looks awesome! I personally like the looks even before you lowered it - probably because I'm an old man of 36. I've basically decided against lowering my ride unless I can get the OEM sports suspension springs/shocks but that's looking to be around $1,500 BEFORE installation so it's doubtful that will happen either.

BTW, how do you think the ride has changed since you put those springs on? Also, did you replace the shocks too - and with what?
I did not get shocks. The oem sports suspension would have been ideal but way to much. The ride is still good. I can't speed like I did in Germany anyway so it works out well. The roads are bad here in Shreveport.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='392731' date='Feb 17 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm about to turn 46 and think the OE sport package is too soft. However, I will admit that I'm a worried that I'm getting too old to live with H&R coilovers on a daily basis -- so will probably just stick to the Eibach springs!
I really do think people who feel coilovers are too stiff blow it out of proportion. Some people are more sensitive than others. My advice is just ride in one and see.

You do feel the bumps of the road but it is no where near as rough/stiff as 330i sport.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by jersey-kid' post='392629' date='Feb 17 2007, 11:46 AM
Check out the Eibach on a non-sport. Before and after Thanks Chase. If you are in the Dallas area stop by STETT's shop they do great work.
before
Attachment 28770
Attachment 28775

After
Attachment 28771
Attachment 28772
Attachment 28773
Attachment 28774
looks good man.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:39 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='392751' date='Feb 17 2007, 11:25 PM
I really do think people who feel coilovers are too stiff blow it out of proportion. Some people are more sensitive than others. My advice is just ride in one and see.

You do feel the bumps of the road but it is no where near as rough/stiff as 330i sport.
Problem with being in Detroit is that I doubt there is a single E60 with coilovers in the area! I know there is a guy in the BMW club with H&R Sport springs, but BMW's aren't that common around here and modded E60's are almost unheard of.

I really appreciate your comment comparing to a 330i sport -- I know what that feels like (and it is certainly not too stiff for my tastes).
Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Wow that looks great man props on the new mod can't wait to get my springs put in
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jersey-kid' post='392629' date='Feb 17 2007, 01:46 PM
Check out the Eibach on a non-sport. Before and after Thanks Chase. If you are in the Dallas area stop by STETT's shop they do great work.
before
Attachment 28770
Attachment 28775

After
Attachment 28771
Attachment 28772
Attachment 28773
Attachment 28774

man, where'd you get that ugly thing E?

Glad you like the ride, it looks much better w/ the lowering.

here is my take on all this... springs are goign to lower it and make a bit stiffer ride, won't take bumps as smoothly. It absolutely WILL wear out your shocks quicker than stock, there is no question on this. However, it does take a long time for them to wear out (year to 2 years depending on mileage), it just accelerates the regular wear. This does not mean that springs are not a good option. If you upgrade to coils, as was said before, you are going to have a significantly stiffer ride. If you roll on 20s or 19s or bigger you are going to have to be ESPECIALLY careful on the roads. The stiffness of a coilover coupled w/ low profile tires on a stiff rim is going to either screw up your shock mounts, your wheels, or some other part of your suspension/wheel setup if you hit a pot hole hard enough. This is not for sure going to happen and it is not a flaw in the design of the coilovers, it's just reality that you have less dampening and cushion, just like race car cannot hit curbs or pot holes without ruining the suspension.

I have not driven on coilovers on an E60 and I imagine that some of the dampening adjustable systems have a fairly soft ride at the softest setting, but still considerably stiffer than stock.

I am going to install some H&R Race springs on my sport package and see how it goes. I may change to coils at a later date, as I already have to be insanely careful w/ the rims I have on right now.

Another good option for changing the springs out is to upgrade your shocks at the same time with a set of koni's or bilstein sport shocks. This will take care of the accelerated wear on the shocks from the lowered stance and you should have a little softer ride than the softest setting on a coil system.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Chase at Stett' post='393546' date='Feb 20 2007, 11:30 AM
man, where'd you get that ugly thing E?

Glad you like the ride, it looks much better w/ the lowering.
here is my take on all this... springs are goign to lower it and make a bit stiffer ride, won't take bumps as smoothly. It absolutely WILL wear out your shocks quicker than stock, there is no question on this. However, it does take a long time for them to wear out (year to 2 years depending on mileage), it just accelerates the regular wear. This does not mean that springs are not a good option. If you upgrade to coils, as was said before, you are going to have a significantly stiffer ride. If you roll on 20s or 19s or bigger you are going to have to be ESPECIALLY careful on the roads. The stiffness of a coilover coupled w/ low profile tires on a stiff rim is going to either screw up your shock mounts, your wheels, or some other part of your suspension/wheel setup if you hit a pot hole hard enough. This is not for sure going to happen and it is not a flaw in the design of the coilovers, it's just reality that you have less dampening and cushion, just like race car cannot hit curbs or pot holes without ruining the suspension.

I have not driven on coilovers on an E60 and I imagine that some of the dampening adjustable systems have a fairly soft ride at the softest setting, but still considerably stiffer than stock.

I am going to install some H&R Race springs on my sport package and see how it goes. I may change to coils at a later date, as I already have to be insanely careful w/ the rims I have on right now.

Another good option for changing the springs out is to upgrade your shocks at the same time with a set of koni's or bilstein sport shocks. This will take care of the accelerated wear on the shocks from the lowered stance and you should have a little softer ride than the softest setting on a coil system.
Coilovers aren't as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to be in one.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Members

I spent about a half an hour talking with the parts guy at one of the BMW shops here in town hoping that I could get an idea of the cost to retro my non-SP car with the springs and shocks/struts of the cars with SP. He was very cool and didn't seem to mind the extra work but we had to come up with a VIN off an SP-equipped car. Simple enough, went out to the lot and found a used one. I had to leave and told him I would call back to get the specifics. When I talked to him, he said he talked to one of the master techs who frowned upon a retrofit because there were "way too many possibilities" for the setup. He offered to get me a Dinan suspension setup instead that, he said, would only lower the car by .75".

Two questions:

1) Should I just give up on trying to retro the SP springs? In theory, it doesn't sound too difficult - buy the springs, get a set of Koni FSDs and get them installed. That's basically what happens when you buy an Eibach kit, right?

2) I'm not familiar with a Dinan kit that lowers .75" My initial response was that was for cars already equipped with SP but I didn't want to argue with the guy over the phone when he hadn't even quoted me pricing yet.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Eibach lowering on non-SP E60