E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Eibach lowering on non-SP E60

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I still haven't been able to figure out the answer to my suspension questions but here's another one that I hope someone can answer. In reading all the posts about people lowering their cars, it seems the Eibach kit lowers it 1.2" front and rear. What I can't figure out is that these posts read like the final lowered height on a non-SP car versus a car with SP is different. Maybe I'm just not getting it but it would seem that replacing springs on either car would result in the same final height - unless there is some inherent difference in the suspensions. Does that make sense or am I missing something (very likely )?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sparky12' post='391971' date='Feb 15 2007, 12:31 PM
Okay, I still haven't been able to figure out the answer to my suspension questions but here's another one that I hope someone can answer. In reading all the posts about people lowering their cars, it seems the Eibach kit lowers it 1.2" front and rear. What I can't figure out is that these posts read like the final lowered height on a non-SP car versus a car with SP is different. Maybe I'm just not getting it but it would seem that replacing springs on either car would result in the same final height - unless there is some inherent difference in the suspensions. Does that make sense or am I missing something (very likely )?
The final height of a eibach lowered non sport and sport are the same. The eibach website states that the kit lowers NON sport e60 1.2 inches all around. Sport's are already lower than non sport by .7 inches. As a result, the springs roughly lower it just .5 inches.

The other options that are popular are the H&R Sport springs which is 1.3 up front and 1.2 in the rear. The spring rides a tad more aggressive and stiffer.

Or you can abandon springs and just go for coilovers. Adjustable height to whatever you want.

IMO, it's safer to go with coilovers if you have the money. The BMW shocks and struts weren't built to handle the lower stance/springs of our hippo heavy car. In the long run, the shocks will fail. Again, this hasn't been proven, but logically it makes sense.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:08 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='392022' date='Feb 15 2007, 05:06 PM
The final height of a eibach lowered non sport and sport are the same. The eibach website states that the kit lowers NON sport e60 1.2 inches all around. Sport's are already lower than non sport by .7 inches. As a result, the springs roughly lower it just .5 inches.

The other options that are popular are the H&R Sport springs which is 1.3 up front and 1.2 in the rear. The spring rides a tad more aggressive and stiffer.
Or you can abandon springs and just go for coilovers. Adjustable height to whatever you want.
IMO, it's safer to go with coilovers if you have the money. The BMW shocks and struts weren't built to handle the lower stance/springs of our hippo heavy car. In the long run, the shocks will fail. Again, this hasn't been proven, but logically it makes sense.
I agree with Mike's answer on height -- and probably on shock life as well. I have a set of Eibach's ready to install but still trying to decide if I want to upgrade the shocks at the same time or just go for coil overs. (waiting for Spring to do anything -- I was plowing fresh snow down I-75 yesterday morning, so no hurry to lower till winter is over)

Mike - I don't think you have had the H&R coil overs for long, but it sounds like you are happy with them. MI roads are nothing like SoCal so I'm worried about the pot holes. How do they handle larger bumbs at speed? I'm probably going with either 167's or 166's and Generals for my summer set up.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='392071' date='Feb 15 2007, 07:08 PM
I agree with Mike's answer on height -- and probably on shock life as well. I have a set of Eibach's ready to install but still trying to decide if I want to upgrade the shocks at the same time or just go for coil overs. (waiting for Spring to do anything -- I was plowing fresh snow down I-75 yesterday morning, so no hurry to lower till winter is over)

Mike - I don't think you have had the H&R coil overs for long, but it sounds like you are happy with them. MI roads are nothing like SoCal so I'm worried about the pot holes. How do they handle larger bumbs at speed? I'm probably going with either 167's or 166's and Generals for my summer set up.
The ride is stiffer.I feel the road a lot more. Not as much as my old 330i sport, but more than my original sport on my 5. It is not a cushiony ride like a lexus, I'll say that much. Thats a given but they are settling. My car is very nimble around corners.

I drive slow over bumps but it shouldn't be a concern unless you have a lip in the front. My car is lowered so much u cant stick ur finger in the wheel well between the tires. No scrapping problems at all with my stock oem bumpers.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Members

I just had the Eibach pro-kit put on a non-sport. Thanks Chase and STETT To me it makes it look like a sport pakage. I'll post a pic after I wash it. I like the look not too low.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Members

Check out the Eibach on a non-sport. Before and after Thanks Chase. If you are in the Dallas area stop by STETT's shop they do great work.
before
Eibach lowering on non-SP E60-dscf0369.jpg
Eibach lowering on non-SP E60-dscf0368.jpg

After
Eibach lowering on non-SP E60-eibach_lower__3_.jpg
Eibach lowering on non-SP E60-eibach_lower.jpg
Eibach lowering on non-SP E60-eibach_lower__4_.jpg
Eibach lowering on non-SP E60-eibach_lower__1_.jpg
Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Members

Car looks awesome! I personally like the looks even before you lowered it - probably because I'm an old man of 36. I've basically decided against lowering my ride unless I can get the OEM sports suspension springs/shocks but that's looking to be around $1,500 BEFORE installation so it's doubtful that will happen either.

BTW, how do you think the ride has changed since you put those springs on? Also, did you replace the shocks too - and with what?
Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

sparky I think you can get coilovers for the price of stock sport suspension.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by sparky12' post='392693' date='Feb 17 2007, 06:14 PM
Car looks awesome! I personally like the looks even before you lowered it - probably because I'm an old man of 36. I've basically decided against lowering my ride unless I can get the OEM sports suspension springs/shocks but that's looking to be around $1,500 BEFORE installation so it's doubtful that will happen either.

BTW, how do you think the ride has changed since you put those springs on? Also, did you replace the shocks too - and with what?

If you're interested in OEM springs I'm sure you can pick them up from one of the MANY e60 members here who have switched to Eibach or H&K. I vaguely remember seeing another thread where MikeBuzzsaw said he'd sell his (springs...NOT shocks).

That brings up another question. How much lower would the car be with sport suspension opposed to non-sport (both OEM)?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='392712' date='Feb 17 2007, 08:57 PM
If you're interested in OEM springs I'm sure you can pick them up from one of the MANY e60 members here who have switched to Eibach or H&K. I vaguely remember seeing another thread where MikeBuzzsaw said he'd sell his (springs...NOT shocks).

That brings up another question. How much lower would the car be with sport suspension opposed to non-sport (both OEM)?
I think someone mentioned the SP lowered the car .7" versus the non SP. My aim is really not to destroy the fabulous ride quality with aftermarket springs or coilovers but I may be splitting hairs going back and forth with this dilemma...who knows.

Quick Reply: Eibach lowering on non-SP E60