E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Easiest mods for E60?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i SMG

Want to make improvements. Any easy mods?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i As loaded as it can come...hud, cw package, f/r heated seats, 20 inch oem style 32 (deep dish),conv package, etc. etc..... Mods: smoked side markers, black painted calipers Coming soon:angel eyes, smoked tails, tint, rear tvs, ipod

Most mods are easy except anything with the engine or exhaust..
I sprayed my tails and side markers with black translucent paint..
sprayed my calipers black with high temp paint..
installed my sub and amp (see post)
getting ready to tint windows and do angel eyes and led license plate lights..all that can be replaced by doing it yourself..
going to do the trunk spoiler..getting it from ebay already painted and ready to stick on with 3m tape...yes 3m tape...
I get most of my stuff from ebay and haven't had any problems..(knock wood)..
hope this helps...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i SMG

Originally Posted by Gravedigga
Most mods are easy except anything with the engine or exhaust..
I sprayed my tails and side markers with black translucent paint..
sprayed my calipers black with high temp paint..
installed my sub and amp (see post)
getting ready to tint windows and do angel eyes and led license plate lights..all that can be replaced by doing it yourself..
going to do the trunk spoiler..getting it from ebay already painted and ready to stick on with 3m tape...yes 3m tape...
I get most of my stuff from ebay and haven't had any problems..(knock wood)..
hope this helps...

Thanks!!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple of freebies:

- charcoal filter delete
- debadge
Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

What E60 do you have? What do you want to achieve with your mods? Sound, looks, performance?

I'd say the number one easy mod for me is the AIR FILTER. And while you're at it, you should get an RPI scoop and install that. Since you'll be pulling back the front bumper cover anyhow, might as well replace or repaint your original grilles. There are loads of DIYs on painting the grilles. The main thing is prep - get different roughness sand paper and sand the bezels extremely well. Spray paint and make sure to dry properly. Since you'll be painting, might as well paint your exhaust tips (same process pretty much as the grilles, but paint MUST be heat-proof). Also, if you do not yet have shadowline side-window trip, you can add that to this DIY.

Next, you may want to look into adding an iPhone/iPod/USB input for your stereo. It seems hard at first, but it's a great add-on (especially, if your E60 doesn't have the capability to play MP3 out of the box). Since that's going to require some coding, you might as well code all the options that the car has, which are not necessarily activated from factory (do some searching around the forums and you'll find lots of info on this).

The ONLY mod that's really worth doing, if you're going to get into modding at all though - wheels/suspension/stance. The easiest way to address the stance is to get some spacers. Installing them is a breeze and I would strongly recommed Turner Motorsports spacers, with the extended bolts. Reason I'm recommending Turner (aka TMS) spacers is because they are the only ones I know to have special tabs that help dismounting the spacers when you need to, which is no small thing, because otherwise dismounting a spacer may be extremely tough and hazardous to the wheel hub and whoever is working on it.

Roof spoiler is pretty easy, if you're into that kind of thing. But you can get pre-painted so all you'll need is a garage and some determination, basically.

geez.. what else... tints? If you are careful and have a steady hand, you could pull this off pretty easily. I don't know... think about where you want to go with your modding
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Members

kidney grills--fast, easy, relatively cheap. Matte black, gloss black, hybrid (you can change out the slats and frames--I have th ematte black frame with the OEM chrome slats).
Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badge delete was the first mod I did, the rear looks so much cleaner without the numbers.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by mwolfe
kidney grills--fast, easy, relatively cheap. Matte black, gloss black, hybrid (you can change out the slats and frames--I have th ematte black frame with the OEM chrome slats).
Do U Have a Link to where i Can Find OEM Gloss Black Grilles, or would it b better to jus Paint?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyMan
Do U Have a Link to where i Can Find OEM Gloss Black Grilles, or would it b better to jus Paint?
https://5series.net/forums/topic/119...9#entry1402789
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 AM
New Members

Thnx i will check it Out

Quick Reply: Easiest mods for E60?