E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Earthquake SWS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='803402' date='Feb 27 2009, 05:03 PM
I bought a set of MB Quart RUA-210's for the rears, should be a straight drop in replacement. As for the front, I havent decided if I want to mess with those or not...i figure since I have the extra POS factory amp, I might as well replace the rear deck speakers and use that amp to power. It seems like a simple task, compared to running wires throughtout the car and adding a 4 channel amp to power the fronts.

we'll see how it all works out....but I bought the MB Quarts online for like $100...so its not really an expensive mod since I am using the factory amp.

and I dont have L7 just the standard system
thanks for the reply. I added more to my note above after I posted it. Curious on the sizes of the factory speakers.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA' post='803410' date='Feb 27 2009, 03:06 PM
thanks for the reply. I added more to my note above after I posted it. Curious on the sizes of the factory speakers.
Yeah those speakers (picture above) probably will fit in the rear deck, however you'll have to remove them from the bracket. I had originally bought some AutoBahn 4" components for the rear deck and the woofer space was so tight that the extra width around the speaker would not fit without me having to grind the speaker down some. I didnt want to have to do a lot of modification to make them work so I just decided to buy the MBs. But by looking at your speakers it should fit the rear deck once removed from the brackets.

As for your amp, it looks like it has speaker line inputs instead of RCA, so thats good you wont have to use a line converter like I did.

The main thing will be to figure out what your power handling and frequency response is from your ADS speakers and if they exceed what you have in your car now, you'll be better off replacing them, if not stick with the factory set up.

Factory speaker sizes are 4" with 42mm tweeters. The only problem is not every 4" set up will fit perfectly w/o some mods, which I found out the hard way...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by mag75' post='803409' date='Feb 27 2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the update. Wish I had at least 1 working....haha.
Question - what does "bench test" mean ?

And yeah, Abraham sounds right. "Dropping the sub" --hmmm I call bullsh.....

By the way, nice pics. Its going to look good. Let us know how that 1 sub sounds....
Sorry what he meant by bench test is, before I pulled my seats out and all that jazz, just hook up one speaker at a time to the amp in the trunk or a home stereo and listen to how it sounds. Sure enough 1 sounded with clean bass while the other one made a rattling sound.

As for how one sounds, I think Ill wait until I get the new one before I take out the seats. Gonna have to rely on the factory subs for now...however with the Punch Amp the system already sounds somewhat better. Definitely more BASS!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

A hard knock to these subs during transit will cause them to drop, it happened to me too. But I got a replacement.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='803432' date='Feb 27 2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah those speakers (picture above) probably will fit in the rear deck, however you'll have to remove them from the bracket. I had originally bought some AutoBahn 4" components for the rear deck and the woofer space was so tight that the extra width around the speaker would not fit without me having to grind the speaker down some. I didnt want to have to do a lot of modification to make them work so I just decided to buy the MBs. But by looking at your speakers it should fit the rear deck once removed from the brackets.

As for your amp, it looks like it has speaker line inputs instead of RCA, so thats good you wont have to use a line converter like I did.

The main thing will be to figure out what your power handling and frequency response is from your ADS speakers and if they exceed what you have in your car now, you'll be better off replacing them, if not stick with the factory set up.

Factory speaker sizes are 4" with 42mm tweeters. The only problem is not every 4" set up will fit perfectly w/o some mods, which I found out the hard way...
These ADS speakers would vastly improve from the stock speakers. but the front components speakers have 5.25" midbasses...so too big for the doors it sounds like.

The 300i rears I dont think remove from the 'brackets'...it is a solid front baffle. It would be fun to snake all the wires around. Not sure what I would do with the center.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Members

Both the doors and rear deck are 4" mids with basically 1" or 25MM tweeters. The mids have only three mounting points so the standard aftermarket 4" is not a straight drop in replacement but they will work without much trouble. I have a set of MB Quart PSDs that are going in my doors, I'm leaving the rear deck stock for now.

As far as my SWS-8s, they were scheduled to deliver today BUT they were shipped with signature upon delivery and I wasn't home, so I have to wait until Monday now..... UUUHHHGGG.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

Hey guys...just to chime in on this as well....

I've had a similar issue with Earthquake. I ordered two earthquakes off of ebay and one of them was damaged upon arrival. I sent it back to my ebay seller who claimed to send it back to earthquake. I was told that it would either be 'repaired' or 'replaced'. After about a month of waiting I was informed it had been 'repaired'. It came back and it looks like they took a bunch of glue and slapped it on there. The catch is...the glue had nothing to do with where it was damaged. So I'm not sure if I got the same sub back or a completely different one or what...

Here's a pic...
Earthquake SWS-subwoofer_pics_004.jpg

I haven't tested either one yet but I plan to do so this weekend. Good luck to everybody messing with Earthquake right now...
Old 02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

It is amazing how many people are having problems with this sub. I talked to my local shop and they have never even heard of earthquake and say that the sub is very poorly made. Anyhow, when they were working for the month I had them, they sounded good.

If I cant get earthquake to fix them, I might just throw a JL W6 in the trunk and call it a day.....only thing is that I wanted to keep it looking stock...we'll see
Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

Well I finally received my Earthquakes today. Both are black cone, not silver as shown in the pictures from the vendor that I purchased them from. And sure enough, one of them is locked up. The cone will not budge in either direction. The other sub seems to move freely. I guess I'll be contacting the seller, and see what they will do. I may link them to this thread so they can see this is becoming a major problem with this product. Maybe we should link an Earthquake tech to this thread too!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tom281' post='806300' date='Mar 3 2009, 12:34 PM
Well I finally received my Earthquakes today. Both are black cone, not silver as shown in the pictures from the vendor that I purchased them from. And sure enough, one of them is locked up. The cone will not budge in either direction. The other sub seems to move freely. I guess I'll be contacting the seller, and see what they will do. I may link them to this thread so they can see this is becoming a major problem with this product. Maybe we should link an Earthquake tech to this thread too!

Yes I agree. This is freaking unbelievable. They should recall all of these subs, either that or change the way they package them.

Quick Reply: Earthquake SWS