E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Earthquake SWS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='802553' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:13 PM
Mag.....

So I got home and inspected both subs...well one of them is not moving freely....its sticking, so I am assuming there is an issue. I am contacting my seller to see if they will send me another sub. Id be willing to be Earthquake is turning out a new batch and there's something wrong with them.

Stay tuned
NO WAY!!!! Unbelievable. I have the same issue but with both subs. How can a sound company produce such a shady product. I am guessing they are using some kind of glue that dries a lot harder after sitting for some time.

Between you and me, we should contact earthquake and make complaints. They should do a recall of some kind.

Welcome to my frustration.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by mag75' post='802951' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:19 AM
NO WAY!!!! Unbelievable. I have the same issue but with both subs. How can a sound company produce such a shady product. I am guessing they are using some kind of glue that dries a lot harder after sitting for some time.

Between you and me, we should contact earthquake and make complaints. They should do a recall of some kind.

Will do...Ill call Earthquake and report back in as I havent sent heard back from my EBay vendor yet and maybe Earthquake will just do a direct swap. Ill keep you posted
Old 02-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='803218' date='Feb 27 2009, 02:26 PM
Will do...Ill call Earthquake and report back in as I havent sent heard back from my EBay vendor yet and maybe Earthquake will just do a direct swap. Ill keep you posted
Where do you put the amp and how difficult is it to get the power to it?

details details! thx.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i,Titanium silver,cold weather package

Originally Posted by mag75' post='802345' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:50 PM
Ok, so here is my story. For those of you not familiar with the Earthquake SWS', these are aftermarket subs that fit directly in the stock location of the stock subs (under each front seat).

So during Christmas, I purchased these subs and had them installed at a local shop. You have to run a different amp to the subs to provide sufficient power. My first impression - great, the subs hit pretty good but weren?t overbearing, just enough if you don?t want your ears to hurt. So, I was happy for about 1 month, then all sudden....nothing, subs went out. WTF. So I then take my car to another local shop that specializes in higher end cars and has more experience. They tell me the subs were blown (found this odd because I never cranked up the gain or volume). So, I order another pair because the shop told me that the wiring was all jacked up and the amp was a POS so that might have caused the subs to blow. (they came to this conclusion because I then told them to just hook up my stock subs to the amp....they did, and then THEY blew !, so it must be the amp (oh, which happens to be made from earthquake))

So I get my "new" subs yesterday. Take it to the same shop and they tell me BOTH subs are "stuck". The cone won?t go up or down and doesn?t move freely. They say it is possible too much glue was applied and therefore the magnet is messed up..........so I am back to square one.....basically, Earthquake is pissing me off with this BS quality. I have to send the subs in and then wait for them to diagnose the problem.

Hopefully those that already have these subs have different opinions.
I was reading about your iconvience,had question.Do think a 10" shallow sub would fit also,or should I just go with 8"subs.Next Tag.com has a 10" kenwood brand @ $90,and 10" rockford fosgate brand @ $119. Could you PM on what you think.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA' post='803291' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:48 PM
Where do you put the amp and how difficult is it to get the power to it?

details details! thx.
Power is really easy AND stealth...since the battery is already in the trunk its as simple as taking out the trunk interior panels and running the wire to the battery around. See attached pictures...I am documenting my install mostly following Bruce's write up...and I am only halfway done as I am planning on using the factory amp to power my rear deck MB Quarts...but Ill post the entire write up in another posting, as I am not expecting my MB Quarts and new SWS-8 until next week so I am just running the aftermarket amp for now.

My main power wire is the purple wire, and bear in mind the panels are still off, but once done you wont even see any mods!

I am catching my AMP remote wire off the trunk cigarette lighter since the factory amp remote wire doesnt shut off til the car sleeps, I dont want to create any battery drain.

The 1st picture is the finished AMP product once I close it up. So far so good!
Attached Thumbnails Earthquake SWS-stereo_upgrade_001.jpg   Earthquake SWS-stereo_upgrade_002.jpg   Earthquake SWS-stereo_upgrade_005.jpg   Earthquake SWS-stereo_upgrade_023.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mos12osut' post='803315' date='Feb 27 2009, 02:09 PM
I was reading about your iconvience,had question.Do think a 10" shallow sub would fit also,or should I just go with 8"subs.Next Tag.com has a 10" kenwood brand @ $90,and 10" rockford fosgate brand @ $119. Could you PM on what you think.
One of my SWS-8's doesnt work, so I havent taken the seats out yet, but from what I've learned so far on this website...the only speakers that will fit under the seats with no Modification are the SWS-8's. I think Pioneer also makes a shallow 8" sub, but even that speaker from what I understand is not a drop in. So I doubt you could get a 10" under the seats shallow or not.

Good luck and there are plenty of stereo mod DYI's on here, but this seems to be the best way to upgrade with little changing of factory set up
Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Members

very nice!! What Mb Quarts are you using for the rears? Are you replacing the fronts? And do you have L7?

I installed a complete ADS system in my 1991 Trans Am GTA YEARS ago. In fact.......now that I think of it....i still have that 6x50 amp!! It is bridgable to 3x100 too if I want. I have a set of ADS 300i speakers and 320i speakers (components). hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

what size are the rear deck speakers and what size are the front door speakers?

These are the 300i speakers (mine dont look like crap like these do)

this is the amp.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mag75' post='802951' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:19 AM

Mag,

I spoke with Abraham at Earthquake, its seems maybe you spoke with him as well. He has advised me to bench test the subs before putting them in, and low an behold the sticking sub was broken. He told me the subs with the black cone are actually the newer subs over the white cone. He says that more then likely the sub was dropped during shipping or by the vendor or what not and that he hadn't hear of any large number of complaints at this time.

I heard back from my Ebay seller who advised me to try the unit first, if it didnt work they would take care of getting me a new one. So I am waiting to get my return authorization now.

The other sub sounds great, cant wait to get them installed. I hope your having good luck getting replacements as well.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA' post='803394' date='Feb 27 2009, 02:59 PM
very nice!! What Mb Quarts are you using for the rears? Are you replacing the fronts? And do you have L7?

I installed a complete ADS system in my 1991 Trans Am GTA YEARS ago. In fact.......now that I think of it....i still have that 6x50 amp!! It is bridgable to 3x100 too if I want. I have a set of ADS 300i speakers and 320i speakers (components). hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I bought a set of MB Quart RUA-210's for the rears, should be a straight drop in replacement. As for the front, I havent decided if I want to mess with those or not...i figure since I have the extra POS factory amp, I might as well replace the rear deck speakers and use that amp to power. It seems like a simple task, compared to running wires throughtout the car and adding a 4 channel amp to power the fronts.

we'll see how it all works out....but I bought the MB Quarts online for like $100...so its not really an expensive mod since I am using the factory amp.

and I dont have L7 just the standard system
Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='803396' date='Feb 27 2009, 05:59 PM
Mag,

I spoke with Abraham at Earthquake, its seems maybe you spoke with him as well. He has advised me to bench test the subs before putting them in, and low an behold the sticking sub was broken. He told me the subs with the black cone are actually the newer subs over the white cone. He says that more then likely the sub was dropped during shipping or by the vendor or what not and that he hadn't hear of any large number of complaints at this time.

I heard back from my Ebay seller who advised me to try the unit first, if it didnt work they would take care of getting me a new one. So I am waiting to get my return authorization now.

The other sub sounds great, cant wait to get them installed. I hope your having good luck getting replacements as well.
Thanks for the update. Wish I had at least 1 working....haha.
Question - what does "bench test" mean ?

And yeah, Abraham sounds right. "Dropping the sub" --hmmm I call bullsh.....

By the way, nice pics. Its going to look good. Let us know how that 1 sub sounds....

Quick Reply: Earthquake SWS